Equal prize money

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad an honorable mention went to Hingis w/ all those Weeks @ #1... Too bad Henin didn't have more staying power! She was good!
Henin's one-handed backhand was often compared to the best of the men. I didn't ask them to...they just did. It was clean and economical. Pound-for-pound, it might have been the sweetest, cleanest one-hander in recent tennis. Like Federer's for sure. Thiem's and Wawrinka's rely on lots of back and power. Tsitsipas's has a lot of wind up and finish. But often even Roger's wasn't as swift and sweet as Henin's.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Henin's one-handed backhand was often compared to the best of the men. I didn't ask them to...they just did. It was clean and economical. Pound-for-pound, it might have been the sweetest, cleanest one-hander in recent tennis.
I saw Henin live at RG apart from her bhand, she was a great player on clay, little in stature, though she could handle the likes of Serena Williams, absorbed power well.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The money is about the market, not just about the tennis, I'm sorry to inform you.
You don’t have to think you’re informing me about this, since this is my point all along with regards to equal pay. Sharapova and Kournikova and Kei are not achieving disproportionate wealth due to their tennis. They’re winning beauty contests, local popularity contests. Their tennis wasn’t the sole source of their wealth.

In the discussion of equal pay, the tennis is the product, and in this the market has decided, so the women get paid less in their own events, because they earn less. I thought it was clear that this is what I was saying? If they want equal pay then let them pay themselves equal pay - but they can’t pay themselves equal pay because the market has decided.

Private sponsorships are nothing to do with the discussion of equal pay.

Secondly, though, because you contradict yourself, or expose your own prejudice. If the men's and women's games aren't comparable, then how can you say that the women haven't been as great at their own game? And even if you are comparing them, you run into the very subjective to say they haven't been as "popular" or as "interesting."

It’s not prejudice, unless you can explain how it is, to say that men’s tennis is greater. Just put them on a court together and see. And is it prejudice, that you prefer the men’s game?

And yes, there’s haves been great women tennis players. That’s not a contradiction either. It’s a relative term.

The men’s game is stronger, and always has been, because men and women are different, and one of the ways they’re different is in the ways they compete with each other. In life, in business, in sports, and this is due to the fact of their different genders. Men are generally more ruthlessly competitive in a direct, confrontational way. Women are competitive differently. They’re suddenly armwrestling in pubs or chucking coins against a wall during a bored moment while waiting for a taxi. Men are ferociously direct in their competitiveness, and I’d defy anyone to say otherwise.

This is nature at work, going back to the primal slime, that men have had to fight to survive, and protect. And women have largely had to be competitive differently.

Of course, now you’ll say, that’s wrong because Serena, Martina etc, but of course there are exceptions and the exceptions among the women are the great players. But we still face the differences between the genders that are true - despite the revolutionary agenda of the loony left - and they apply clearly in the way they’re both differently competitive. So this is why you have so many easy matches in the WTA, historically, and even still. This is why people - yourself included - prefer the men.

It’s also unfortunately why people have ignorantly said of Martina and Serena, “ugh, she’s like a man.” They compete like men, with a ferocity and direct naked hostility that we more often see in the men’s game.

It may irritate you to wait for a men's match while "the hens are busy shanking," but let's not pretend that the women of much more importance and talent have waited while the lesser men are battling it out for 5 sets, when neither one is really going anywhere.
It does irritate me. I’d rather watch two of the boys singles at times, at least I’d see something interesting. But of course there have been great women players waiting for the makeweight useless players among the men to finish. But I doubt the women mind this - I’m sure they’re grateful to be getting equal pay at that same event… ;)

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know why it bothers you so much the notion of "equal."

It’s the modern usage of the word, which seems to imply “the same.” They’re equal in dignity as humans, as we all are and should be treated as such - but we’re not the same, our talents and gifts are different, and so are our behaviours. It’s one of the things that modern politics has gotten drastically wrong - and largely this is a USA thing - is not accepting that the two genders are different.

You know who I blame for that.
I think the only argument has been equal pay at coed events, which they mostly have, except Rome, so I'm not sure why you go on about it.
I don’t think they earn equal pay at any event. I don’t mind that they get it, by the way, and I like the co-ed events, but I think the equal prize money is given to them as a gesture, and I think people shouldn’t complacently think that it’s because they’re doing something equal to the men.

If they separated the tours and played the slams at different times to each other, the laws of gravity would apply.
They've only been owed it in coed events, which is fair. Certainly those events have deemed it fair.
They’re not owed it at co-ed events. They’re given it because they’ve been successful activists who have whined about inequality and sexism. It’s been given to them because it can be, and because it’s more politic to give it to them.
But you're talking about these forums existing in the time of a great Renaissance in men's tennis. The era of the Big 3 and Big 4. If we had forums going back to the 70s, there would definitely be times when the women's got more traffic, including even than the men. That's not really a great barometer.
Well, that’s a good point, but I think the forums have reflected what’s always been true of tennis, which is that the men’s game is the big draw. The default setting. And this is true, as far back as I can remember, going back to the days of Chrissy and Martina and their 6-0 6-0 matches all the way to the quarter finals.

By the way, and you might remember this since we’re on all the old forums together, but it was a complaint of mine - and still is, when I think about it - that the men’s game under the rule of the Big 3 became like the WTA. I remember saying it back when Roger was rolling through the field and his opponents were grinning at the net after a defeat, happy to be there while Roger sliced through them like butter. That the men were setting WTA-style records. It was a comment that meant I felt the men’s game wasn’t as competitive as it used to be. I said something similar with regards to Rafa winning so many French, and the Three getting so many cheap and handy slams, while the field seemed to be under the influence of tranquillisers.

I never meant it as a compliment…

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We can compare across the ATP and WTA in a similar way that we can compare across eras within men's (or women's) tennis. For example, we can compare how dominant Evert was to the context she played in to how dominant Serena was to hers, just as we can compare Connors and Federer in a similar way.

But where it becomes tricky is that the contexts change. Slams are different in value and difficulty, depending upon era. Elo helps us there, as to the rankings. Meaning, we can get an approximation.

But comparing the WTA and ATP adds a different layer of difficulty, beyond that of comparing across eras within one: the dynamics of the tour itself, the way talent pools, and whether or not those factors and others impact dominance.
I think these comparisons are inevitable in some ways, particularly given how politicised everything is, and this is why BJK trod into the discussion of Novaks achievement: she thought Steffi’s achievement was relevant to the discussion.

But really, I never compare the records of the men and the women, largely for the reasons you say. They’re apples and oranges. They’re not playing under the same conditions. They’re not competing with each other. They’re different, and women have their own measure of greatness according to their game, and men have theirs.

They’re different, and trying to compare them actually does both of them a disservice, while at the same time feeling a bit like a fake endeavour…

Reactions: Moxie and El Dude

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It does make me sad that anyone needs to clarify that any question of comparison is surely not about level of play, because comparing levels between men and women "borders on parody." The women don't really ask to be compared to the men. It's astonishing how aggressive the men get, though, when even a whiff of it comes up, and by that I also mean male tennis players. This all started just from saying that Novak passed Steffi's record. I get BJK started it when she said that he hadn't passed the ultimate record in tennis until he'd passed hers. But can't we give women some real space in sports that's deserved? We women know we're not bigger or stronger. We know that our fast-twitch muscles are not as great, though our slow-twitch ones are greater, for endurance. (Here me on Bo5.) We don't jump as high, and we don't have the same muscle mass for power. (We do tend to be much more flexible, although Djokovic has proven himself to be as flexible as some female gymnasts. Which should also mean that some women have the strength of some men, and it probably does. That for another day.)

Sports have been designed around men's strengths since the Greeks. Maybe if women had created games, they could be also have been created around ours. But, even still, men are stronger. We get it. But we want to play sports. Men could be generous about it, and encouraging, or they could act like we're intruding on their territory, which they often do. Always reminding us that women are lesser in sports. Complaining about the pay women get. Why not be generous? As I say to people around here, the tennis money isn't yours, so why should you even care how it gets distributed?

This Nike ad is from 1995, but it has never left my mind:

I think the women do ask to be compared to the men. This is why there’s a clamour for equal pay in sports. And why BJK brought it up, about Steffi, as if her record is to be compared to Novak’s record.

I do have some sympathy with what you’re saying, but women aren’t being marginalised in sports, their sports are being promoted like they’ve never been before. The other day I went into the BBC sport app and had to scroll down to reach the first story about men’s sports. I’m not complaining about this, I think it’s positive thing that women sports are getting publicity and encouragement, and I certainly think they’re being pushed to a prominence that they never had before, and this push isn’t because women’s sport is as great as men’s or hugely popular, but I still say it’s a good thing. I have have nieces, I have female friends who play sports. It’s a good thing that women’s sports are getting publicity and this will encourage girls to participate.

I dislike the idea that somehow this means their sports are the same as the men’s though. I watched the World Cup and some girl who plays parks football was a panellist on the discussions for some matches. It was novel but uninteresting - and we all know she’s there because politics. It’s okay for men to have their own space too. I equally dislike when McEnroe commentated on women’s matches. We have great women players who know what it’s like to play women’s tennis, I prefer to hear from them.

But the World Cup commentary reminded me of this great Harry Enfield sketch:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan's BH is the one who could've hit through Novak's brilliant defense. For my money's worth, that's the BEST one handed BH ever..Thiem at his Best was a close second

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nicest hair? Roger..
Puhlease…..

1677847940733.jpeg
1677848019757.jpeg
1677848084437.jpeg
1677848205236.jpeg
1677848262425.jpeg

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It does make me sad that anyone needs to clarify that any question of comparison is surely not about level of play, because comparing levels between men and women "borders on parody." The women don't really ask to be compared to the men. It's astonishing how aggressive the men get, though, when even a whiff of it comes up, and by that I also mean male tennis players. This all started just from saying that Novak passed Steffi's record. I get BJK started it when she said that he hadn't passed the ultimate record in tennis until he'd passed hers. But can't we give women some real space in sports that's deserved? We women know we're not bigger or stronger. We know that our fast-twitch muscles are not as great, though our slow-twitch ones are greater, for endurance. (Here me on Bo5.) We don't jump as high, and we don't have the same muscle mass for power. (We do tend to be much more flexible, although Djokovic has proven himself to be as flexible as some female gymnasts. Which should also mean that some women have the strength of some men, and it probably does. That for another day.)

Sports have been designed around men's strengths since the Greeks. Maybe if women had created games, they could be also have been created around ours. But, even still, men are stronger. We get it. But we want to play sports. Men could be generous about it, and encouraging, or they could act like we're intruding on their territory, which they often do. Always reminding us that women are lesser in sports. Complaining about the pay women get. Why not be generous? As I say to people around here, the tennis money isn't yours, so why should you even care how it gets distributed?

This Nike ad is from 1995, but it has never left my mind:

I agree with the spirit of what you say, and I hope you don't take what I'm saying as denigrating of women - I'm not. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why I think there should be some differentiation between men's and women's tennis...as soon as you open the door with comparison, things get muddy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don’t have to think you’re informing me about this, since this is my point all along with regards to equal pay. Sharapova and Kournikova and Kei are not achieving disproportionate wealth due to their tennis. They’re winning beauty contests, local popularity contests. Their tennis wasn’t the sole source of their wealth.

In the discussion of equal pay, the tennis is the product, and in this the market has decided, so the women get paid less in their own events, because they earn less. I thought it was clear that this is what I was saying? If they want equal pay then let them pay themselves equal pay - but they can’t pay themselves equal pay because the market has decided.

Private sponsorships are nothing to do with the discussion of equal pay.
I appreciate all of your considered responses to mine. And I don't want to hijack to Rankings thread with much more discussion of equal pay, but hopefully the admins will indulge it a bit longer.

The above is where I disagree with you a bit, and has always been part of my argument for equal pay at coed events: The popularity contest, if you will, as evidenced by private sponsorships DOES have much to do with the discussion of equal pay. Not everyone watches tennis, on TV or in person, purely for the game. You need only have paid attention to coverage of Serena's retirement, (or should I write "retirement?") to see that she (and Venus) brought a lot of Black fans to tennis who had never before cared about the game. Li Na is single-handedly credited with a tennis boom in China, (girls AND boys.) These things don't just sponsorship money in their own pockets, but have monetary value to the game of tennis.

Because it's impossible to parse out who attends/watches the coed events by what proportion for men or women, I think it is fair to give equal pay. You can resent that for being too PC if you like, but I see a lot of arguments for it.

Another point of yours that I will address is that there's always a lot more interest in the men's game. Part of this is that men watch more sports than women, and they tend to watch and prefer men's sports. There is a cultural aspect to this. Many girls aren't raised to like sports...in fact, there are certain cultural aversions to it. (Think of what it took for Ons Jabeur become a top tennis player.) So, while boys are encouraged to watch and play sports, girls are much less so. Of course, these ideas are changing, somewhat, but it is a real thing that the gateway to sports for plenty of women is a man in their lives and/or boy children. So a lot of women come to sports via men's sports. It's pretty hard to argue for the opposite.

As to me, you point out that I focus on men's tennis. Yes, I do. That has much to do with this being the era of the Big 3, which you agree is a decent point. Because of that, the people on our forums that I tend to be friends with and debate with participate more on the ATP forum. I talk to the people I know and like to talk to, (or dislike and enjoy tweaking. LOL.) In the time we've been together on all of these various forums, there has been a fair revolving door of top women players, so it hasn't been as easy to care about them. I am a fan of the Williams sisters. I loved Ash Barty, but she quit early. I really have a lot of faith in Swaitek, but have had my heart broken by any number of the women I have backed in recent years, so it's hard to get up for the conversation. But that's the state of women's tennis now, but not forever.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The above is where I disagree with you a bit, and has always been part of my argument for equal pay at coed events: The popularity contest, if you will, as evidenced by private sponsorships DOES have much to do with the discussion of equal pay. Not everyone watches tennis, on TV or in person, purely for the game. You need only have paid attention to coverage of Serena's retirement, (or should I write "retirement?") to see that she (and Venus) brought a lot of Black fans to tennis who had never before cared about the game. Li Na is single-handedly credited with a tennis boom in China, (girls AND boys.) These things don't just sponsorship money in their own pockets, but have monetary value to the game of tennis.
I would think of these as different businesses, in our agreed meaning of the term business. Private monies to an individual don’t mean that equal pay is just. They get that because their own personal attribute appeals, whether it’s to nationalism, or glamour mags, and it doesn’t really refer to the equal pay debate, for me. I know they can create a tennis boom and if the tennis boom in China means that the women’s game is more popular than the men, then pay them more than the men. I’m not going to complain, it’s the market decides.

Because it's impossible to parse out who attends/watches the coed events by what proportion for men or women, I think it is fair to give equal pay. You can resent that for being too PC if you like, but I see a lot of arguments for it.

We can guess the breakdown of who attends/watches etc, by the stats relating to their separate tours. The men generate a bigger income at theirs, so it’s not impossible to imagine that theirs is the more popular at the coeds.

By the way, they get equal pay at the coeds so this isn’t really a discussion anymore, other than to understand why they got it, which I think is largely down to successful activism based on bad faith politics. People aren’t sexist for preferring men’s sports in general. I enjoy the coeds myself for the reason that they’re all there and it’s traditional, and that actually in itself is bargaining power enough for the women, without stretching plausibility by suggesting they’re equal to the men or that their game is as good. And this is why I roll my eyes when BJK pops up to correct us about a man’s achievement.

Also I vaguely remember a woman tennis player complaining that men get paid more, and this is why I suggest that she should ask her paymasters - the WTA - why they’re not paying her more.
Another point of yours that I will address is that there's always a lot more interest in the men's game. Part of this is that men watch more sports than women, and they tend to watch and prefer men's sports. There is a cultural aspect to this. Many girls aren't raised to like sports...in fact, there are certain cultural aversions to it. (Think of what it took for Ons Jabeur become a top tennis player.) So, while boys are encouraged to watch and play sports, girls are much less so. Of course, these ideas are changing, somewhat, but it is a real thing that the gateway to sports for plenty of women is a man in their lives and/or boy children. So a lot of women come to sports via men's sports. It's pretty hard to argue for the opposite.
I get what you’re saying about cultural reasons why women are excluded and I agree and hope that things are getting better in that regard. Like I say, I have nieces, sisters etc, I’m not in favour of anything that holds women back in sports. But the popularity I’m largely referring to is in the west, and though women’s sports are being pushed heavily in the media, there’s still a preference among women for the men’s tennis, and sports in general.

And by the way, it’s not just an effect of the Big 3. These things aren’t transactional. Even during the heyday of Chrissy and Martina, we had bigger players in the men, even when they were less successful than Borg. Greater depth. Men and women are different when it comes to competitiveness and that translates into early round matches in slams, upsets, and all the way to the top of the game. The women’s game in general has thrown up a lot of mediocrity, and this is even at the higher level.

I remember my sisters and mother would ask when Borg or Becker were playing, but they weren’t so much interested in Evert or Navratilova.

I was, because I’m a tennis fan, but in my whole years of watching, I’d never say the women give as much value as the men. They’re far more predictable. Well, until the era of the Big 3, actually, where the men’s game resembles the WTA, and that’s a problem.
As to me, you point out that I focus on men's tennis. Yes, I do. That has much to do with this being the era of the Big 3, which you agree is a decent point. Because of that, the people on our forums that I tend to be friends with and debate with participate more on the ATP forum. I talk to the people I know and like to talk to, (or dislike and enjoy tweaking. LOL.) In the time we've been together on all of these various forums, there has been a fair revolving door of top women players, so it hasn't been as easy to care about them. I am a fan of the Williams sisters. I loved Ash Barty, but she quit early. I really have a lot of faith in Swaitek, but have had my heart broken by any number of the women I have backed in recent years, so it's hard to get up for the conversation. But that's the state of women's tennis now, but not forever.
The both games go through phases of lesser quality, transitioning from one era of great players to another. Barty is certainly a loss for the women, and I’m surprised she Borged out so early, but only she knows.

Tweaking posters is the best reason to be here… ;)

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would think of these as different businesses, in our agreed meaning of the term business. Private monies to an individual don’t mean that equal pay is just. They get that because their own personal attribute appeals, whether it’s to nationalism, or glamour mags, and it doesn’t really refer to the equal pay debate, for me. I know they can create a tennis boom and if the tennis boom in China means that the women’s game is more popular than the men, then pay them more than the men. I’m not going to complain, it’s the market decides.

We can guess the breakdown of who attends/watches etc, by the stats relating to their separate tours. The men generate a bigger income at theirs, so it’s not impossible to imagine that theirs is the more popular at the coeds.

By the way, they get equal pay at the coeds so this isn’t really a discussion anymore, other than to understand why they got it, which I think is largely down to successful activism based on bad faith politics. People aren’t sexist for preferring men’s sports in general. I enjoy the coeds myself for the reason that they’re all there and it’s traditional, and that actually in itself is bargaining power enough for the women, without stretching plausibility by suggesting they’re equal to the men or that their game is as good. And this is why I roll my eyes when BJK pops up to correct us about a man’s achievement.

Also I vaguely remember a woman tennis player complaining that men get paid more, and this is why I suggest that she should ask her paymasters - the WTA - why they’re not paying her more.

I get what you’re saying about cultural reasons why women are excluded and I agree and hope that things are getting better in that regard. Like I say, I have nieces, sisters etc, I’m not in favour of anything that holds women back in sports. But the popularity I’m largely referring to is in the west, and though women’s sports are being pushed heavily in the media, there’s still a preference among women for the men’s tennis, and sports in general.

And by the way, it’s not just an effect of the Big 3. These things aren’t transactional. Even during the heyday of Chrissy and Martina, we had bigger players in the men, even when they were less successful than Borg. Greater depth. Men and women are different when it comes to competitiveness and that translates into early round matches in slams, upsets, and all the way to the top of the game. The women’s game in general has thrown up a lot of mediocrity, and this is even at the higher level.

I remember my sisters and mother would ask when Borg or Becker were playing, but they weren’t so much interested in Evert or Navratilova.

I was, because I’m a tennis fan, but in my whole years of watching, I’d never say the women give as much value as the men. They’re far more predictable. Well, until the era of the Big 3, actually, where the men’s game resembles the WTA, and that’s a problem.

The both games go through phases of lesser quality, transitioning from one era of great players to another. Barty is certainly a loss for the women, and I’m surprised she Borged out so early, but only she knows.
I hear you, and I appreciate that you hear me. I think we've said what we can. If I missed something you'd like me to address, LMK. Otherwise, I'd call it a day.
Tweaking posters is the best reason to be here… ;)
Absolutely!

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with the spirit of what you say, and I hope you don't take what I'm saying as denigrating of women - I'm not. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why I think there should be some differentiation between men's and women's tennis...as soon as you open the door with comparison, things get muddy.
Sorry, I should have responded to this earlier, rather than just giving it a "like." I do not think you denigrate women, for the record. I know this conversation gets fraught. But words have meaning, so you know if will call them out.

I agree that all comparisons get muddy, even within the gender lines, which is why I fight you on so many of them. You love to look for a mathematical formula that will answer questions, or to pose them differently. All good fun. I don't believe in a GOAT, and I find the comparisons to be eventually within the margin for error/personal opinion.

Going back to where we started on this Rankings thread, and for what it's worth, even Forbes headlined Novak passing Steffi's record, and Novak did post a video noting the event, to his fans. As I said, like it or not, these comparisons will be made and acknowledged.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There’s something touching about Denis Shapovalov’s entry into the the gender equal pay row. He didn’t know that the WTA don’t pay their players as much as the men get. This isn’t new. A lot of people don’t realise that the women’s tour doesn’t pay as much as the men’s. I’d have thought a tennis professional would know this, but against this, it could easily be filed under “one of those things we take for granted.”

Shapo made statements in The Players Tribune, regarding equal pay, after discovering that his girlfriend, who is also a professional, wouldn’t get the same pay as a male player of the same level, which is 250.

I said to Mirjam, “Oh, great! You’ll get at least $7,000 just to be in the main draw.”

She just looked at me like I was completely new to tennis. I’ll never forget it.
She was like, “Denis … I think it’s like a thousand dollars.”
I was like, “What are you talking about? How is that possible??”
He then goes onto talk about the huge costs of being a professional tennis player, International Women’s Day, the gender pay gap in tennis, and how he thinks is this is unfair. He says it’s damaging for tennis, though since he didn’t actually know about it until five minutes ago, it’s hard to recognise where the damage is being done.

I still don’t understand the thought process. Some say women don’t sell as many tickets, but when I go to matches the stadiums are full. I took a picture of the stands when Mirjam was playing Daria Saville at the WTA 250 in Washington, D.C., in August last year. It was packed. The game was crazy intense. The quality was unbelievable.

Saville won the third set in a tie break. The men were playing a 500 tournament there at the same time.

The male winners in the first round got $14,280.

Saville got $4,100.

And yet, I’m sure he’ll acknowledge that there is a thought process, and it’s taking place within the WTA, and it related to available finances for prize monies. Perhaps he should do more research other than “when I go to matches the stadiums are full.”

Maybe they fill up when they know you’re there, chap?

He gives us a great insight to his tennis development, and how his mother was treated as his coach by technocrats who thought they knew better. It’s a great story and achievement by him and his team to succeed at the level he has, and he has a genuine dislike of discrimination because of how his mother was treated, and this seems to be appropriate.

But I think he also has a typical modern political idea of equality and rights which gets in the way of understanding what real opportunity and rewards are about. In one part he says that the battle for equal pay is blocking participation, but he also had to acknowledge that actually women’s tennis is a great place for female athletes. He thinks equality is simply that we should say that the genders are equal, therefore they’re the same, therefore they should get paid the same. Anything other than this, he thinks, it’s discrimination.

It’s an interesting read, and though I disagree with him on so many of his statements, he’ll hopefully have pointed many people to the paymasters of women’s tennis, and hopefully they can explain why they pay less than the men.

And why the two tours and their participants are very different…