Dominance of the Big Three

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
What would you consider to be prime Roger? He lost to Nalbandian in 2003 at the USO, Kuerten in 2004 at RG, Safin in 2005 at the AO, JMDP in 2009 at the USO, Soderling in 2010 at RG, Berdych in 2010 at Wimbledon, Tsonga in 2011 at Wimbledon, etc.

No matter what, though, you’re right — he rarely lost at majors, especially considering how many he won during that same period.

2004 - early 2010 IMO. So yes there are the 3 weak losses there you mentioned. If we are looking at Nole he had the 5 I mentioned as well as Nishikori USO 14 and Querrey Wimbledon 2016.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
2004 - early 2010 IMO. So yes there are the 3 weak losses there you mentioned. If we are looking at Nole he had the 5 I mentioned as well as Nishikori USO 14 and Querrey Wimbledon 2016.

I assumed you wouldn’t include beyond 2011, so I didn’t mention Nishikori or Querrey. But other than the losses mentioned above, the only other guys he lost to from 2004-early 2010 were Rafa and Novak — two ATGs, as you pointed out. All in all, an amazing run at majors. The other factor worth mentioning is that he played in every one of them during this period.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Psst, you may want to look at Roger's slam record against Stan and Murray and note the 1 loss to each was 2013 and 2015 respectively. Put Roger in his prime against those guys 10 times in majors spread out amongst the 4 what would we expect his record to be? 17-3 would be disappointing

The point is Andy and Stan were not one Slam wonders, and at their best were formidable beating all the top players.

Nole losing to them hardly constitutes some loss of greatness, of course Nole did win four Majors in a row on all surfaces so it’s not like he didn’t amply demonstrate his dominance.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The point is Andy and Stan were not one Slam wonders, and at their best were formidable beating all the top players.

Nole losing to them hardly constitutes some loss of greatness, of course Nole did win four Majors in a row on all surfaces so it’s not like he didn’t amply demonstrate his dominance.

Andy and certainly Stan could have been one slam wonders if they didn't get past Djoker...if we really want to go down the line I don't think Murray would be happy to see any decent version of Roger in the finals of Wimbledon and USO even in place of Djokovic. Stan has no prayer vs Federer on anything but clay.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The current streak of big-three is the third longest streak of big-three.

First one was 18 Majors starting from 2005 RG win by Ralph to 2009 Wimby win by Fed - broken by JMDP at USO.

Second one was 11 majors starting from 2010 AO by Fed to 2012 Wimby by Fed - broken by Andy at USO.

Third one is the current streak of 10 started by Roger at 2017 AO.

If one of the big three wins this Wimby the current streak will tie with the second longest.

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^Crazy. I'm really hoping we have a new Slam winner this year, though.

Stefanos Tsitsipas, US Open. You heard it here first.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Crazy. I'm really hoping we have a new Slam winner this year, though.

Stefanos Tsitsipas, US Open. You heard it here first.
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. And I think most of us believe that Tsitsipas is going to do it first, of the youngsters.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. And I think most of us believe that Tsitsipas is going to do it first, of the youngsters.

My money is on Theim.

Technically he’s not a youngster, but if we include everyone outside the big 3.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If JMDP did not win that final match against Fed in 2009 USO, the Big Three would have had a streak of THIRTY consecutive slam wins. :cool:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My money is on Theim.

Technically he’s not a youngster, but if we include everyone outside the big 3.

At RG, yes, but not at Wimbledon. I'd give several players a better chance. USO maybe, but even there I still think Tsitsipas is more of a threat.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would put some money on Thiem for USO (not Wimbledon) and Tsitsipas too, but the greek played plenty of tennis so far this season with a lot of matches on clay so I worry how fresh he will be. He is young and looks to have plenty of energy, so hopefully still enough left for USO.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If JMDP did not win that final match against Fed in 2009 USO, the Big Three would have had a streak of THIRTY consecutive slam wins. :cool:

That was one of the rare times when Federer had only himself to blame for losing. He allowed his emotions to take control, and failed to play his best. He was twice two points from the match, IIRC.

Reactions: Moxie