Farewell & R.I.P.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: FAVORITE ACTORS

kskate2 said:
Third icon this week has passed. Bid farewell to Ralph Waite better known as "Pa Walton". He was 85.

I used to watch The Waltons every week with my family. I absolutely loved that show, and Pa was a big reason why. A show that embraced teaching good values to younger folks. Can anyone tell me where such a show is now? (To be candid, I don't watch much network television any more).

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Bid farewell to Harold Ramis who died from an autoimmune disease. He was 69.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Passing of Tony Gwynn from Cancer

I saw a lot of him over the years--fantastic hitter and first ballot Hall of Famer. Only 54 years of age and salivary gland cancer took him. I have to question whether there is any connection to snuff or chewing tobacco--although I have not read much about it yet in the press.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: The Passing of Tony Gwynn from Cancer

^ Very sad to hear about Gwynn yesterday. I had heard he had cancer awhile back but was under the impression it was treatable. I am not the biggest baseball fan but I saw a fair share of him growing up and he is still the best hitter I've seen personally and that career average backs it up. He was a class act as well.

Gwynn does believe that chewing tobacco caused the cancer.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: The Passing of Tony Gwynn from Cancer

DarthFed said:
^ Very sad to hear about Gwynn yesterday. I had heard he had cancer awhile back but was under the impression it was treatable. I am not the biggest baseball fan but I saw a fair share of him growing up and he is still the best hitter I've seen personally and that career average backs it up. He was a class act as well.

Gwynn does believe that chewing tobacco caused the cancer.

Yes, I sad to learn of his passing and Tony was consistently the best pure hitter i seen also. I wished Tony would have done some anti chewing tobacco campaigns(ala Yul Brynner ads the moment he passed due to lung cancer)to help try to warn the younger generation of baseball and non baseball players the dangers of tobacco. May he rest in Peace and God Bless his soul.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
RE: FAVORITE ACTRESSES

Forgot to mention that Maya Angelou (86) and Ann B. Davis (Alice from Brady Bunch, 88) passed away earlier this month. Both will be greatly missed.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
James Garner passed away.

My favorite detective in "Rockford Files" is gone. The Maverick is no more!
86 years it took, but it's over.

images

Rest in Peace.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: James Garner passed away.

...and he was a big LA/Oakland Raiders fan ( good man ) who was often seen on the sidelines back in the day.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Robin Williams found dead in his home of an apparent suicide. Unbelievable. RIP Robin.

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/sheriff-...nt-suicide

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions

Robin Williams was truly a remarkable actor. One Hour Photo, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, Awakenings... So many excellent films and performances.

Not only did he excel very well in comedy, but also in drama. So sad, too, because last night I was thinking just how great he was. :(

RIP, Williams. You've always been one of my favourite actors. Very sad.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Man, Robin Williams...There was nobody like him, no? He just kept going. Honestly his stand ups and just random improvisations gave me so much more pleasure than his movies, but of course some of his movies like Dead Poet's Society made a huge impact on me. Just watching as a guest in Leno or Letterman was a treat.

Rest In Peace.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

Such sad news. Nobody could make me laugh like Robin Williams. May his restless soul now rest in peace.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Man, Robin Williams...There was nobody like him, no? He just kept going. Honestly his stand ups and just random improvisations gave me so much more pleasure than his movies, but of course some of his movies like Dead Poet's Society made a huge impact on me. Just watching as a guest in Leno or Letterman was a treat.

Rest In Peace.

Very tragic ending of someone who extracted pure laughter out of all of us but was simultaneously a very sad person inside. God Bless his soul and his family. I was a huge fan, as we all were , we grew up with this Man. I recall the brilliant Actor\comedian the late John Ritter, when he passed so suddenly, I felt as though I lost a brother since i basically grew up with him and Robin during my early childhood.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Sad to hear about Robin Williams...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Robin Williams was the successor to Jonathon Winters in a lot of ways. But, that comedic brilliance and quick mind, can come with a price. Addiction and depression are serious matters that can suck the life out of anyone. His interview with Diane Sawyer last year was telling--he spoke of how the addiction is like standing on a precipice and the "lower voice" inside says, "Jump", which he likened to being in a liquor store and the "lower voice" tells you, "C'mon ... you been sober for years. One little drink won't do anything."

I have seen that kind of addiction, depression and hopelessness than often accompanies it up close, and it is a frightening thing--terrifying to think that someone you love might do what Robin did. And the sad thing is, it is often something you can't help them with. It has to come from within, for the most part. When one loses hope and sinks into that abyss, the person is in grave danger. Requiescat in pace, Robin

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Very sad to hear about Robin Williams this week. I had heard in years past he was struggling with depression. Just plain sucks and shows how serious this illness really is. RIP Robin.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

The latest news regarding Robin Williams is that he was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease.. That is a deadly combination with severe depression.. I guess we all have to continue to count our blessings

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Stuart Scott: Dead at age 49

He was a very popular anchor who worked for ESPN since 1993. He's been battling cancer since 2007. He will be missed.

stuart-scott.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/01/04/sportscenter-anchor-stuart-scott-dead-at-4-espn-says/

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Stuart Scott: Dead at age 49

Thanks KS for starting this thread.. I was going to as soon as I landed from my travels this morning.

Stuart Scott was by far the most popular ICON at ESPN over the past 20 plus years that took ESPN to the next level. Stu had a style that probably wasnt well received by his peers and colleagues at ESPN but later made it just COOL to watch ESPN Sportscenter. He did things his was with saying such as Oh no you didnt girl, and the following:

1. “Like gravy on a biscuit, it’s all good!”

Scott accompanies this quote with a player having a career day or when a player makes a smart play.

2. “And the Lord said you’ve got to rise up!”

Bryce Harper hits a homerun as a rookie, giving the Washington Nationals the lead after trailing the Atlanta Braves at home.

3. “See, what had happened was…”

This is amongst Stuart Scott’s popular references. During the 2004 Eastern Conference Finals between the Pistons and Pacers, he teased Rasheed Wallace after throwing up an air ball from the 3 point line.

4. “Vlade Daddi, he likes to party, he don’t cause trouble, he don’t bother nobody.”

From Slick Rick’s “Lodi Dodi” covered by Snoop Dogg from the Doggystyle album. Pertaining to any Vlade Divac play, it gave the Sacramento Kings Center some much needed respect as he was rearing towards the descent into basketball irrelevancy.

5. “You ain’t got to go home, but you got to get the heck up outta here.”

No shade, Stuart Scott just wants to let you know you either struck out, or you messed up for getting ejected from a game.

6. “He treats him like a dog. Sit. Stay.”

After Allen Iverson broke a defender’s ankles, Scott dropped this one on the poor guy.

7. “Just call him butter cuz he’s on a roll.”

You hear this when someone is straight up balling!

8. “As cool as the other side of the pillow.”

Synonymous with plays consisting of a high degree of difficulty and executed with ease, this one is Scott’s most popular phrase. It plays into his demeanor on and off the camera as we know Stuart Scott to be the calm, cool and collected anchor on Sportcenter.

9. “Call him carwash cuz he’s automatic.”

You can thank former University of Kansas guard Jacque Vaughn for this one. He was money from the foul line, so clutch and dependable that Scott compared his mechanical synchrony to a carwash.

10. “They call him the Windex Man cause he’s always cleaning the glass.”

My background is very similar’ s to Stu, from Chicago( the West Side for me), grew up with Jordan first loving Carolina Blue and later the Bulls, the Bill Clinton and dot coms years and most importantly the Hip Hop era. As a young child, Rock was king but as a teenager, I have never seen something that transcended all cultures such as HIP HOP. Stu made himself a star by getting his audience to realize HIP HOP was Cool and was for all of US. Finally, Stu was a darn good anchor who probably had Presidents (Obama and Clinton); all the current sports legends Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, Tiger and Jeter on speed dial. How COOL was that! Rest in Peace my Brother, you lived a Good Life and I applaud your courage to face life challenges with grace and dignity. A Job well done Brother:clap

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Stuart Scott: Dead at age 49

Can't say it any better than that AP. Just like many kids my age I was glued to Sportscenter hours on end and there was not a more entertaining and energetic anchor than Scott. Stuart brought that same energy to his long and inspirational fight vs. cancer. Cool as the other side of the pillow all the way to the end. RIP