China Open Beijing 2014

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
Seriously Petra down 1-5 to the slicer Vinci?
the slicer has some serious Ginsu skills, not to be underestimated. ;)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
kskate2 said:
^ Yes. TTC just announced that Serena has withdrawn citing the knee injury. Terrible news.
she never looked comfortable in China and probably never trained for the two events...she can go home rest and prepare for the season end event...:cry

You think she'll go home for 2 weeks and then fly back?

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
That's 5 games in a row for Petra.
This time Roberta serves to stay in the set, how things can turn.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Order of play Friday, October 03, 2014 WTA only

NATIONAL TENNIS STADIUM
14:30 - Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) V [4] Maria Sharapova (RUS) 06 46
16:30 - [1] Serena Williams (USA) V Samantha Stosur (AUS) W/O
18:30 - Kristina Mladenovic / Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (FRA / RUS) V [2] Cara Black / Sania Mirza (ZIM / IND) 75 16 6-10

LOTUS COURT
12:30 - [3] Petra Kvitova (CZE) V Roberta Vinci (ITA) 76 42:clap
14:30 - [6] Alla Kudryavtseva / Anastasia Rodionova (RUS / AUS) V [5] Andrea Hlavackova / Shuai Peng (CZE / CHN) 16 46

MOON COURT
12:30 - [1] Sara Errani / Roberta Vinci (ITA / ITA) V [6] Alla Kudryavtseva / Anastasia Rodionova (RUS / AUS) 67 62 8-10

Results from Thursday on page 11

Please be ready for Singapore Serena we need you there.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One of the best comebacks of the year 1-5 down and ending with 7-2 in the tiebreak - well done Petra you've proved you're back - go finish the job:cool: I would like to see that first set again Pavlik so find a copy for me when the match is finished - thanks

By_8e3tCIAAavWz.jpg

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
So, the top of the draw is left with Sam vs. Petra
Sam's kick serve always ends up in Petra's strike zone, H2H 6-1 in favor of Petra.

Sundaymorningguy said:
Sveta does like this tournament. She has done well here in the past, so maybe she will be inspired.
I looked it up, aside from Serena who left injured, there is a two time champion who is still playing, that would be Kuznetsova. She is up next. Grunting and screaming isn't going to do it for Masha, she better bring her A game.

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
fashionista said:
kskate2 said:
fashionista said:
Seriously Petra down 1-5 to the slicer Vinci?
the slicer has some serious Ginsu skills, not to be underestimated. ;)

They also share a h2h 2 all........;)

Both Petra's loses were on clay. That's where Petra is the weakest and Vinci the strongest.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I am well aware of the fact I have followed Petra when she first came on the tour.I also realize where Petra's best surfaces are,there not clay.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Petra wins the title in Beijing she will over take Simona for the No 2 ranking,a return to the career-high she first set in 2011.

If Maria Sharapova wins the title in Beijing she would also move to No 2 ranking.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well hopefully Serena returns in good form to the YEC because I want her to end the year at number 1 not the other two women potentially. It would be horrible for Singapore if both she and Simona could not be there because of injuries. The Asian leg of the tour has not faired well this season on the WTA, ouch!

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Has Kvitova finally broken the mental spell? Is she finally ready to come into her renaissance? Too soon to tell but I really truly hope.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think you've seen a serve like this before - CRAZY Svitolina:clap

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pSNyawA0KE[/video]

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
Has Kvitova finally broken the mental spell? Is she finally ready to come into her renaissance? Too soon to tell but I really truly hope.

One factor in the match against the slicer Vinci,when Petra was down 1-5 in the first set,Petra was spraying her shots all over the court ufe etc,I liked the way she came back and won the 1st set,I have seen over the years with Petra when she gets behind in a set,she keeps slugging away,this time she adjusted and turned her game around.That was a pleasing sign to me.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
sk310 said:

One factor in the match against the slicer Vinci,when Petra was down 1-5 in the first set,Petra was spraying her shots all over the court ufe etc,I liked the way she came back and won the 1st set,I have seen over the years with Petra when she gets behind in a set,she keeps slugging away,this time she adjusted and turned her game around.That was a pleasing sign to me.

Yep that's a champion's mindset. That's something we see kind of uniquely in Serena. I can't tell you how many times I've seen her come back in a set that seemed gone. I think a champion has to see every set as winnable. On the contrary I think Maria often gives up a set if she has a slow start and gets really far behind. She almost looks at the next set as a reset. I think that's dangerous. I think for a player like Petra who relies so much on her power if she goes out there on a given day and the shots aren't landing she has to find a way to eek it out. That for me is what will say if she has turned a corner. I think that is why we've so many puzzling losses by her in the past two years. She's a gifted player but she must have a plan B.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
fashionista said:
sk310 said:

Yep that's a champion's mindset. That's something we see kind of uniquely in Serena. I can't tell you how many times I've seen her come back in a set that seemed gone. I think a champion has to see every set as winnable. On the contrary I think Maria often gives up a set if she has a slow start and gets really far behind. She almost looks at the next set as a reset. I think that's dangerous. I think for a player like Petra who relies so much on her power if she goes out there on a given day and the shots aren't landing she has to find a way to eek it out. That for me is what will say if she has turned a corner. I think that is why we've so many puzzling losses by her in the past two years. She's a gifted player but she must have a plan B.

Serena is one of a kind in turning matches around I agree with your thoughts.Maria with her current game,can count her blessings,she wins 3 set matches,it can be dangerous and it is a recurring pattern of late for Maria.

Petra to me has never had a 'middle game plan eg, B plan to go to,when her A game isnt working,I have been so frustrated over the years with Petra unable to adjust her game,to me that is a very important element.Another factor with Petra is,being such a hard flat hitter of the ball,she leaves little margin for error,on her shots,another reason why we often see a high ufe in Petra's matches.