Equal prize money

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Marta Kostyk had asked a question on Twitter, regarding women’s prize money: “are we really that bad?”

I suppose she ought to take this up with the WTA: if the women want equal pay, then why aren’t the WTA paying them equal pay? Are they sexist?

:popcorn

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Marta Kostyk had asked a question on Twitter, regarding women’s prize money: “are we really that bad?”

I suppose she ought to take this up with the WTA: if the women want equal pay, then why aren’t the WTA paying them equal pay? Are they sexist?

My question is what is she comparing that to? There's only one 500 level WTA event going on this week in Berlin. I haven't looked at the prize $$ offered there so I know not if it's comparable.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
My question is what is she comparing that to? There's only one 500 level WTA event going on this week in Berlin. I haven't looked at the prize $$ offered there so I know not if it's comparable.
She’s comparing it to Halle, where the prize money for three men is about 3 times the total financial commitment up the women for a similar sized event.

Halle’s prize money is €2,134,520, and its total financial commitment is €2, 275,275, whereas the Bettiopen in Berlin has a total financial commitment of €757,900.

Both are 500’s, and the inequality in pay can be found across all tournaments of equal size, I believe, except when the two tours combine to make one event, like at the slams…

Reactions: tented and kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She’s comparing it to Halle, where the prize money for three men is about 3 times the total financial commitment up the women for a similar sized event.

Halle’s prize money is €2,134,520, and its total financial commitment is €2, 275,275, whereas the Bettiopen in Berlin has a total financial commitment of €757,900.

Both are 500’s, and the inequality in pay can be found across all tournaments of equal size, I believe, except when the two tours combine to make one event, like at the slams…
I agree, she needs to take that to the WTA. But sponsors have something to do w/ the amount of prize $$ too. This Berlin tourney is new. Gerry Weber and Queens are older and more established. Besides, I'm looking at Coco right now and I see pics of mattresses on the billboard. What?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree, she needs to take that to the WTA. But sponsors have something to do w/ the amount of prize $$ too. This Berlin tourney is new. Gerry Weber and Queens are older and more established. Besides, I'm looking at Coco right now and I see pics of mattresses on the billboard. What?
The upcoming Rothesay international at Eastbourne (mens 250) has a prize money of €697,405, where the Rothesay Open at Nottingham (womens 250) has a total financial commitment of $251,750.

I suppose they have taken it up with sponsors, but sponsors don’t pluck these figures out of thin air. The point being, I suppose, can we safely assume the inequality in pay is simply down to sexism?

Reactions: tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The upcoming Rothesay international at Eastbourne (mens 250) has a prize money of €697,405, where the Rothesay Open at Nottingham (womens 250) has a total financial commitment of $251,750.

I suppose they have taken it up with sponsors, but sponsors don’t pluck these figures out of thin air. The point being, I suppose, can we safely assume the inequality in pay is simply down to sexism?
Probably. But to answer her original tweet. Maybe from the outside looking in, they are that bad. I mean look at the inconsistency at the top of the women's game. Before Ash and Iga were #1, it was a revolving door. Maybe the powers that be won't petition for equal prize $$ if they can't be guaranteed an equally superior product. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, JS.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

This is one of the WTA’s motivations to merge with the ATP: it would assure equal prize money if everyone is grouped together.

This tweet also is a reminder to the debate as to why women should be paid the same as men at GSs, when men play best-of-5, but not women. (I looked at the responses to her original tweet and spotted this issue.)

• Wow
Reactions: Fiero425

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is one of the WTA’s motivations to merge with the ATP: it would assure equal prize money if everyone is grouped together.

Of course. This makes sense for them: join with the more successful men’s tour, then wail about the pay discrepancy, clamour loudly for more by claiming they’re being deliberately held back.

And yet, as things stand now, I imagine that if the women were being paid more than the men by their own organisation, they wouldn’t want equal pay. They’d be happy with being paid more than the men.

The fact that they have their own tour actually means they get to control their own pay. At the moment, they’re out in the market and earning a fair price for their product…

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I always wondered where the prize money comes from. I guess it's a combination of sponsor's, broadcast revenue & ticket sales? I wish the ladies would play best of 5 matches. With all the equality and fighting for equal pay $$$. I would like to see some fight for equality for 5 set matches. The ladies must see the epic 5 set men's matches & wish they could play them too. Epic 5 set matches in SF / Finals etc would make women's tennis more popular which would probably increase the prize money in non slam events...

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a free market. Women are getting what they deserve. They should dissolve the WTA and join the ATP if they want equal pay.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We have gone down this path before, even if the WTA joined the ATP would that necessary bring them equal pay? I doubt it, when this was first brought up, remember there were a lot of male players that think women do not deserve to have equal pay,first and foremost they dont play the best of 5 in Grand Slams, just recently the new tournament director of Roland Garos, a women, Mauresmo, cited womens tennis was on the boring side and a reason they were not given more night matches, which was prime time viewing on the TV especially in France.Bums on seats, means money on the tennis tour, a fact more tennis fans will pay to watch a mens match over a womens match, the likes of Serena Williams and Venus Williams, who could bring a crowd in, is long gone.,these two champion players are in the twilight of their careers, probably this year we will see them both retire.WTA needs say more stability and consistency in their Top players, at present I can count on one of my hands the players that can provide that, it is good to have good depth, which I feel the WTA does have at present.Fans like to see a good rivalry between players, the ATP has it, presently the WTA does not.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Pay-per-view would put this to rest. Players get paid each match for eyeballs which are directly related to ad revenue and sponsorship dollars. Equal pay for its own sake isn’t reasonable. Money has to come from somewhere.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s a free market. Women are getting what they deserve. They should dissolve the WTA and join the ATP if they want equal pay.
But if they do this, why should they get equal pay? The fact is, they control their own pay now and don’t give themselves equal pay. This tells the whole tale. If they join with the men’s tour, wouldn’t the men be essentially subsidising them, in the cause of some bogus notion of “equality?”

tented

Administrator
Reactions
But if they do this, why should they get equal pay? The fact is, they control their own pay now and don’t give themselves equal pay. This tells the whole tale. If they join with the men’s tour, wouldn’t the men be essentially subsidising them, in the cause of some bogus notion of “equality?”

Do you mean this in terms of the prize money discrepancy?

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, men would be subsidizing the women. I don’t think that should be the case, but there are a lot of unreasonable things going on in the name of “fairness”.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Women can’t give themselves equal pay because they can’t draw high enough revenues from ads. This isn’t rocket science. Either players don’t understand how money flows through the system or they do and insist on more money regardless.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

This tweet also is a reminder to the debate as to why women should be paid the same as men at GSs, when men play best-of-5, but not women. (I looked at the responses to her original tweet and spotted this issue.)

Pipe dream IMO! IMO Europe has never made it equitable between the men & ladies! The 2 Majors finally relented IIRC! The interest just isn't there IMO! The star draws aren't around! The Williams' come and go, Osaka run off, Barty retired, & inconsistency throughout the tour! I'm hoping Iga can bring stability to the WTA ranks! Her run stopped at Wimbledon, but it was very impressive with 6 straight event wins including the FO! In the past the women's game had a stronger following in Asia & North America IIRC! I don't pay as much attention and haven't in years! I remember the early years of trying to have dual events! Way back when, it was only Martina & Chris for a while in the early to mid 80's! They were being spread thin by making sure at least one of them was playing the lone event of the week! They finally got some help with Graf, Sabatini, & Seles! Graf could be playing Gabby in FLA., while Martina was battling Seles @ Paris Indoor! Now it's no big deal to have multiple events every week like the men, but the money hasn't caught up; esp. in Europe! :fearful-face: :shushing-face::shushing-face::astonished-face:

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Pipe dream IMO! IMO Europe has never made it equitable between the men & ladies! The 2 Majors finally relented IIRC! The interest just isn't there IMO! The star draws aren't around! The Williams' come and go, Osaka run off, Barty retired, & inconsistency throughout the tour! I'm hoping Iga can bring stability to the WTA ranks! Her run stopped at Wimbledon, but it was very impressive with 6 straight event wins incuding the FO! In the past the women's game had a stronger following in Asia & North America IIRC! I don't pay as much attention and haven't in years! I remember the early years of trying to have dual events! Way back when, it was only Martina or Chris for a while in the early to mid 80's! They were being spread thin by making sure at least one of them was playing the lone event of the week! They finally got some help with Graf, Sabatini, & Seles! Graf could be playing Gabby in FLA, while Martina was battlting Seles @ Paris Indoor! Now it's no big deal to have multiple events every week like the men, but the money hasn't caught up; esp. in Europe! :fearful-face: :shushing-face::shushing-face::astonished-face:
I find the women’s game to be very easily avoidable, to be honest. Iga is a breath of fresh air, and Naomi-Me-Me! looked interesting until she began trolling the sport and its fans, captured by modish “causes” and victim narratives. Really not a person I could cheer for, and it seems I don’t even have to root against her.

But womens tennis has never really been the main act for me, and the idea of them taking up court time by playing best of five would cause me to shiver. They need stability and commitment to excellence to win over the fans. It’s a pity Ash retired because a rivalry between her and Iga would be a lifeline.

A basic straw poll of every forum I’ve ever been on shows that the men’s game is the big draw, and that’s the way it was during the heyday of women’s tennis, when Chrissy and Martina were bossing the game…

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I find the women’s game to be very easily avoidable, to be honest. Iga is a breath of fresh air, and Naomi-Me-Me! looked interesting until she began trolling the sport and its fans, captured by modish “causes” and victim narratives. Really not a person I could cheer for, and it seems I don’t even have to root against her.

But womens tennis has never really been the main act for me, and the idea of them taking up court time by playing best of five would cause me to shiver. They need stability and commitment to excellence to win over the fans. It’s a pity Ash retired because a rivalry between her and Iga would be a lifeline.

A basic straw poll of every forum I’ve ever been on shows that the men’s game is the big draw, and that’s the way it was during the heyday of women’s tennis, when Chrissy and Martina were bossing the game…
We have to move on from Chrissy and Martina those days have gone, the WTA has really good depth and they are some good players. Serena and Venus of course are in the twlight of their careers.Agree they need stability. Remember too nothing ever stays stat in our game, I miss Graf, again those days have gone. I dont think we compare the different era's in tennis for starters, there are a lot of different variables, in the different era's. I also can find mens tennis boring when the top 2 players seem to be winning all the majors, the up and coming players in the ATP, to me have not got the mental ability eg Sasha and The Young Greek, tennis is 80% mental those 2 players have a lot to learn in that department.

Last edited: