China Open Beijing 2014

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bounce It !! said:
fashionista said:
Bounce It !! said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I am wondering if Petra will play Moscow. I am thinking not. If she doesn't, then I don't think she can overtake Serena for number 1, and that only leaves Maria. I really hope the knee is nothing and Serena can try and defend YEC and not lose all 1500 points.

Last night I was looking at the WTA Race Ranking where Maria is ranked #2. As I looked at it, Maria could lose to Petra and still be ahead of Petra in the WTA Race, she has that much of a lead on Petra.
Pova 5680 650 for Final, 6330
Petra 4998 1000 for W, 5998

However,

If Maria wins, she has a shot at passing Serena for #1 prior to YEC should she decide to play Moscow.
Maria 5680 + w/Win at Beijing 6680
Serena 6932 + 215 QF pts, 7147

Moscow being a WTA 470 point tourney should Maria win it, would give her 7150, (6680 + 470).

The talk of Petra passing Serena is only wishful thinking, and likely based on the regular 52 week ranking points, except that Petra will have 450 points deducted for last years SF, and Maria 0 because she didn't play. I believe only Maria has a chance to pass Serena prior to YEC.

One think is for sure, Petra v. Maria will be a hard hitting match, louder than most want to hear, but the tennis should great.

As to who can or can not catch Serena won't really matter if her knee is playable at YEC. If not, then yea, we're definitely gonna have a new #1, either before or after YEC.

Lastly, let's hope all ladies are healthy and ready to go for the YEC. Everyone benefits when the best are healthy and playing well.

Just to be clear I responded to a poster in regards to Petra taking over the No 1 position this year,I was responding to a poster,it was a hypothetical and variable post.You can go and read it if you wish on page 10 of this post.I originally said in a post that Maria is in a good position,as she isnt defending points.I dont think Petra will Moscow either.It still remains to be seen if Maria does take a w/card into Moscow,I wanted to wait till the final in Bejing is over,before I did the maths,also I would wait to see if Maria does take a w/card into Moscow.Nothing yet is set in stone.

Not sure what you are referring to as I responded to Sundaymorningguy's post, not yours, as to his wondering if Maria has a shot of passing Serena. This is the purpose of my response to him, as I had the same thought. I did the calculation and yes, she has a shot, and Petra does not. So no, I do not wish to see page 10, nor do I understand why you would refer to me, or Sundaymorningguy, as a butt hurt on the tennis .com site, simply because I took the time to do the calculations.

Lets be clear for starters I wasnt referring to you or Sunday,who by the way has been a long time poster at this site,who I have the upmost respect for.I dont know what your problem is by the way.
I just responded to you because I said in my post to you that I had original thoughts that Maria might have a chance at the no 1 position.I will also make this clear to you from now on I wont Ever respond to you on this site making unfounded comments about me period.End of story with me.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Stats for the 1st set won by Maria Sharapova 6-4

Sharapova 5/9 Kvitova 8/17

faradubii

Futures Player
Reactions
Petra needs to raise her game and cut down on the UFE.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
faradubii said:
Petra needs to raise her game and cut down on the UFE.

She's done just that. Up a double break in the 2nd frame 4-1

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Petra levels the match 6-2. Onto the decider where Maria will serve first.

faradubii

Futures Player
Reactions
fashionista said:
Both players took bathroom breaks

And fast ones, which is a bit of a surprise, at least for me. Good girls!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Maria looks tight as a drum.

EDIT: Petra breaks back. 3-2

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
if Petra was playing Venus she would be running down every ball...and folds so easily against pova.