Cincinnati 2014: Western and Southern open

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kiu said:
1972Murat said:
Looks like Sock/Popsicle pair lost their first match as a team.

My scoreboard shows they won the super-tie-breaker 10-7

Doubles pair of Pospisil and Sock make the semifinals.

No you are right, I jumped the gun there. My bad.:s

Into the finals they go!
They meet the Bros.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
I suspect Federer won't duplicate what Agassi did at age 35= won THREE 5-setters at the US Open and took a 6-2 set off the World #1 in the Final (and lost a tie-breaker).

I know people like to discredit Agassi's durability by pointing out that he took hiatus during his career.....but Agassi was never as athletic as Federer, so its a huge achievement for Agassi to deliver so big at age 35 regardless. And despite missing many slams (Australian Open obviously, and some Wimbledons) Agassi never missed a US Open, and he was a prodigy and played a lot at a young age, so he still pushed his body quite hard.

Robredo's no spring chicken and wasn't long back from leg surgery and won 3 successive matches from 2 sets to 0 down at Roland Garros last year. It's only a big deal against top opponents and can't see it being easy for any of them let alone Federer to be honest. Robredo didn't exactly beat Federer, Djokovic and Nadal in those 5 setters as impressive as it still was. It was indeed impressive by Agassi but he was taking cortisone injections in his back and without them would likely have been in bits.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Cincinnati 2014 broken attendance record!

One last piece of news:

Attendance Records Set at Western & Southern Open
Single-Week Record 191,752 Fans Attend Tournament

CINCINNATI (August 17, 2014) - The Western & Southern Open set an attendance record by drawing 191,752 fans over 16 sessions to the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason.

In addition to the total week mark, records were also set for single session (14,336 for the Wednesday day session) and single day (25,686 for Wednesday's combined attendance).

"It is a great pleasure for us to host not only the best tennis players in the world, but some of the greatest fans in the sport," said tournament director Vince Cicero. "These fans come out early for practices, move around between all 16 of our courts, and immerse themselves in the experience of attending the Western & Southern Open. It is gratifying to see our efforts to make this a fan-friendly event rewarded with attendance numbers like this."

This year's total attendance surpasses the previous record of 187,183, which was set last year. The previous record for a single session was 13,704, which was set with the Wednesday day session in 2013. Wednesday in 2013 was also the previous record for single-day attendance with 25,155.