Criminal One Hit Wonders

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The worst one hit wonders in memory??

List them on this thread with the crime committed.

Starters...

Joe Dolce "Shaddapa yer face" was Number 1 in the Uk for 3 weeks.

The crime? Keeping the great anthem "Vienna" by Ultravox from ever reaching top spot.

The evidence...

Renee and Renato... I actually like this song in a silly nostalgic way... but it kept Eye of the Tiger by Survivor away from the top slot for a period in 1982. Bickler and his boys eventually hit number one, but it should have been for a longer stretch...

List your crimes to humanity from the world of music in this thread....

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This was a one-hit wonder song back in the day. I dunno if it reached the top, but I admire the frugality of the video, and how they skimped on wardrobe...

Content is not for watching in work!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I always let Sabrina off due to her non-musical assets. Remember that song well buddy!

+ I always thought it had a catchy rhythm.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
britbox said:
The worst one hit wonders in memory??

List them on this thread with the crime committed.

Starters...

Joe Dolce "Shaddapa yer face" was Number 1 in the Uk for 3 weeks.

The crime? Keeping the great anthem "Vienna" by Ultravox from ever reaching top spot.

The evidence...

Oh boy ... that was criminal. I've always loved Ultravox's Vienna, especially in the context of the album, listening to Western Promise first.

R

Rose

^^ Why does this song sound so familiar to me when it isn't being sung in English which is sadly the only language I can understand?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lol feb/march 1981 when joe dolce screwed up the singles chart, apart from ultravox the other song around then I Loved (still do) was the re-relrease of adam and the ants..kings of the wild frontier single which also got to no2. dunno if joe dolce was responsible for that as well..joe dolce wasn't even Italian :huh: a con artist as well as sh1te music.

Sabrina ?.."boysboysboys..im looking for a good time" with her boobs threatening to escape all over the totp studios lololololol. :snigger..i liked 99 red/luftballons a song about the spectre of nuclear war, in the same year as the oft mentioned 'Threads' film/tv movie.

whataboutthe awful Christmas 1980 horrorfest, st winifrids schoolchoir..theres no-one quite like grandma.:s:mad::gross: pls don't poast the vid, no way can anyone want to hear that again..unless anyone owns up to "secretly" liking it..no1 for 3 weeks also I think.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Chris Isaak - Wicked Game comes to mind

The crime? It wasn't me in the video with Helena Christensen.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
in feb 1967 englebert humperdink had a no1 with "Please release me"..a dreary spew inducing ballad that never seemed to end :huh:

the crime being that it kept The Beatles: Strawberry Felds Forever / Penny Lane, awesome double a-sided single off no1..for me the most glorious 8 minutes or so of music you can get on 2 sides of a 7ins single.

I just remembered Mr E. Humperdink had plenty of other "big hit singles"..but my rage against that song clouded my memory..so not a one hit wonder but..still a crime I think.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Good one! And rather than put another crappy song in everyone's head (and I had some crappy ones in mind)…

I watched "20 Feet From Stardom" yesterday, a documentary about back-up singers. Merry Clayton was injured in a car accident in June. She'll be OK, but will likely have a long recovery. A crime against music is that she has long been the answer to the trivia question: "Who sang the back-up solo on 'Gimme Shelter?' and nothing much more.

A short clip from the film tells the story of how it came to be, and extracts her solo track, which is amazing.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
This was a one-hit wonder song back in the day. I dunno if it reached the top, but I admire the frugality of the video, and how they skimped on wardrobe...

Content is not for watching in work!

[video=youtube]

You might like this one even more :snigger For the guys it's particularly entertaining around the 1:20 mark onwards :blush:;):D If you're going simply by the videos she had loads of hits btw :D

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's two great hits she has! :laydownlaughing

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure if John Farnham was a one hit wonder or not. He's got a few popular songs on Youtube, but in the britbox household he is guilty as charged.

But, this songs ranks as one of greatest of all time on the BB Jukebox.