Confessions of a Fed hater

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe the fact that I liked Pete Sampras colored my opinion. Maybe it was the cult like worship from a lot of his fan base. Maybe it was the gold coat and matching purse. Maybe it was the dismissive way he sometimes spoke at press conferences. Maybe I got tired of him hoisting all those trophies. Probably all of the above and more. I didn't like Roger. I'd slag him in posts, call him names, cheer for every opponent he played (except Raonic).

Over time I met some of his fans that I really liked, Murat, Darth, later Front and others. I found myself rooting against him less and less. I would still joke about it, even threaten to send my father (a Fed fan) to watch finals at Murat's home. Quietly, almost imperceptibly, I realized I was pleased when he would win some matches. I was even beginning to want him to win.

I spoke with my son about it. He said it was the 30-something effect. A player hits the later stages of his career and we wax nostalgic realizing they won't be around forever. It did soften my attitude toward Agassi. I think part of it was Roger bringing on Edberg as a coach; Stefan is one of my all time favorite players. But really - it's been Roger himself. He's still playing the game when many of his fans were wishing he'd retire. He's still excited about competing, excited about improving and making the adjustments he needs to remain at the top.

Then I saw him playing Berdych Sunday. I watched the little things he was doing and knew he and Edberg had been plotting, planning and preparing for Novak. I was pleased. And when he met my guy, he completely turned the tables on him. I found myself smiling as I watched him doing it.

I don't know that I will ever be a fan of the early Fed, but this guy? I appreciate him. I admire him. And I'm enjoying watching him play the game with the fire and zeal he has, and growing as a player - even at 34. He's changed the heart of this hater and he's won a fan.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I never really hated or disliked Federer until 2009 when he took that Wimbledon title away from Roddick. I was never a big Roddick fan either, but I really wanted him to win that title at least once. But Federer had to go and win it again. The greedy bastage! And also for the way he folds against Nadal, who is maybe the player I can't stand the most in the 35-years I have watched tennis. The way he cried at the Australian Open after losing to Nadal in the final. Geez. There's no crying in tennis!
Now, I do appreciate the way he has come back from Mono 2013 and all and the way he is challenging Djokovic since Nadal and Murray aren't up to it anymore. But I still do enjoy the Federer upset too. He was never my favorite, never will be but he was never my least favorite either. Well, maybe just for a while after that '09 Wimby final he was. But you have to appreciate the way he plays the game and the records he keeps piling up. Truly the GOAT.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Great post, nehmeth.

I've always appreciated Roger's play, but rarely rooted for him when he was winning everything, cause my natural inclination is to root for the underdog.

But I, too, am very impressed at how he has changed to a more aggressive game - I find him more fun to watch since he's coming to the net more. The way he continues to develop as a player - SABR and suchlike - brings a lot of interest and fun to the game.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Maybe the fact that I liked Pete Sampras colored my opinion. Maybe it was the cult like worship from a lot of his fan base. Maybe it was the gold coat and matching purse. Maybe it was the dismissive way he sometimes spoke at press conferences. Maybe I got tired of him hoisting all those trophies. Probably all of the above and more. I didn't like Roger. I'd slag him in posts, call him names, cheer for every opponent he played (except Raonic).

Over time I met some of his fans that I really liked, Murat, Darth, later Front and others. I found myself rooting against him less and less. I would still joke about it, even threaten to send my father (a Fed fan) to watch finals at Murat's home. Quietly, almost imperceptibly, I realized I was pleased when he would win some matches. I was even beginning to want him to win.

I spoke with my son about it. He said it was the 30-something effect. A player hits the later stages of his career and we wax nostalgic realizing they won't be around forever. It did soften my attitude toward Agassi. I think part of it was Roger bringing on Edberg as a coach; Stefan is one of my all time favorite players. But really - it's been Roger himself. He's still playing the game when many of his fans were wishing he'd retire. He's still excited about competing, excited about improving and making the adjustments he needs to remain at the top.

Then I saw him playing Berdych Sunday. I watched the little things he was doing and knew he and Edberg had been plotting, planning and preparing for Novak. I was pleased. And when he met my guy, he completely turned the tables on him. I found myself smiling as I watched him doing it.

I don't know that I will ever be a fan of the early Fed, but this guy? I appreciate him. I admire him. And I'm enjoying watching him play the game with the fire and zeal he has, and growing as a player - even at 34. He's changed the heart of this hater and he's won a fan.

Interesting you note cult like worship of Rogah.

Because Sampras elicited utter boredom, and indifference, with a few zealots at the end of the spectrum.

He is top ten, maybe top 5 even, without a doubt. Great, great player and competitor. A champion.

But I despised the baggy shorts. The wiping the sweat with the forefinger..(I begged, I got on my knees imploring him, while watching matches, to wear wrist bands) the stupid StringaLing thing he had in his pocket.

The one thing that separates him from Federer is that improving his game was never a priority. The mission was to "maintain". And he did. Stroke for stroke for stroke, the only place he comes up ahead the Swiss is serve. He loses out every where else..forehand, backhand, volleys, movement, fitness.