Fall Tennis 2014

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What do we see happening or want to see happen before the tennis year closes out? This is where we usually see the mental and physical fatigue. Who will be the ones to shine and who will crack?

I can see Serena defending Beijing (she plays well there) and YEC. Not sure how she will do in the debut at Wuhan. She certainly has her confidence back.

I hope Azarenka can make some noise this fall as she has plummeted in the rankings after the US Open. I don't want her meeting anyone super early at the AO 2015. I at least want her back with in striking distance of the top 10 come early next year.

Wozniacki can make some noise. I think she will be favored in Tokyo. It would be nice to see her in Singapore. I think she will want to at least get back into the top 8 before the end of the year to start off her AO 2015 campaign right.

I wonder is Halep and Petra will be able to finish strong after a weak US Open/summer campaign.

Maria Sharapova, I think will be the biggest question mark after her craptastic summer. Can she fix the terrible shape her game is in at the moment?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I would like to see Wozniacki add some offense to her game and also to make it to WTF.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be fair though, I think Wozniacki has added offense to her game hence her summer, but slam Serena is different from regular tournament Serena. Serena really didn't give her an opportunity to play offensively as the serve was working for most of the match and her returns were connecting beautifully. You can't really play any offense if Serena is serving bullets at you and returning bullets.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vika's ranking has dropped to 24 now.Vika has played 22 matches with 14 wins in 2014,due to her injury and being out of the first part of the year.I can't see Vika making any noise for the rest of this season.Vika usually does well in Australia,I will wait for the 2015 season to begin and then review Vika.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Vika's ranking has dropped to 24 now.Vika has played 22 matches with 14 wins in 2014,due to her injury and being out of the first part of the year.I can't see Vika making any noise for the rest of this season.Vika usually does well in Australia,I will wait for the 2015 season to begin and then review Vika.

I am not in favor of Vika making noise ;). But, I think it would be good if she move herself
upto at least in top 16 so that she has some decent chance at AO 2015.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Petra had her usual her usual USO campaign not making it past the 4th rd.I kind of had hopes for Petra at the USO this year,again she fails to deliver.
In regards to Halep it will be interesting to see how she recovers after her early exit at the USO.I feel she has to get mentally tougher.
I also have a question mark over Bouchard? she has pulled out of the Hong Kong tournament,where she was top seed,citing fatique.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

I am not in favor of Vika making noise ;). But, I think it would be good if she move herself
upto at least in top 16 so that she has some decent chance at AO 2015.

Regardless of the noise factor...;) unless Vika has a sudden turn around in form? I cant see it myself.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder whether Li will return to the tour to play in Asia. I think she will retire soon despite what her agent says.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Indeed,these rumours are still around,Li Na also talked about retirement last year
I really think this could be her last year,I said that before.She is still coachless as far as I know.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to Sharapova I didn't expect her to have a good HC season
Her game to me is suited to the slower conditions where she has time to set up her shots,her movement too isnt suited to the quicker conditions.It appears now Clay is the surface for Sharapova.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
10sfan said:
I wonder whether Li will return to the tour to play in Asia. I think she will retire soon despite what her agent says.

She surely will return for the Asian Swing at Wuhan and Beijing. I think she wants to win
big and/or perform well in these and then make the big announcement.

She mentioning retirement before, the coach leaving, she not playing USO all of them
point in that direction.

K

Kenneth

Can't wait for the next Grand Slam!!!
Williams said that her next plan is to get ready for Australia... Big plans!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am not sure about Australia as Serena seems to have bad luck down there now. I am thinking where Serena may make some noise next year is at the French and Wimbledon. I know she wants another Wimbledon as all she has talked about this summer is her disappointment there. She has had the US Open on lock for a while now, so I don't expect any weirdness there, and I expect her to go far there next year.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think she could have a good AO Sunday. She has won it 5 times, so she knows how to deal w/ the conditions. I think her off-season preparation will tell the tale if she's ready for a GS run down under. It also appears whatever issue she and Patrick had must have been resolved as she was seen hugging and celebrating w/ him after the win on Sun.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
I think she could have a good AO Sunday. She has won it 5 times, so she knows how to deal w/ the conditions. I think her off-season preparation will tell the tale if she's ready for a GS run down under. It also appears whatever issue she and Patrick had must have been resolved as she was seen hugging and celebrating w/ him after the win on Sun.

Apparently after the Wimbledon loss, Patrick told Eurosports that he and Serena decided they need a mini break up to assess where they both were at in the partnership. So he did his thing and she did hers, and they reconvened renewed and with new goals ready to move forward.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maria Sharapova is the second women to qualify at the WTA finals at Singapore.

Sharapova,reached the s/finals or better at seven WTA tournaments this year,including her Roland Garos title,as well as a pair of Premier clay court titles at Stuggart and Madrid.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
kskate2 said:

Apparently after the Wimbledon loss, Patrick told Eurosports that he and Serena decided they need a mini break up to assess where they both were at in the partnership. So he did his thing and she did hers, and they reconvened renewed and with new goals ready to move forward.

Are you saying that they are back together as a couple?

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I would pick Serena at Wimby and NY. She usually injures herself in Australia and does not have the mentality to win in France. The major count could be 20 this time next year. Hoping she can get to 23, but not optimistic.

My guess is that she and Patrick broke up and got back together. Not a bad thing. Sometimes this makes the relationship stronger.

It would be strange not to have Vika in Singapore.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
kskate2 said:

Not as a couple, they split for a bit as coach and player after Wimbledon. He confirmed it in a Eurosports interview recently. He said it was a means for regrouping and seeing whether when they reconvened that they had the same ideas of how to progress, or it was time to move on from the pairing as coach and player. Obviously, they saw it fit to continue moving forward with the pairing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
kskate2 said:

Not as a couple, they split for a bit as coach and player after Wimbledon. He confirmed it in a Eurosports interview recently. He said it was a means for regrouping and seeing whether when they reconvened that they had the same ideas of how to progress, or it was time to move on from the pairing as coach and player. Obviously, they saw it fit to continue moving forward with the pairing.

So, what is the situation about their relationship? Is it over?