Cincinnati 2014: Western and Southern open

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I was surprised that Andy gave up on double break lead in 2nd set so easily. The commentators were saying that since he beat Nole in last year's Wimbledon final, he's failed to win a match against top 10 players. Did he reach a final anywhere in the same period of time? I can't remember.:puzzled

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
herios said:
Congrats to Roger;)
I wanted him to win, because I want Milos to play him here in Cincy.

Who are you going to cheer for I wonder? :lolz:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
I was surprised that Andy gave up on double break lead in 2nd set so easily. The commentators were saying that since he beat Nole in last year's Wimbledon final, he's failed to win a match against top 10 players. Did he reach a final anywhere in the same period of time? I can't remember.:puzzled

Pretty sure he hasn't reached a final. That's even a scarier stat than not beating any top 10 players in over a year because with all the 250's and 500's there are plenty of opportunities to get to a final without facing a top 10 player.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:

No, he did not reach a final either.

Interestingly, here is another stat. With today's win over Andy Murray, Roger Federer
becomes the first person to have won at least 10 matches against top 10 players in 10
different seasons.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
his career stopped at Wimbledon 2013.

I hope that's not true, or at least, enduring.

N

NADAL2005RG

Back in 2013, I remember thinking "if Nadal has an injury and has to skip a slam at least Murray can stop Djokovic". Now it looks like Nadal must do everything himself (except for at Australia, because Wawrinka is better than Djokovic now at Australia). Good thing that Wimbledon is played a week later next year so Nadal can be fresh enough to win a 3rd Wimbledon crown. Murray probably won't win that again unless he brings Lendl back.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

It came to a screeching halt. Everyone is wondering what it will take to get him going again.

4502642319_eb7a01acd2_z.jpg

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Roger and MIlos's semi is "scheduled" to be played at 9pm. I am really not happy with that. The other semis is at 3pm and they will probably schedule the final for early afternoon. Just like Toronto, the winner will have around 15 hours turnaround time. Not enough and not fair.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
In Masters 1000 events 1 semi is always during a day and the other one is at night. It's been like that for a long time. In 2012 in Toronto, the 2nd semi final was also interrupted by rain so Nole won that match well after 11 pm and had to come back the next day to play the final in the afternoon. There are numerous cases like that. Federer has been playing all of his matches at night, which probably helps to avoid the sunshine and heat during day, but it does affect a little bit if he makes the final. I am sure that with his conditioning, it won't be a huge problem. It is best of 3 match and players are used to it.

Does anybody know why Andy's girlfriend is not with him in North America? I didn't see her in Toronto and she wasn't shown on TV last night also so I assume she is not there.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

Overdramatic. Soderling's came to a stop, Andy is still playing.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Billie said:
In Masters 1000 events 1 semi is always during a day and the other one is at night. It's been like that for a long time. In 2012 in Toronto, the 2nd semi final was also interrupted by rain so Nole won that match well after 11 pm and had to come back the next day to play the final in the afternoon. There are numerous cases like that. Federer has been playing all of his matches at night, which probably helps to avoid the sunshine and heat during day, but it does affect a little bit if he makes the final. I am sure that with his conditioning, it won't be a huge problem. It is best of 3 match and players are used to it.

Does anybody know why Andy's girlfriend is not with him in North America? I didn't see her in Toronto and she wasn't shown on TV last night also so I assume she is not there.

I was at that match Billie, against Tipsy...It was a long day and a long night. Nole was visibly upset .
I know that this has been going on for a while but a 3 pm semi and a 9 pm semi (if the ladies match finish on time) is too far apart. Noles match was scheduled for 7 pm that year, which is somewhat acceptable but weather was the issue there. Now, it is a 9pm start at Cincy. Imagine having weather issues there? It is just too late to start.:nono

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Everyone has up and downs, including the great ones.
That's how it works! No way around it.
Andy is no doubt a great one but last night he was facing a greater one.

As for today's matches, here are my picks.
Raonic will beat Federer in 2
Ferrer will beat Benneteau in 2

We will have new finalists and consequently new winner.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Good job, Roger. Just checking email and scores at the hotel I´m staying at and delighted Roger won and the icing on the cake is evening the h2h with Murray. A losing h2h there even if he won the majority of big ones was always something that annoyed me.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I remember your comments at the time, Murat, I was there too. I was upset that I had to wait for the rain to stop and kept thinking "my gosh when will this finish and I still have to drive an hour and a half to get home" so I can imagine how players felt.

I agree that 7 pm is a bit more acceptable than 9pm and that is probably the start time when there are no WTA events combined with ATP. I think the ladies final is going to be before men's so it is not fair to Masha and Ana to wait and play after Federer when one of them will have to come back even earlier the next day. It's just one of those things that players have to live with.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Billie said:
herios said:
Congrats to Roger;)
I wanted him to win, because I want Milos to play him here in Cincy.

Who are you going to cheer for I wonder? :lolz:

3 of the four semifinalists are 32 years or older.
Milos is the young rooster in this bunch and he has the best serve.
May the best serve win, this is ATP after all.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I don't have a horse in this race, Kiu, but I will be pulling for the Canadian of course.

A funny story about Milos, my first neighbour moved to Toronto recently (but he still visits his parents here) and I saw him a week ago. He works at the Wayne Gretzky bar and Milos comes there often (when he is in Toronto). Since my friend is the only one speaking Serbian there, Milos befriended him and they often talk. My friend says he is a good guy, but when my friend says something complimentary about Nole, Milos doesn't like it :lolz: I guess jealousy is a universal thing even among friends.;)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

It came to a screeching halt. Everyone is wondering what it will take to get him going again.

4502642319_eb7a01acd2_z.jpg

that old crank is defo turning into a visual metaphor phor murrays career.