Favorite Stand Up Comedians

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think we have some pretty good lists here, but I was wondering where people went for their comedy? I am gonna do a top 5 current, top 5 all time besides those current and all time favorites

Current (these top 3 I go back and forth on):
1. Colin Quinn: I saw his current one man show last summer in New York, and loved his last special. Funny, cynical and intelligent with a fun take on history.
2. Bill Burr: Love his take on relationships.
3. Louis C.K.: I am starting to feel a bit over-saturated by Louie, but that doesn't me he isn't still great. Was for a couple of year my absolute fav., but he has put out a few too many things of late.
4. Doug Stanhope: so dark, but still so funny. Saw him in New Orleans 2 years ago, will make you laugh and cry.
5.Jim Jefferies: Really funny guy. Very enjoyable getting to live vicariously through mistakes.
Honorable mentions: Joey Coco Diaz Nick Dipaolo, Keith Robinson, Patton Oswalt, Jim Norton, Ricky Gervais

All time:
1. Patrice Oneal: This guys made me laugh harder than anyone else. Brilliant logic. Always honest even when he was wrong.
2. Bill Cosby: I have definitely worn out my vhs copy of Bill Cosby himself that I got as a kid. Great story teller.
3. Chris Rock: I remember when I stole my brother Chris Rock cd as a kid, so funny and dark.
4. Bill Hicks: Real truth teller. Had some legitimately hilarious moments along with a few briliant political points.
5.George Carlin: Pretty much see above, but his language jokes were great.
Honorable mention: Mitch Hedburg.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I think we have some pretty good lists here, but I was wondering where people went for their comedy? I am gonna do a top 5 current, top 5 all time besides those current and all time favorites

1. Colin Quinn: I saw his current one man show last summer in New York, and loved his last special. Funny, cynical and intelligent with a fun take on history.
3. Louis C.K.: I am starting to feel a bit over-saturated by Louie, but that doesn't me he isn't still great. Was for a couple of year my absolute fav., but he has put out a few too many things of late.
4. Doug Stanhope: so dark, but still so funny. Saw him in New Orleans 2 years ago, will make you laugh and cry.
5.Jim Jefferies: Really funny guy. Very enjoyable getting to live vicariously through mistakes.
Honorable mentions: Joey Coco Diaz Nick Dipaolo, Keith Robinson, Patton Oswalt, Jim Norton, Ricky Gervais

All time:
1. Patrice Oneal: This guys made me laugh harder than anyone else. Brilliant logic. Always honest even when he was wrong.
2. Bill Cosby: I have definitely worn out my vhs copy of Bill Cosby himself that I got as a kid. Great story teller.
3. Chris Rock: I remember when I stole my brother Chris Rock cd as a kid, so funny and dark.
4. Bill Hicks: Real truth teller. Had some legitimately hilarious moments along with a few briliant political points.

My Lord this is too Easy .. Richard Pryor was the best of all time.. Bar None!:clap Everyone else is just everyone one else.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Riotbeard said:

All time:

My Lord this is too Easy .. Richard Pryor was the best of all time.. Bar None!:clap Everyone else is just everyone one else.

Pryor was great and very arguably the comedy GOAT (At least between him, Carlin, and a case can be made for Lenny Bruce in importance). Before my time, but I enjoy his specials. I will say if you shut off from stand up since Pryor you have really missed out. Also, like any art, it is subjective.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
There are a lot of good stand up comedians, I like Chris Rock and our Canadian guy, Russell Peters.

Like I already said, there was nobody who could make me laugh like late Robin Williams.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
There are a lot of good stand up comedians, I like Chris Rock and our Canadian guy, Russell Peters.

Like I already said, there was nobody who could make me laugh like late Robin Williams.

Russell Peters is great! Really funny guy!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Billie said:

I thought I would have to maybe explain who he is. Glad you know of him. I just love his jokes about different nationalities, his included.:D

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
Riotbeard said:
Billie said:

I thought I would have to maybe explain who he is. Glad you know of him. I just love his jokes about different nationalities, his included.:D

No he is great. One of the most popular comedians in the world but ironically not a household name in North America where he is from.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
the AntiPusher said:
Riotbeard said:

All time:u

Pryor was great and very arguably the comedy GOAT (At least between him, Carlin, and a case can be made for Lenny Bruce in importance). Before my time, but I enjoy his specials. I will say if you shut off from stand up since Pryor you have really missed out. Also, like any art, it is subjective.
Actually Riot, I didn't shut down stand up comedians since Richard Pryor. Yes Bill Cosby, George Carlin and Robin Williams , Eddie Murphy were all very brilliant.
During the early 90's Russell's Simmons HBO 's Def Comedy Jam was the best show at that time that produce the most extraordinary gifted group of comedians we will Ever see
Here is the legendary list.

Chris Rock
Chris Tucker
Steve Harvey
Bernie Mac
Jamie Foxx
Damon Wayans
Kenny Ivory Wayans
Bill Belamy
Monique
Martin Lawrence( I personally think he was the funniest person Ever on television)
Dave Chappelle ( the 2nd funniest, I hope he brings his show back )
Adele Givens
Ricky Harris.
Sommore
J Anthony Brown
George Wallace
Ricky Smiley
Robert Townsend
John Witherspoon(my top Dawg)
Eddie Griffin
The rest of the folks like DL hughley, Cedric the Entertainer, Mike Epps , George Wallace and others , personally I don't think of them as extraordinary funny because I knew folks in high school and college fraternity brothers who had more comedic talent then them.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
AP is right. Pryor was the best hands down. But you can't forget where he got alot his form from: Red Foxx.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:

I love him. He did a TV special a few years ago which was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He's very foul-mouthed, so for those who don't know him, you've been warned. If you don't mind that, you'll probably enjoy him.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hArumBDKlxc[/video]

Pryor and Carlin are classics.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
All time favorites are both dead: George Carlin (whom I agree on most things philosophically, besides just comedy) and Mitch Hedberg, whose weird style just made me LOL easily (and someone who has gone way too soon).

Honorable mention will have to go to Chris Rock (bullet control? Classic) , and Louis C.K.

On a different note, Jeff Dunham is awesome, especially Achmet the Dead Terrorist.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXY8DhSpFVw[/video]

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
AP is right. Pryor was the best hands down. But you can't forget where he got alot his form from: Red Foxx.
Thank you Kskate for reminding me of the man, Mr Red Foxx

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't know many of the above although Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and George Carlin crossed the pond to a degree.

I like close to the knuckle comedians - the likes of Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr, and great storytellers like Billy Connolly.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I love Chris Rock. He's filthy and foul-mouthed and so non-PC that he nails it. He literally has me in stitches, almost every time.

Denis Leary's No Cure for Cancer was another show I loved.

Sometimes Monkey Man - Lee Evans - has the same effect, and Billy Connolly, in his day - dunno what he's done lately...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have always liked Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor, as well as Eddie Murphy back in the early 1980s. Robin Williams was outstanding as well. Finally, the deadpan humor and telephone conversations of Bob Newhart were good too.