FAVORITE ACTRESSES

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Time for a new thread. In terms of acting ability, I have thought the world of Kate Winslet for years now. (I also find her to be quite fetching as well). Going back in time, I liked Emma Thompson, Ingrid Bergman, Penelope Cruz and Catherine Denueve. Oh, and how could I forget Diane Lane--simply marvelous in every way.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
All great actresses, brother!

I also love Bette Davis, Winona Ryder (more for her beauty!) and Judi Dench, Helen Mirren and a few other of them Dames from England...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks, Br. Kieran. How I left off Helen Mirren I will never know--she is right up there with me too. Who is your favorite Irish lassie, Kieran?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Thanks, Br. Kieran. How I left off Helen Mirren I will never know--she is right up there with me too. Who is your favorite Irish lassie, Kieran?

Oh, that's tough! Not so many I know, to be honest, but I know Irish actors. Orla Brady is a great actress and Saoirse Ronan is going good now too. Maureen O'Hara though! Pure legend! :)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I KNEW you'd mention Ms. O'Hara--one of my father's favorites. The Quiet Man--enough said

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Meryl Streep is probably my favourite actress. Rare to see her in a bad flick. I like a couple of shawn's picks too - Penelope Cruz and Catherine Deneuve. Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet are good on screen but I find them pretty irritating off it.

Other faves of mine are Katherine Hepburn, Susan Sarandon, Joely Richardson and Cate Blanchett. Really like Blanchett.

Hey guys, talking of Helen Mirren (a fine actress) - this interview with her in her younger days will make you foam at the mouth.... Siren...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymUV0hGplhs[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, she was something in the Seventies and Eighties. Sultry pussycat she was.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw Helen Mirren recently in a play in London, she played the Queen, and looks stunning still. I mean, she's gorgeous. But also, she's a fabulous actress. I like her and Judi Dench of that type of great British actress...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From the old days (i.e. dead): Loretta Young, Jean Arthur, Ginger Rogers, Carole Lombard, and my all time favorite was Greer Garson.

Long in tooth but still living: Helen Mirren, Judy Dench, Meryl Streep,

More recently: Julia Roberts, Keira Knightly, Kate Winslet, Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That would be Jennifer Lawrence, Murat. Rita Hayworth--nice.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Old school, Rita Hayworth ( not because she was an amazing actress, I just could not stop looking at her).
She was a great dancer though. Perhaps leaving aside (or even including) Ginger Rogers the best dance partner Fred Astaire ever had.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Isn't it strange to hear that Joan Fontaine only died on Sunday? A true relic of the Golden Era, no doubt about it. I wonder if there are any more stars of that period clinging on, in their 90's or older. Kirk Douglas maybe the last of them.

For the record, I thought Joan Fontaine's sister, Olivia de Havilland, was a cutie... :heart:

Olivia de Havilland is still alive! She's 97! Incredibly glad to hear that! :)

AND - she's older than Kirk Douglas! :wave :celeb:

But here's a titbit I got from Wiki, regarding their sibling rivalry:

The sisterly feud lasted until the death of Joan Fontaine in December 2013, even then, Joan Fontaine was determined to have the last word:

“I married first, won the Oscar before Olivia did, and if I die first, she’ll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!”

Amazing women... :clap

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
From the old days (i.e. dead): Loretta Young, Jean Arthur, Ginger Rogers, Carole Lombard, and my all time favorite was Greer Garson.

Long in tooth but still living: Helen Mirren, Judy Dench, Meryl Streep,

More recently: Julia Roberts, Keira Knightly, Kate Winslet, Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron.

Needed to add... Hedy Lamarr is on my list of all time most beautiful women.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oooo, Hedy Lamarr--ecstasy indeed. She lived within 25 miles of me right up until she died. I heard she would show up at the Fontainbleu Hilton now and then, the Eden Roc too. That was back in the day when those hotels were the swankiest in Miami Beach.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Oooo, Hedy Lamarr--ecstasy indeed. She lived within 25 miles of me right up until she died. I heard she would show up at the Fontainbleu Hilton now and then, the Eden Roc too. That was back in the day when those hotels were the swankiest in Miami Beach.

Not just beautiful, but brilliant too. She developed and patented technology (today I believe it is called spread spectrum), that paved the way for wifi, bluetooth and our cellphones.

http://urgentcomm.com/blog/mother-no-other

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You are correct, nehmeth, she did all that. She was from Austria, you know.

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
Kate Winslet, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Aniston, Lena Headey :)