Equal prize money

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We have to move on from Chrissy and Martina those days have gone, the WTA has really good depth and they are some good players. Serena and Venus of course are in the twlight of their careers.Agree they need stability. Remember too nothing ever stays stat in our game, I miss Graf, again those days have gone. I dont think we compare the different era's in tennis for starters, there are a lot of different variables, in the different era's. I also can find mens tennis boring when the top 2 players seem to be winning all the majors, the up and coming players in the ATP, to me have not got the mental ability eg Sasha and The Young Greek, tennis is 80% mental those 2 players have a lot to learn in that department.
I’ve long moved on from Chrissy and Martina - they’re like 30 years ago? - but the women’s game has never excited me since then. Even the most wimpish of the men are more interesting than the best of the women’s. There was the season where I was rooting for Serena to finish the CYGS, but she balked against a nobody, but otherwise, just general tepid fare…

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve long moved on from Chrissy and Martina - they’re like 30 years ago? - but the women’s game has never excited me since then. Even the most wimpish of the men are more interesting than the best of the women’s. There was the season where I was rooting for Serena to finish the CYGS, but she balked against a nobody, but otherwise, just general tepid fare…
Well I suggest you take another look :) some male posters here dont even watch the womens game at present, they are still quick to critize, still living in the 70's and 80' lol! which really annoys me no end.Fiero425 is a prime example btw, only comes on to the WTA post to critize.,never watches the present WTA tour. The Wimbledon final between Ons vs Rybakina was a good contest, a contrast of styles, better than the mens final in my view.
As I said nothing remain stat in our game,that is just a fact of life. BTW I have never liked 'wimpish men' LOL!

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I suggest you take another look :) some male posters here dont even watch the womens game at present, they are still quick to critize, still living in the 70's and 80' lol! which really annoys me no end.Fiero425 is a prime example btw, only comes on to the WTA post to critize.,never watches the present WTA tour. The Wimbledon final between Ons vs Rybakina was a good contest, a contrast of styles, better than the mens final in my view.
As I said nothing remain stat in our game,that is just a fact of life. BTW I have never liked 'wimpish men' LOL!
Not sure we’re “living in the 80’s and 90’s.” We’re capable of keeping an eye on the ladies while waiting for something to happen. :lulz1:

I think the women’s game is what it is - nothing more. I always much preferred the men’s game, for obvious reasons.

But if you can explain to me clearly a reason why I should prefer what the women offer, sure, I’ll listen. I’m reasonable. I’m patient. If the women’s games from 1977-now is presented to me is such a compelling narrative that I’ll switch - I’ll switch.

And demand and argue that they should get equal pay to the men…

:popcorn

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I still think the Ladies need BO5 in slams, it's much harder to have an epic match with BO3. The BO5 just allows for more excitement & drama etc. Also I think the Wta really need some intense rivalries, like a Nadal v Federer or Nadal v Djokovic long lasting rivalry.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure we’re “living in the 80’s and 90’s.” We’re capable of keeping an eye on the ladies while waiting for something to happen. :lulz1:

I think the women’s game is what it is - nothing more. I always much preferred the men’s game, for obvious reasons.

But if you can explain to me clearly a reason why I should prefer what the women offer, sure, I’ll listen. I’m reasonable. I’m patient. If the women’s games from 1977-now is presented to me is such a compelling narrative that I’ll switch - I’ll switch.

And demand and argue that they should get equal pay to the men…

:popcorn
If you read my original post , I cannot see woman getting equal pay, as we have been down this road before, even if the ATP and WTA joined as one, I still can't see it happening

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I still think the Ladies need BO5 in slams, it's much harder to have an epic match with BO3. The BO5 just allows for more excitement & drama etc. Also I think the Wta really need some intense rivalries, like a Nadal v Federer or Nadal v Djokovic long lasting rivalry.
I have no problem with winning playing the BO5 in GS, still it is all about bums on seats,which means money.At present there is more interest in the mens game, fans are prepared to pay money to watch them.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I have no problem with winning playing the BO5 in GS, still it is all about bums on seats,which means money.At present there is more interest in the mens game, fans are prepared to pay money to watch them.
I can only speak for Wimbledon as I have not attended the other 3 slams & don't know the pricing. Firstly Wimbledon is a rip off...

The Ladies + Mens SF tickets both cost £210 a ticket, both sold out. Same for finals both Mens + Ladies sold out & sell out every year. This year tickets for each final was £240! I think that is very expensive for a sporting event, but just an example 15,000 people were willing to pay £240 to see the Ladies final!!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I can only speak for Wimbledon as I have not attended the other 3 slams & don't know the pricing. Firstly Wimbledon is a rip off...

The Ladies + Mens SF tickets both cost £210 a ticket, both sold out. Same for finals both Mens + Ladies sold out & sell out every year. This year tickets for each final was £240! I think that is very expensive for a sporting event, but just an example 15,000 people were willing to pay £240 to see the Ladies final!!
I know Wimbledon is very expensive, it is the most expensive of all the GS slams, my daughter went and could not believe the price of the food, let alone the tickets
RG is expensive just depends what courts you want to go to, Chatrier is the most expensive, Lenglen which is the better viewing court not soo much, even a day pass is expensive
Come on down to Australia our Rod Laver main court for finals.s/finals, etc are well priced, also day passes are cheaper.Also with Rod Laver is it a great viewing court, even if your up at the top levels, you see the players, not like 'ants' lol!. Also we have 3 roofs on our stadiums

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s the predicament for them, because if they play best of 5, I believe it’ll turn more people off. But they do deserve to try, and so I think they should trial it at some of their own events, play the whole thing best of five and see how it goes. Maybe it’ll be a success and then they can produce it at a slam, but either way, they’ll know..

Reactions: TheSicilian

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

I went to the USO in 2018 for the 1st and 2nd rounds. There was a package that gave me an assigned seat in Ashe and a grounds pass for the other courts for the first 3 days (Mon-Wed) for a total of 6 sessions. The price is based on where your seat in Ashe is located. I sat in row F of the 3rd level. That package costs me about $360. But the tickets for the SF and F were much more expensive.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I went to the USO in 2018 for the 1st and 2nd rounds. There was a package that gave me an assigned seat in Ashe and a grounds pass for the other courts for the first 3 days (Mon-Wed) for a total of 6 sessions. The price is based on where your seat in Ashe is located. I sat in row F of the 3rd level. That package costs me about $360. But the tickets for the SF and F were much more expensive.
That sounds good! Did you think it was good value for money? https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/tickets_and_ticket_prices.html That's the prices for Wimbledon this year, it's cheaper at the start of the tournament but quickly becomes more expensive. Also with Wimbledon you have to enter a ballot to purchase tickets so it's random which day you will get & how much you will have to pay, if you get lucky in the draw... It's funny as we rarely win tickets in the ballot, but we also enter my Nonna who knows nothing about tennis, she doesn't understand how to score, has never played tennis, has never even watched a full tennis match, yet she almost always wins in the ballot lol. In the last 8 years she has won the ladies final tickets twice!! 2013 & 2018 :astonished-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a question regarding the No 1 weeks as player has at No 1,
Novak Djokovic has just surpassed Graf in the number of weeks at No 1 player
I was/am a big fan of Graf and was lucky to see her play live
Why does the ATP combine men and women in this category, when some other stats they are separate?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a question regarding the No 1 weeks as player has at No 1,
Novak Djokovic has just surpassed Graf in the number of weeks at No 1 player
I was/am a big fan of Graf and was lucky to see her play live
Why does the ATP combine men and women in this category, when some other stats they are separate?
I don’t think they’re combining them, but when Novak got a certain amount of weeks as #1, BJK said he didn’t hold the record. As she naturally would, as if the women’s record put the men in the shade. So since then it’s become a thing, far as I know, that we have to be clear about these things in case we offend BJK, who thinks the men and women are in the same business.

We’re too polite, really… :popcorn

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t think they’re combining them, but when Novak got a certain amount of weeks as #1, BJK said he didn’t hold the record. As she naturally would, as if the women’s record put the men in the shade. So since then it’s become a thing, far as I know, that we have to be clear about these things in case we offend BJK, who thinks the men and women are in the same business.

I am a 'realist' not to offend BJK, you cannot compare men and women in the game of tennis, apologies also to Bobby Riggs:)

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

They ARE in the same business. The tennis business. It's the same game. They've been playing the same Majors for 100+ years. I'm not trying to get into the debate about men being "better," but just to say that comparing records is sometimes irresistible and will be done. Look at El Dude's ELO rankings thread...it smushed men and women together on the list. (He did say he didn't necessarily agree with that.) I don't mind, for example, noting that Rafa has won more times at a single Major than anyone in tennis, women included, when he did have to pass Court's 11 AOs and Martina's 9 Wimbledons. I don't think there's anything wrong with noting that Novak has the most weeks at #1, men or women, either. There are many things that they play in common and are scored the same, including rankings.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They ARE in the same business. The tennis business. It's the same game. They've been playing the same Majors for 100+ years. I'm not trying to get into the debate about men being "better," but just to say that comparing records is sometimes irresistible and will be done. Look at El Dude's ELO rankings thread...it smushed men and women together on the list. (He did say he didn't necessarily agree with that.) I don't mind, for example, noting that Rafa has won more times at a single Major than anyone in tennis, women included, when he did have to pass Court's 11 AOs and Martina's 9 Wimbledons. I don't think there's anything wrong with noting that Novak has the most weeks at #1, men or women, either. There are many things that they play in common and are scored the same, including rankings.
Sorry that does not answer my original question? I still think it is not fair to compare women to men especially in the area of the No 1 of weeks as a number one player, I mean Graf's record is outstanding to say the least, still I feel it should be separate, just my thoughts

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

After woman allowed that caveman/animal called Trump to be president, I threw away my feminist card! I listened and tried to support them as much as possible, but I'm done w/ their whining and acts of hypocrisy! The top women can't beat a good college male so they need to stop gaslighting each other! Slowly I'm seeing how they've hurt their own movement over the years w/ tons of single mothers & men not willing to put up w/ their BS and demanding natures!:astonished-face: :sneezing-face::yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry that does not answer my original question? I still think it is not fair to compare women to men especially in the area of the No 1 of weeks as a number one player, I mean Graf's record is outstanding to say the least, still I feel it should be separate, just my thoughts
It doesn't lessen Graf's record to say that Novak surpassed it on the men's side. It's just a point to be made in terms of general tennis records, and I think they can be made. If you don't want the men's and women's records ever to be compared, that's your choice, and your opinion. I respect that. I'm fine if they are, especially at the top of the charts. I'm not saying it means much, I'm just saying it's interesting.

I don't remember anyone freaking out when Novak was going for the Golden Career Slam and it was mentioned that the only one who has it in tennis is Steffi Graf. It was a reasonable observation, and tennis fact.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It doesn't lessen Graf's record to say that Novak surpassed it on the men's side. It's just a point to be made in terms of general tennis records, and I think they can be made. If you don't want the men's and women's records ever to be compared, that's your choice, and your opinion. I respect that. I'm fine if they are, especially at the top of the charts. I'm not saying it means much, I'm just saying it's interesting.

I don't remember anyone freaking out when Novak was going for the Golden Career Slam and it was mentioned that the only one who has it in tennis is Steffi Graf. It was a reasonable observation, and tennis fact.
I never said it lessen Graf's record to begin with. What I am saying those types of records should be separate like other mens and wins stats are separate.You have missed my point., btw it shows how good Graf actually was., a poster carrying on about the womens tour in this post just likes to 'be little the women's tour' it just shows the posters ignorance as far as I am concerned. I brought it up now, seeing Novak has just surpased Graf's record which I feel is a valuable point by the way.
BTW for example Djokovic still trails in the most overall singles titles, if the woman were mentioned 2 woman are above Jimmy Connors who still hold the most mens singles titles?
Navratilova 167
Evert 157
Connors 109?
These records are separate.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
They’re not in the same business. If they were, the women would have an argument in favour of equal pay. They’re not playing the same majors, they’re playing men’s and women’s majors, which are completely different categories. Comparing the records isn’t really inevitable. We’ll always think, ‘Yeah but that’s women’s tennis’, which is enough of a statement to show that their records are not comparable to the men.

And by the way, I like women’s tennis occasionally, sometimes, but in this day and age there’s always politically motivated attempts to shoehorn every male and female activity into the same box to create a false idea of “equality”, and it only serves to highlight the differences. Fans tend to notice this, more especially when it comes to the sport Americans call soccer, but generally across all the sports. We know they’re very different…