1968 HITS (AND MISSES) ARCHIVES

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf (a #2 record--mono 45 single version)...​

A different recording from the more commonly-reissued album track, this was the follow-up single release to the group’s other #2 hit “Born To Be Wild”

Pop Chart Peaks: Cash Box 2, Billboard & Record World 3.

Magic Carpet Ride (instrumental & acapella)​

what follows is AI produced, separated instrumental and vocal track of Steppenwolf's 'Magic Carpet Ride', track 7 of their 1968 album 'The Second'.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

MacArthur Park - Richard Harris (a #2 record--mono 45)​

Too much information to include here, but the interesting back-story of this iconic Jimmy Webb song and its recording by actor Harris is summarized on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacArth...)

Pop Chart Peaks: Pop Chart Peaks: #2 on Billboard, Cash Box & Record World

The 45rpm single was issued on Dunhill 4134 - MacArthur Park (Jimmy Webb) by Richard Harris.

MacARTHUR PARK--RICHARD HARRIS (NEW ENHANCED VERSION)​

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very rare video produced for British show Top of the Pops...

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I usually like original versions of songs, but this is one where I prefer the Donna Summer remake. I feel like she perfects the song. I don't really get the same feeling with the original.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I usually like original versions of songs, but this is one where I prefer the Donna Summer remake. I feel like she perfects the song. I don't really get the same feeling with the original.
thanks, I ll see what i can find online and post a thread of it. I prefer to find some variations such as mono and stereo mixes, different edits and deconstructions.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The Who - "Magic Bus" Live, Beat Club (Germany) November 16th 1968​

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Everly Brothers on the Smothers Brothers Show​

On 27 October 1968 the Everly's appeared on the Smothers Brothers show and performed their current record Mama Tried and then perform in a small musical comedy sketch!

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dion on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

Abraham, Martin And John - Dion (a #2 record--mono 45)​

Upscaled to 1080p.
Original live performance video edited and AI remastered with HQ studio sound.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Brooklyn Roads - Neil Diamond -​

1968 UNI Records (55065-S) (STEREO)Flip Side: Brooklyn Roads - Neil Diamond (STEREO).
Reached no. 58 on Billboards Hot 100Produced by: Chip Taylor.
Audio from a 45 rpm 7" single -

Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell (a #2 record--mono 45)​

Though several previous releases (including his classic 1967 singles of “Gentle On My Mind” and “By The Time I Get To Phoenix”) scored well on the Country music charts, this Jimmy Webb song marked Glen’s first appearance in the national ‘pop’ Top 10.

Pop Chart Peaks: Cash Box 2, Billboard & Record World 3The 45rpm single was issued on Capitol 2302 - Wichita Lineman (Jim Webb) by Glen Campbell, conducted & produced by Al De Lory -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The Horse - Cliff Nobles & Co. (a #2 record--mono 45)​

Though this was merely the instrumental backing track for the A-Side vocal “Love Is All Right” , it turned out to be the hit.

Pop Chart Peaks: Billboard 2, Cash Box & Record World 4

The 45rpm single was issued on Phil-L.A. of Soul 313 - The Horse (Jesse James) by Cliff Nobles & Co., arranged by Bobby Martin, produced by Jesse James !

Classical Gas - Mason Williams (a #1 record--mono 45)...​

Multiple Grammy-winning guitar instrumental by the versatile musician, composer, stand-up comic, comedy writer, and poet who gained famed in the late ‘60s for his Emmy-winning work on “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.”

Pop Chart Peaks: Cash Box #1, Billboard & Record World #2The original 45rpm single was issued on Warner Bros.-Seven Arts 7190 - Classical Gas (Williams) by Mason Williams, arranged and produced by Mike Post..

Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat (a #1 record--mono 45)​

Worldwide best-seller by the French conductor was among the top instrumentals of the 1960s in the U.S. A later Mauriat remake with different orchestration is also commonly available.

Pop Chart Peaks: Billboard, Cash Box & Record World #1Original U.S. 45rpm issue on Philips 40495 - Love Is Blue (L’amour est bleu) (Popp-Cour) by Paul Mauriat & his Orchestra

Lullaby From Rosemary's Baby · Krzysztof Komeda · Mia Farrow (from the film "Rosemary's Baby")

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Cream - White Room - 45 RPM ORIGINAL HOT MONO MIX Short Version..​

Debut 10/5/1968 and peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart.

This is the original Short Version HOT MONO MIX as heard when this was a huge hit on AM Top 40 Radio on stations like WABC New York.

Cream - White Room (2023 Remaster / CSG Removed)​

"White Room" is a song by British rock band Cream, composed by bassist Jack Bruce with lyrics by poet Pete Brown. They recorded it for the studio half of the 1968 double album Wheels of Fire.
In September, a shorter US single edit (without the third verse) was released for AM radio stations, although album-oriented FM radio stations played the full album version.
The subsequent UK single release in January 1969 used the full-length album version of the track.

Remastered from the DCC and referencing an original UK pressing. Updated to remove the CSG processing.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Julie Driscoll Reviews the Singles of June 1968​

Hurdy Gurdy Man - Donovan (mono)​

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man [2021 Mix]​

Donovan's 1968 psychedelic rock anthem remixed with cleaned up vocals a vastly improved stereo image! Remixed and Remastered by 3rd Ear, using state-of-the-art source separation technology...

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash - Original Stereo Version - 2 Track 15 IPS Reel To Reel Tape​

The Rolling Stones - Jumpin' Jack Flash - mono 45​

Jumpin' Jack Flash (Isolated Tracks)​

Drums, Bass and Maracas 0:00-3:34
Guitars, Organ, Toy Drums and Piano 3:36-7:17
Vocals 7:20-9:55

The Story of Jumpin' Jack Flash​

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Think - Aretha Franklin (mono 45 )​

Pop Chart Peaks: #7 on Billboard, Cash Box & Record World - R&B Peak: 145 single issued on Atlantic 2518 - Think (Aretha Franklin-Ted White) by Aretha Franklin

Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin (a #1 record--mono)​

Joe South’s guitar licks introduce the Don Covay composition that kept Aretha atop the R&B chart for four weeks.

The song is based on a single minor chord and includes back-up vocalists The Sweet Inspirations, Carolyn & Erma Franklin, and Ellie Greenwich.

Pop Chart Peaks: Cash Box #1, Billboard & Record World #2 - R&B Chart Peak: #1

The original 45rpm single was issued on Atlantic 2464 - Chain Of Fools (Don Covay) by Aretha Franklin

(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You’ve Been Gone - Aretha Franklin (mono 45)​

Pop Chart Peaks: Record World 4, Billboard & Cash Box 5 - R&B Peak: 1

45 single issued on Atlantic 2486 - (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You’ve Been Gone (Aretha Franklin-Ted White) by Aretha Franklin

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Arthur "The God of Hellfire" Brown, reviews the Singles of July 1968​

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Redding’s posthumous hit was released in January 1968, just weeks after his December 10th death in a plane crash at age 26.

Pop Chart Peaks: Billboard 1, Cash Box 3, Record World 2 - R&B Chart Peak 1

Transferred from mono 45 single Volt 157 - (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay (Cropper-Redding) by Otis Redding, produced by Steve Cropper

Steve Cropper says: "Otis was one of those kind of guys who had 100 ideas. Anytime he came in to record he always had 10 or 15 different intros or titles, or whatever. He had been at San Francisco playing The Fillmore, and he was staying at a boathouse (in Sausalito, across the bay from San Francisco), which is where he got the idea of the ship coming in. That's about all he had: 'I watch the ships come in and I watch them roll away again.' I took that and finished the lyrics.

If you listen to the songs I wrote with Otis, most of the lyrics are about him. He didn't usually write about himself, but I did. 'Mr. Pitiful,' 'Sad Song Fa-Fa,' they were about Otis' life. 'Dock Of The Bay' was exactly that: 'I left my home in Georgia, headed for the Frisco Bay' was all about him going out to San Francisco to perform."

The end of this song contains perhaps the most famous whistling in music history. It wasn't planned, but when Steve Cropper and Stax engineer Ronnie Capone heard it, they knew it had to stay. Cropper explained on his website: "If you're an Otis Redding fan you'd know that he's probably the world's greatest at ad-libbing at the end of a song. Sometimes you could go another minute or two with Otis Redding's ad-libs - they were so spontaneous and felt so great. And this particular song I think baffled Otis a little bit because of the tempo and the mood, so when we got down to the end of it he really didn't have anything to ad-lib with, and he just started whistling. That just sparked Ronnie Capone and myself off, and almost immediately we said, 'Hey man, that's great, leave that in there.' It sure is a cool melody to go out with."

Beach sound effects (waves, seagulls, etc.), were dubbed in after the recording. Steve Cropper explained why: "I played acoustic guitar on the session and there are some outtakes on the record where you can hear Otis clowning around with seagulls - he was always kind of a funny jokester in the studio and he was going 'caw, caw, caw.' That was where I got the idea of getting the seagull sounds. I went over to the soundtrack library at Pepper Records - a jingle company - and I got one of their sound effect records. I got the seagulls and the waves and I made a little tape loop on a two-track machine. I ran that as I mixed the record - I would bring them up and down in the holds. And I overdubbed the guitar. We were cutting on 4-track in those days - we had moved up from mono and stereo and up to big ol' 4-tracks, so we had a lot of tracks to work with. So we had 6-tracks because I had the 2-track going on one side with seagulls and one side with waves. I got that record mixed and got it off to Atlantic and it came out."

He added: "The licks that I overdubbed on 'Dock Of The Bay,' I don't know if there was anything really special about them except that that was probably as high a position as I've ever played those licks when I did it. I was trying to get something that felt like seagulls - that real high thing. So, I was playing some high licks that were not necessarily imitating seagulls but the thought of seagulls being really high. I was trying to get something a little moody like that."

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock of The Bay (Take 1)​

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Hush - Deep Purple (mono 45)​

Pop Chart Peaks: #4 on Billboard, Cash Box & Record World

45 single issued on Tetragrammaton 1503 - Hush (Joe South) by Deep Purple, produced by Derek Lawrence..

"Hush" is a song written by American composer and musician Joe South, for recording artist Billy Joe Royal. It was covered by Deep Purple in 1968.The song was recorded by English hard rock band Deep Purple for their 1968 debut album Shades of Deep Purple, group member Ritchie Blackmore having heard the Billy Joe Royal original while living in Hamburg: (Ritchie Blackmore quote:) "It was a great song [which] would be a good song [for] our act, if we could come up with a different arrangement...We [recorded] the whole song in two takes." The track became the group's first hit single peaking at number 4 on the Hot 100 on 21–28 September 1968.

New remaster from the Time-Life Flower Power series.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - The First Edition (45)​

More than a decade after he made his first recording, Kenny Rogers achieved his first (albeit unbilled) major national hit with this interesting example of late ‘60s psychedelia, written by Mickey Newbury and arranged by Mike Post.

Pop Chart Peaks: Record World 3, Billboard & Cash Box 545 single issued on Reprise 655 - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) (Mickey Newbury) by The First Edition, arranged and produced by Mike Post...

Original video edited and AI remastered with HQ stereo sound."Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" is a psychedelic rock song written by Mickey Newbury and best known from a version by The First Edition, recorded in 1967 and released to popular success in 1968. Said to reflect the LSD experience, the song was intended to be a warning about the dangers of using the drug, and came to be associated with the counterculture of the 1960s.