the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:
tented said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
1972Murat said:
Players are there to play, not referee. Challenge system is a bad one.

I agree with the first half for sure. Just because there's a challenge system, doesn't mean the linesperson (and umpire) should get a pass on this. It's their job to call the lines (and in the case of the umpire, overrule when necessary). However, the challenge system IS there so might as well use it, especially when the match was over. It's not like Roger had to stop midway through a rally or anything, and therefore risked losing the point.

And how many times have players used challenges after match point which they know won't go their way, but do it anyway? Imagine a montage of clips of those moments.

Tented. if I was a player and I swung and missed during the final point I would challenge.. Challenges don't roll over to the next match.. you have to treat them like personal\vacation work days.. unless you work for the federal or local government, you will just loose them.

That's my point, AP. Players who challenge after match point, even though they know it won't change the outcome, but do it anyway. You see that quite a bit, and most times both players know it won't change things.

agreed and very good point.. what did Fed say in his pressor

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Darth, my Brother.. The spin and the change of pace that these two bestow on each other is almost beyond belief.. these two are so wired to each other that it truly becomes a chess match mentality and their athleticism(the rackets included) is the pieces and the tennis court is the board. Their court vision is so keen that it takes a total misread of the spin and pace for them to mishit a ball. If you played this game like I think you have, you have to put yourself in Fed or Rafa shoes, watch the ball spinning across and over the net at that incredible speed and how would you address the ball. These guys are the Tennis Masters of the Universe.. Fed gave all he had. His movement was excellent and his anticipation was fantastic. Trust me , I had the same post if Rafa had lost

Giving your all is only part of it. It is about execution and mainly in the big moments. Rafa got a few more returns in play at 5-4 in the 2nd and Roger ran for the hills for all but the last few games to avoid a 6-1 deciding set. 8 of the last 11 games to Rafa on the fastest hard court on tour. Spin that how you want, I call it more weakness in the most overrated rivalry in sports history. And with all due respect I doubt you have that same post if Rafa lost.

Darth.. When Rafa looses.. I always show up afterwards.. I wouldn't loss slept if Fed won today.. Rafa gave it his best.. I said in the chat late in the 2nd set.. the only chance Rafa had was to attack Fed's bh and hopefully it breaks down... check the old posts

Fair enough AP, the match swung when Rafa finally started getting some returns in play. He stepped up, Roger backed down for 6-7 games and that was all she wrote. Roger looked good for 1.5 sets, nothing to get pumped up for IMO. The man has shocked me many times before and making the semi of USO would qualify as another one though that's not even a good result as we know. This match further hammered home that point for me instead of fueling thoughts of a miracle at Flushing. For Roger 2014 can't come soon enough...
this isn't 2011 when it was a done deal before the open started.. Nole recent vulnerability gives all the top other players a chance to claim the title.. Murray the champion, Djoker is the world's number 1, Rafa is playing the best so far this year and Fed is the all time great who still has his full arsenal of shots.. If the conditions stay hot and dry.. I think Fed and Rafa chances increases tremendously.. Hopefully the tennis gods will not give us a replay of the fiasco that occurs at SW19

Roger has to worry about Roger. I probably picked Roger to win 2011 USO coming in or maybe lose a 5 setter to Nole. Of the past 9 years that might be the only time I picked him to lose there. I know what he is capable of but with zero form or confidence to speak of and questionable fitness level he is no threat there. This year I doubt he survives the 4th round without a kind draw. That shows the difference.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:
tented said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
I agree with the first half for sure. Just because there's a challenge system, doesn't mean the linesperson (and umpire) should get a pass on this. It's their job to call the lines (and in the case of the umpire, overrule when necessary). However, the challenge system IS there so might as well use it, especially when the match was over. It's not like Roger had to stop midway through a rally or anything, and therefore risked losing the point.

And how many times have players used challenges after match point which they know won't go their way, but do it anyway? Imagine a montage of clips of those moments.

Tented. if I was a player and I swung and missed during the final point I would challenge.. Challenges don't roll over to the next match.. you have to treat them like personal\vacation work days.. unless you work for the federal or local government, you will just loose them.

That's my point, AP. Players who challenge after match point, even though they know it won't change the outcome, but do it anyway. You see that quite a bit, and most times both players know it won't change things.

I don't know yet, but I would be surprised if he did anything other than play it down.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
some folks are calling this match an instant classic general anti pusher.

it was indeed high drama for 3 sets.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think everybody enjoyed this battle tonight.

you people never gave roger even 1/2 a chance.

he showed up and gave as much as he could.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:

Senor' Death, drama left the building with the break of serve in the third. For many who have watched the fedal matches, the drama lifted after Rafa won the 2nd set. Just saying.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
People have low standards for a classic.

I give it up Darth.. dude I gave up my movie date night with myself trying to logic with you :snigger

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
relax general nehmeth. it was a good match.

there is no such thing as darkness. there is only failure to see.

forget about who wins the damn match. just enjoy the tennis.

these 2 will exit the sport eventually. enjoy them while you can.

their brand of tennis is the best in history. why is that not good enough for you?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pretty much. I don't think I've ever seen so much excitement over a 6-3 decisive set.

I long for the day when Roger plays great again and for more than 60 minutes at a time. I think he will be refreshed in 2014, too much pride to go out playing so bad.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:

You are correct Commander.. there were drama during the final 3 games.. if Fed had broken Rafa, we are having a different conversation with Darth, Nehmeth and the poster from the West coast

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:
relax general nehmeth. it was a good match.

there is no such thing as darkness. there is only failure to see.

forget about who wins the damn match. just enjoy the tennis.

these 2 will exit the sport eventually. enjoy them while you can.

their brand of tennis is the best in history. why is that not good enough for you?

CD, many of their matches have been strewn with errors - both players being nervous at various times and yes there have been large windows of incredible tennis. Give the Feddies a break. If Rafa had lost you'd probably be yelling at him for playing golf at a nearby country club.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
People have low standards for a classic.

I give it up Darth.. dude I gave up my movie date night with myself trying to logic with you :snigger

I wouldn't even call last week's Djokovic match a classic and it was obviously way more competitive than this. It is rare that I call any best of 3 set match a classic. Madrid 09 is about all that comes to mind.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Clay Death said:

You are correct Commander.. there were drama during the final 3 games.. if Fed had broken Rafa, we are having a different conversation with Darth, Nehmeth and the poster from the West coast

He didn't break, ergo he didn't make the last set a contest. 8 of the last 11 games to Rafa...This wasn't even the most competitive match of the day.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Pretty much. I don't think I've ever seen so much excitement over a 6-3 decisive set.

I long for the day when Roger plays great again and for more than 60 minutes at a time. I think he will be refreshed in 2014, too much pride to go out playing so bad.

The man Fed has won more, achieved more and earn more cash than anyone in the history of the game.. Even Jordan couldnt dunk over FatherTime... Damn

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Clay Death said:

He didn't break, ergo he didn't make the last set a contest. 8 of the last 11 games to Rafa...This wasn't even the most competitive match of the day.

"I'm happy with my progress along the way," Federer said. "Could have won tonight, should have won tonight, who knows? But at the end, I think Rafa's confidence and the way he's playing at the moment got him through. So for me, I think it was a good step in the right direction."

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

The man Fed has won more, achieved more and earn more cash than anyone in the history of the game.. Even Jordan could dunk over FatherTime... Damn

Roger is still playing AP, he is way past his prime but that doesn't mean he can't be great. MJ is a great example. Well past his prime at 35 and still the best player in his sport. That won't be the case for Roger and it is harder to do that in tennis but it doesn't mean Roger is playing up to capabilities. I doubt he sits around thinking "who cares that I just lost the 2nd round of Wimbledon, I have 7."

Players like Roger have been greedy all along. Eventually he will be back and focused with a point to prove. It won't be the USO but maybe later this year or early next year. I don't think he is done yet despite everything pointing towards it.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Clay Death said:

"I'm happy with my progress along the way," Federer said. "Could have won tonight, should have won tonight, who knows? But at the end, I think Rafa's confidence and the way he's playing at the moment got him through. So for me, I think it was a good step in the right direction."

Anything other than that and he would sound bitter. The day he truly thinks losing to Rafa on a fast court is a good result then he truly should play with the kids. I doubt he can tell the press his true thoughts on the match without getting some serious fines.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:
the AntiPusher said:

I don't know yet, but I would be surprised if he did anything other than play it down.

From ATP:

The 32-year-old winner of 21 ATP World Tour Masters 1000s and six Barclays ATP World Tour Finals would not be drawn into second guessing his decision to not challenge Nadal’s forehand on match point, which Hawkeye on television showed was out. “At this point it doesn't matter. I'm sitting here,” he said.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Clay Death said:

I enjoyed the brilliant shot making general I know a day will come when we wont have roger and nadal putting on display their magic and the magic of their craft for the world to see.

people are simply not able to realize that these 2 are the greatest ever in history. it is worth watching them do their thing without having to worry about who wins.

I was prepared for the loss for nadal if it happened. at least it saves the knee and gets him to flushing meadows sooner from my own vantage point. he can go there and get acclimated and also catch some rest.