• Nadal in three

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
This match could go either way really. Although Federer is struggling on his form and fitness, this court is still one of the fastest courts on the tour. In addition, if Federer doesn't win this match, he will be seeded sixth behind Berdych.

With all said and done, I pick Rafael Nadal in two tight sets. I would say the second would be a sloppy set.

I do want to see a Murray-Nadal matchup because we haven't have that matchup since 2011!

Rafa vs Murray.. if this were to occur this means that Rafa would attempt the Trifecta (Federer, Murray and Djoker).. This is going against the advice that has been posted on this board for such an extended effort for Nadal during a non grand slam hardcourt tournament

I want to see Rafa play Andy.. Its time for Andy to "pay some bills" and play Rafa finally at his best on hardcourts.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed will take a set (which will work as a tonic for him to reach SF in USO).

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
The Curious Case of Rafael Nadal's Absence and Incredible Comeback Continues

and in tonight's quarterfinal he faces defending champion and 5 time Cincinnati titlist, Roger Federer.

Even though Nadal has won twice as many matches against Federer as he has lost, most of those wins have been on clay, and normally, many would have favored Federer against Nadal on the speedier hard court surface of Cincinatti.

Just one year ago in Cincinnati, Roger Federer established a Masters 1000 record by being the first player to win a Masters 1000 tournament without being broken in any game. Along the way, the #1 player in the world, Federer, beat a very good Mardy Fish on that day, an excellent Stan Wawrinka the following day, and in the final, dismantled the #2 in the world, Novak Djokovic, with a bagel set and a tiebreak set to win his record 5th Cincinnati title.

In the meantime Rafael Nadal was in the early stages of his what would be a prolonged 7 month absence from the tour. Prior to Cincinnati last year, he had to withdraw from the 2012 Olympics at Wimbledon and the Toronto edition of the Rogers Cup.

As the months dragged on, many players and fans were wondering not only how long it would take for Nadal to return to action on the tennis court, but how long it would be before he would be competitive with the top players in the game.

During the 2013 Australian Open, former world #1 and 8 time major winner Andre Agassi said:
“I found whatever time you take away from the game you need that time to double to be fully where you were when you left, that's my experience.”

''If he comes back in the first half of the year, you won't see him at his best, historically speaking with my experience, until this tournament next year.'' --
Read more

A good example would be the 2009 US Open winner, and world #4 Juan Martin Del Potro, who went out of action after the Australian Open in 2010, not returning until almost October that year after injuring his wrist. But he only played two tournaments in what remained of the year. His ranking dropped down to a low of #485 at the 2011 Australian Open, and he finally returned to the top 10 a year later at the 2012 Australian Open, close to the time frame Andre Agassi indicated.

But incredibly, and some would say miraculously, Rafael Nadal returned to action in early February of 2013 in South America, where he had only fallen to #5 in the world during his absence, and since then has stormed his way through the tour with 8 titles and 2 finals in 11 tournaments, including his eighth Roland Garros, and 4 masters, 2 on hard courts and 2 on clay. His only real "blip" during this time was on the fresh grass of Wimbledon where he was upset in the first round by Steve Darcis. A little over a year after he left the tour, and about 6 months after his return, he has returned to #3 in the world. It is theoretically possible for him to ascend to #1 in the world if he wins in Cincinnati and the US Open.

American veteran Mardy Fish, who is relatively early in his comeback after his heart problems forced him to stop, had this to say after losing to Philipp Kohlschreiber in the first round of Cincinnati this year:

Fish:
“I feel all right, I just have an awful long way to go tennis wise,” said Fish. “It just kind of shows you how amazing Rafa (Nadal) has been coming back after seven months off. To do what he's done is just not normal." -- Read More

So we have a clearly above normal Nadal playing against a Federer who has said that this is a transition year for him, and who has won a only a single title this year on the grass in Halle and lost in his last 3 tournaments to players ranked 116, 114, and 55.

What will the result of tonight's match be?

A Roger Federer win in Cincinnati would normally not be considered surprising, but this year is anything but normal. Roger will have to conjure up last year's form to have a good chance of beating Rafa, or Rafa will have to suddenly fall apart. I don't see either happening, but on any given day in tennis, anything is possible. If this year's happenings are any indication, the match should be anything but normal, but one hopes it is entertaining.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great stuff, masterclass, thanks for that!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
rafanoy1992 said:
This match could go either way really. Although Federer is struggling on his form and fitness, this court is still one of the fastest courts on the tour. In addition, if Federer doesn't win this match, he will be seeded sixth behind Berdych.

With all said and done, I pick Rafael Nadal in two tight sets. I would say the second would be a sloppy set.

I do want to see a Murray-Nadal matchup because we haven't have that matchup since 2011!

Rafa vs Murray.. if this were to occur this means that Rafa would attempt the Trifecta (Federer, Murray and Djoker).. This is going against the advice that has been posted on this board for such an extended effort for Nadal during a non grand slam hardcourt tournament

I want to see Rafa play Andy.. Its time for Andy to "pay some bills" and play Rafa finally at his best on hardcourts.

We will see who "pays the bills." Last they met Murray was a good but not great player who had a weak forehand. Times have changed

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
why is this even a thread? i was actually expecting the tourney to put isner vs djoker a night match since isner is the home boy and djoker is world no.1. i dont think this will be interesting at all. fed will probably go for too much and rafa will just breakdown his backhand. its gonna be a disgrace. i also hate how they call this a blockbuster. cmon people you know as well as the rest of us this might be rafas easiest match yet. yea maybe a few years ago this would have been primetime blockbuster when fed was playing well. if rafa plays anywhere near his best fed has no chance the way hes playing. dont give me "blockbuster" bs

honey1269

Club Member
Reactions
I would love to see Federer take this and hush some of the nah sayers.
Geeze

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
honey1269 said:
Geeze

Oh Honey, I'm something of a Nadal fan, but I couldn't agree more! :clap

tented

Administrator
Reactions
masterclass said:
American veteran Mardy Fish, who is relatively early in his comeback after his heart problems forced him to stop, had this to say after losing to Philipp Kohlschreiber in the first round of Cincinnati this year:

Fish:
“I feel all right, I just have an awful long way to go tennis wise,” said Fish. “It just kind of shows you how amazing Rafa (Nadal) has been coming back after seven months off. To do what he's done is just not normal." -- Read More

Good post, masterclass.

In his post-match interview yesterday, Roger said the best player right now is Rafa. Quite a thing to say before having to face him the following day. Technically he didn't know that for certain when he said this, because Nadal/Dimitrov hadn't played, but he barely mentioned Dimitrov. He knew.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
2 hours till this starts yeah? Absolutely exhausted and might go for a snooze till it starts.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
2 hours till this starts yeah? Absolutely exhausted and might go for a snooze till it starts.

Glutton for punishment or sniffing an upset? If I were a Rodger fan, I'd be sleeping.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:

Glutton for punishment or sniffing an upset? If I were a Rodger fan, I'd be sleeping.

LOL, well mostly I just want to watch Roger play 'cos I haven't seen many of his matches lately, just snippets. It's hard to see past a Rafa win but anything is possible if Fed remembers how awesome he was here last year and has a nice cortisol cocktail before it starts :cool:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
masterclass said:

Fish:

Good post, masterclass.

In his post-match interview yesterday, Roger said the best player right now is Rafa. Quite a thing to say before having to face him the following day. Technically he didn't know that for certain when he said this, because Nadal/Dimitrov hadn't played, but he barely mentioned Dimitrov. He knew.

It is a good post. To Rafa's credit he could have come back a lot sooner, but picked his window and made the most of it. Team Nadal has been making very good choices this whole year.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Right. Bedtime for 2 hours 'cos if I stay up I'll end up going to sleep when it starts. As crap as it may well be I still want to watch it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
honey1269 said:
Geeze

Oh Honey, I'm something of a Nadal fan, but I couldn't agree more! :clap

I'm something of a Nadal fanYes indeed you are!:cool:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With Djokovic and Murray losing today, this is a huge opportunity for Federer and Nadal to gain some ground and momentum (although Nadal already has a lot of momentum).

For Federer, if he can beat Nadal tonight, he has a huge chance to win the title and gain some momentum for the US Open. Although Berdych and Del Potro has beaten Federer in the last couple of years, it is still better for Federer to face them rather than Djokovic and/or Murray.

As for Nadal, if he could win tonight, then he really has a humongous chance to not only have a huge lead in the year end number one ranking but to add Cincinnati to his Masters 1000 collection. In addition, if he wins the title, he will be the number two player and number two seed in the US Open! Finally, he will be only 2240 points behind Djokovic for the number one ranking with no points to defend until the Australian Open 2014.

So, there is a lot of huge opportunity for both of these players since Nole and Murray are out of the tournament.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
crystalfire said:
why is this even a thread? i was actually expecting the tourney to put isner vs djoker a night match since isner is the home boy and djoker is world no.1.

Actually yesterday itself (in the R16 round), he was the only American left. Do you
know what court he played in? Not the centre court, Not the grand stand court.
He played in Court No. 3.

I would not complain about today's scheduling, at least he got the centre court.
You cannot beat 28 slams in total and 5 time defending champion for the night match.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The chatroom is now open!

Click the green plus sign in the bottom left of your browser to open the window.