Farewell & R.I.P.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Stuart Scott: Dead at age 49

The World of Celebrities respond to the news of Stuart Scott passing.

President Obama said in a statement, “I will miss Stuart Scott. Twenty years ago, Stu helped usher in a new way to talk about our favorite teams and the day’s best plays. For much of those twenty years, public service and campaigns have kept me from my family – but wherever I went, I could flip on the TV and Stu and his colleagues on ‘SportsCenter were there.'”

“Over the years, he entertained us, and in the end, he inspired us – with courage and love. Michelle and I offer our thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and colleagues,” the president added.

LeBron James posted an Instagram photo of himself laughing as Stuart grasps his hand. “Can’t believe you’re gone from us! I am deeply saddened because not only will [you] not be replaced as a anchor or reporter but more than that as a genuine cool person. What u did for our culture, bringing that Swag to reporting can only be copied (which I hear it today on tv watching sports). I would say not because they stealing your swag, it’s all out of RESPECT!” wrote the NBA superstar.

James went on, “It was always a breath of fresh fun air when u would show up and we’d chat up. Thank you so much for being u and giving us inner city kids someone we could relate to that wasn’t a player but was close enough to them. #RIPStuartScott #FuqCancer #GoneButSurelyNotForgotten.” The NBA also tweeted, “We lost one of the NBA’s most beloved commentators and reporters as well as a friend to so many of us at the NBA. Our deepest condolences to Stuart Scott’s family and colleagues at ESPN.”

Derek Jeter posted on Facebook, “The sports world lost a revolutionary and legendary voice today in Stuart Scott. Our condolences and thoughts are with Stuart’s family, friends and colleagues. ‪#‎RIPStuartScott.” And in a Twitter statement, the MLB said, “All of @MLB extends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of @ESPN anchor Stuart Scott. We will continue to #SU2C in his memory.”

Carson Daly tweeted, “Stunned and deeply sad about the passing of our friend #StuartScott. He was a true gift in many ways. God bless.” Nick Lachey wrote, “Sports fans everywhere should be mourning the passing of @StuartScott today. He was truly an undeniable, one of a kind presence. #RIP #ESPN.” Montel Wiilliams said, “Thoughts and prayers go out to the Scott Family and broader @espn family. RIP Stuart Scott. Let’s all make curing cancer a priority!” Football fan Melissa Joan Hart wrote on Instagram, “Rest In Peace!!”

Nick Jonas wrote, “Devastated by the news about Stuart Scott. You will be missed. #RIPStuartScott.” Katie Couric deemed Scott “a true inspiration.” Matt Lauer posted, “So sad to hear about Stuart Scott passing away. He had millions of fans for what he did on air and who he was off air! He’ll be missed!” “RIP Stuart Scott U will truly be missed. I’m sending so many prayers & love to your family this morning. UR were the definition of STRENGTH,” said Kevin Hart. Lil Wayne tweeted, “All love for Stuart Scott.”

“Very sad!!! RIP Stuart Scott sports center will never be the same!” shared D.L. Hughley. Invoking one of Scott’s signature catchphrases, Stephen Colletti tweeted, “The guy was as cool as the other side of the pillow. RIP, Stuart Scott. What a legendary dude.” Jordin Sparks commented, “RIP @StuartScott. :-( You inspired me so much. You finished your race, fighting all the way. Praying for your loved ones & family. <3″ And Chris Harrison said, “Hard to fathom a light like Stuart Scott could be extinguished You will be missed my friend.”

Sports enthusiast Alyssa Milano wrote, “Rest with the sports angels, Stuart Scott.” Freddie Prinze Jr. revealed, “Just heard about Stuart Scott’s passing. He was the 1st interview i ever did. I wished he was my father when it was over. RIP. #CancerSucks.” Josh Duhamel said simply, “Stewart Scott you will be missed. RIP.” And Russell Simmons reflected, “Sad to hear the passing of Stuart Scott. What a great man, father and a revolutionary in broadcast journalism…”

“RIP Stuart Scott. Met him at a Celtics playoff game years ago, and he was so alive, so happy. Thoughts w/ his daughters,” said Elizabeth Banks. Nicki Minaj tweeted, “#RIPStuartScott.” Gabrielle Union posted a quote from Scott’s July ESPY Awards speech on Instagram and reflected, “This was a man who was amazing at his job… but was an even MORE amazing father who never missed an opportunity to talk about his love of his children… that is how I will remember him, my friend … true gentleman, great man, fierce warrior, beloved father. #RIPStuartScott.”

Samuel L. Jackson wrote, “I had a lot of laughs with Stuart Scott & he was truly one of the Good Guys, beginning to end. RIP on da cool side of the pillow!!” Snoop Dogg also posted a Scott quote on Instagram and added “Rip. It was a pleasure knowing u!! #fuc cancer.” Josh Groban tweeted, “RIP Stuart Scott.” Sherri Shepherd shared, “Just learned of @StuartScott’s passing… worked w him once 12 years ago & always remembered a gentleman w a wicked sense of humor #RIP.”

“So sad to hear of Stuart Scott’s passing. He was an absolute gentleman, and one of the most positive people I’ve ever met. RIP Stuart,” tweeted Ben McKenzie. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said, “RIP Stuart Scott. You will never be forgotten.” Jake Owen revealed, “I used eat breakfast with TV on, with my twin bro Jarrod before school, just to see what @StuartScott would say on SportsCenter. #booyah.” Colin Hanks wrote, “Stuart Scott struck me as The Coolest Guy w the coolest job. He changed sports broadcasting forever, bringing humor, diversity, and humanity.”

Mark Wahlberg wrote, “The soul of ESPN and a true legend. #RIPStuartScott #BooYah.” Brother Donnie Wahlberg tweeted, “#RIPStuartScott.” Alfonso Ribeiro wrote on Instagram, “My friend Stuart Scott passed today. My heart is broken for his 2 daughters and his entire family. I will miss him greatly.” Brian McKnight noted, “#RIPStuartScott u will be missed my friend #damn.” Kiefer Sutherland, who led the ESPYs tribute, tweeted, “Stuart Scott passed earlier this morning. He was, is & always will be an inspiration. My thoughts are w/ his family.” Chris Rock further remarked, “Today we lost a hall of famer one of the greats. Booya!”

“My heart goes out to Stuart Scott’s family. He was a bright light in this world and will be missed by many…@ESPN #RIPStuartScott,” said Eva Longoria. Scooter Braun acknowledged, “RIP Mr. Scott. You lived. You inspired. You won.” Billy Bush shared, “I’ll never forget hearing #Booyah 4 the 1st time. My deepest condolences 2 the rock of Bristol #RIPSTUART. Sending love to [his daughters] Taelor and Sydni.” Olivia Munn’s message read, “RIP Stuart Scott. Thank you for showing the world your bravery and inspiring so many people. Now you go have fun up there and we’ll keep trying to kick cancer’s butt down here.”

LeVar Burton wrote, “RIP, Stuart Scott… May Angels guide thee on your way! #booyah.” The Rock said, “RIPMyFriend, while Ray J tweeted, “R.I.P to a legend Stuart Scott.You’ll be missed – #coolastheothersideofthepillow.” “Im very sad to hear Stuart Scott passed away. He set so many examples of how to do so many things for so many people. Rest In peace,” said baseball fan Eric Stonestreet. Dr Oz wrote, “I’m so saddened to hear of the passing of Stuart Scott. His innovative brand of sports reporting changed the game. He’ll be sorely missed.” Chris Evans further said, “RIP Stuart Scott. You were as cool as the other side of the pillow #booya.”

Justin Timberlake, who is part owner of the Memphis Grizzlies, tweeted, “A pioneer in sports and an amazing person. That voice and that energy! You will be missed, Mr. Scott. #booyah #RIPStuartScott.” Diddy said, “My man Stuart Scott!!!!! You will be forever missed! RIP #F*ckCancer.” William Shatner wrote, “Thoughts going out to the family of @StuartScott #booyah.” And Arsenio Hall posted, “No OJ or V-8 this morning. Straight Alka Seltzer homey! A horrible 4th day of 2015. The sports mic had no flava before Stuart Scott. RIP.”

Former soccer player Juan Pablo Galavis wrote, “What a SAD day… RIP Stuart Scott… Cancer has taken SO many good people that makes me SICK to my stomach… #HateCancer.” Sarah Michelle Gellar tweeted, “#BooyahInTheSky #Booyah #coolastheothersideofthepillow #RIPStuartScott.” Terri Crews reflected, “Honored to know and love my man @StuartScott. A true warrior and inspiration. Rest in Peace sir.” And Ken Jeong shared a picture of himself with Scott and commented, “Thank you @StuartScott for inspiring us all. A beloved icon, and more importantly, an amazing father and person.”

Skip Bayless tweeted, “RIP Stuart Scott. A good man.” Greg Anthony eulogized, “He was gracious, loving and kind. He was a father, friend and colleague @StuartScott above all else a wonderful human being of great courage.” “Can’t begin to count the number of late nights I spent on the couch with Stuart Scott, watching SportsCenter… then watching it again. RIP,” wrote Willie Geist. Josh Elliott said, “RIP Stuart Scott. A good man and loving father and, as ever, a fighter, to the last….,” further noting, “His singular ESPYs speech this past summer will always be Stuart Scott, at the height of his powers.”

Keith Olbermann said, “Godspeed Stu Scott. Proud to have known someone who persevered that long, that valiantly, that uncomplainingly.” Cris Carter wrote, “RIP Stuart Scott you will be missed. There will never be another. #BooYah.” Chandler Parsons said, “RIP Stuart Scott. Was an honor to meet you and watch you on @SportsCenter growing up. You will be missed.” Russell Wilson shared, “Rip @StuartScott. You did it right, @SportsCenter will never be the same. #GoneButNeverForgotten.”

Michael Jordan tweeted, “I can’t truly express how my heart feels for the loss of my bro @StuartScott The definition of grace & undeniable strength Luv u! #rip #SC.” Shaquille O’Neal wrote, “Rest in peace Stuart Scott , you will be terribly missed. Thank you for everything, love u brother.” Bill Simmons commented, “Rest in peace, Stuart Scott. A genuinely good guy.” “Incredibly saddened to hear about @StuartScott today. A great person and a true inspiration. My love to his family,” said Michael Sam.

“I just woke up & heard the sad sad news about my good friend Stuart Scott..he’s was the kind of guy who lived his life to the fullest and was always ‘as cool as the other side of the pillow’ may his soul Rest in Peace,” Dwyane Wade posted on Instagram. Richard Sherman tweeted, “Blessed to have known him. R.I.P. Stuart Scott you were a gift to all who knew you.”

“So saddened to wake up and hear of my friend @StuartScott’s passing. He was a true WARRIOR in every sense of the word. We will miss you Stu!” tweeted cancer survivor Lance Armstrong. Danica Patrick said, “Mornings like this remind me of how short life can be. Carpe diem and love like there is no tomorrow. Stuart Scott, you will me missed.”

Jon Lester tweeted, “Thoughts and prayers go out to the Scott and ESPN families. @StuartScott you will always be as cool as the other side of the pillow my man.” Robert Griffin III similarly wrote, “He was as cool as the other side of the pillow & will be missed. Prayers up @StuartScott & family #RIPStuartScott.” Blake Griffin also wrote, “RIP Stuart Scott you inspired many and changed the way people looked at sports… Forever as cool as the other side of the pillow.”

“#StuartScottSayings changed the game #BOOYAH #donthatetheplayerhatethegame R.I.P to a sportscasting Legend,” Kobe Bryant wrote on Twitter. Chris Paul posted a snapshot of himself with Scott to Instagram, saying, “Many of us have grown up to the legend that is Stuart Scott! He was one of those few people/idols that you meet and is a better person than you would’ve ever imagined. Proud to call him both a mentor and friend. My prayers and thoughts are with his family and especially his two beautiful daughters! Much LOVE and RESPECT! #RIP”

Andy Roddick shared, “I grew up w Stuart Scott guiding me through sports ……. I hate this news .. RIP.” And Tiger Woods said, “Stuart wasn’t covering heroes & champions, it was the other way around. Thinking of my friend & his daughters.”

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Stuart Scott: Dead at age 49

DarthFed said:
Can't say it any better than that AP. Just like many kids my age we were glued to Sportscenter hours on end and there was not a more entertaining and energetic anchor than Scott. Stuart brought that same energy to his long and inspirational fight vs. cancer. Cool as the other side of the pillow all the way to the end. RIP

For you buddy. I thought you may like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItE9gFU9Slc

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
This thread can be used to mention the passing of anyone.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Farewell to Ernie Banks. He was better known as Mr. Cub. An exceptional athlete and a wonderful person. :clap He was 83 and would have been 84 next week.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/23/us/ernie-banks-obit/index.html

erniebanks.jpg

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Mr Cub Ernie Banks passes at age 83. What a great Life:clap

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12219755/ernie-banks-former-chicago-cubs-great-dies-age-83

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
AP,

The family is holding a press conference later, but it will be announced that a month ago he fell and hit his head and he never recovered.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Hoops - NBA/Basketball Talk

1972Murat said:
RIP Dean Smith. He did so much for college basketball.

Wow.. The True Dean.. He legendary Man and Coach.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
We lost another sports icon: UNC's Dean Smith passed last night, he was 83. He won 2 NCAA championships coaching college basketball. He coached Michael Jordan back in the 80's. He will be missed.

Dean.Smith_.440.300.jpg

michael-and-dean.jpg

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12296176/dean-smith-former-north-carolina-tar-heels-coach-dies-age-83

Jordan had this to say about his former coach:
"Other than my parents, no one had a bigger influence on my life than Coach Smith. He was more than a coach – he was my mentor, my teacher, my second father. Coach was always there for me whenever I needed him and I loved him for it. In teaching me the game of basketball, he taught me about life. My heart goes out to Linnea and their kids. We’ve lost a great man who had an incredible impact on his players, his staff and the entire UNC family.”

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
We've lost the 4th sports icon in this very young year. Farewell to Jerry Tarkanian, a college basketball coach with UNLV that won a national title in 1984. He was 84.
AA9dNFa.img

AA9dAXo.img

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/hall-of-fame-basketball-coach-jerry-tarkanian-dies-in-vegas/ar-AA9guKj

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The older I get, the common place this sort of news becomes. Sad but a part of life. I'll always think of the towel chewing coach when I hear about UNLV.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Goodbye to Bob Simon. A long time war correspondent for CBS and 60 Minutes, was killed in a car crash in Manhattatn. He was 73. He's most remembered for being held prisoner for 40 days during the Gulf War in the 90's at an Iraqi prison. He's won 27 Emmy's and several Peabody awards and was well respected in the media community. He will be greatly missed.

AA9hl5I.img

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bob-simon-60-minutes-correspondent-killed-crash-article-1.2111975

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/60-minutes-correspondent-bob-simon-dies-in-new-york-crash/ar-AA9hl5K?ocid=iehp

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
steve strange died age 55. :(

the kid from cearphilly who wwnt to the infamous gig at said town by the sex pistols that was picketed and filmed by outraged Christian killjoys (clip in the great rock n roll swindle)..and ended up in London and started the blitz club' new romantic nightclub in soho..if you were not fabulous enough then you were not getting in.

the blitz club had culture club, Marilyn , and Spandau ballet used to be the house band for a bit (I think)..plus loads of other folk, he once turned away mick jagger at the door because he said jagger was too poorly dressed :cool:

he was also singer in new romantic group visage, mind of a toy / fade to grey etc. one of the people that helped lifted Britain out of the stultifying dismal gloom of the 1970s and changed the inside of more people's heads that is possible to calculate..

the explosion , and ramifications on fasihon, music..and thinking that burst out of the blitz kidz scene can still be felt today.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bob Simon--who spent 40 days as a captive along with other newsmen in Iraq during the Persian Gulf War--dies in his hometown in a car accident. Strange how things go. I always enjoyed his pieces on 60 Minutes. Two of his very best were of the Greek Orthodox monks on the holy mountain--Mt. Athos, as well as his definitive exploration of the Copts in Egypt (at least for folks in USA). They were both superlative examples of good reporting. Like Andy Rooney before him, he is one whose pieces I will miss. Prayers and condolences to his family. Requiescat in pace, Mr. Simon.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Farewell to former NBA star Jerome Kersey. No word on COD yet, he was 52.

ab83c3c48983f6df0da5f6f4d22b2957.jpeg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ex-blazers-f-jerome-kersey-dead-at-52/ar-BBhK0fk?ocid=iehp

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:

ab83c3c48983f6df0da5f6f4d22b2957.jpeg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ex-blazers-f-jerome-kersey-dead-at-52/ar-BBhK0fk?ocid=iehp

Really a shocker.. sad to hear

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:

Really a shocker.. sad to hear

Way too young. He's only two years older than me.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Doesn't even seem like he's been retired for 13 years. I remember Kersey well, really sad news

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
We've lost one of the Trekkies:

Leonard Nimoy, better known as Mr. Spock has passed away at the age of 83. He suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder even though he says he quit smoking 30 years ago. I loved his character and he will most assuredly be missed.

images

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/27/leonard-nimoy-spock-star-trek-dead-at-83/

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
We've lost one of the Trekkies:

Leonard Nimoy, better known as Mr. Spock has passed away at the age of 83. He suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder even though he says he quit smoking 30 years ago. I loved his character and he will most assuredly be missed.

images

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/27/leonard-nimoy-spock-star-trek-dead-at-83/

Oh wow. Just heard this. He created of one of the most iconic characters in the history of television. RIP