Chess

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nepo :facepalm:

Shows it can happen to the best of them but that type of disaster can have a carryover.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was an absolute shocker of an error. It would be insulting to a schoolboy to call it a schoolboy error. Just wow!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
They added a couple more puzzle rush controls, one in 3 minutes instead of 5 and one with unlimited time where you go until you get 3 strikes. I still am going to stick with the 5 minute addiction, just tried two 3 minute ones and one unlimited, the latter is definitely blah.

The Sinquefield tournament is incredibly tight. Magnus with all draws so far is pretty surprising with how deadly he's been in 2019.

Reactions: brokenshoelace

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
looks like an absolute beast of a game from Magnus today. Surely he closes it out?

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
looks like an absolute beast of a game from Magnus today. Surely he closes it out?

This is the only real active game he played this tournament, felt like So just hung himself yesterday and the rest were fairly uneventful. And despite that Magnus will probably finish tied for 1st. Can't see MVL holding this but he's done well to complicate matters. Will have to play over again later but h5 and f4 seemed dubious on first glance.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the only real active game he played this tournament, felt like So just hung himself yesterday and the rest were fairly uneventful. And despite that Magnus will probably finish tied for 1st. Can't see MVL holding this but he's done well to complicate matters. Will have to play over again later but h5 and f4 seemed dubious on first glance.
I thought his game against Ding was really interesting. He threw the kitchen sink at him but superb defence from Ding.

Did you watch GK disagreeing with Karpov about Magnus yesterday? That was interesting

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought his game against Ding was really interesting. He threw the kitchen sink at him but superb defence from Ding.

Did you watch GK disagreeing with Karpov about Magnus yesterday? That was interesting

You're right, forgot about that Ding game which was very entertaining.

I just read up on the GK disagreements. I love Karpov's arrogance lol. I love both those guys And it's kind of weird to see Kasparov not have similar bravado. Obviously Kasparov is right on all accounts.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Ding won the TB's. Checked the live ratings and he is just 1 point behind Caruana for #2. Carlsen with disasters in both rapid and blitz dropped out of #1 rank in each which is really surprising.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kasparov taking on Caruana in a Fischer Random match should be good!

https://www.uschesschamps.com/2019-champions-showdown-chess-9LX/overview

I still hope one day Kasparov comes out of retirement for a couple classical tournaments. I doubt it will happen as he'd have already done it if he was going to.

Obviously, I love him and he's the best ever, but unfortunately, he's shown his rust every time that he's played. Ironically, I think his first tournament when he came back (I believe in 2016) where he played blitz vs. So, Nakamura and Caruana is when he best. He was getting terrific tactical positions but just made awful elementary blunders (old man and all). In the subsequent tournaments he just looked way too shaky.

I think he'd probably get tired in classical and I'm not sure he can keep up with these guys in theoretical lines.

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Obviously, I love him and he's the best ever, but unfortunately, he's shown his rust every time that he's played. Ironically, I think his first tournament when he came back (I believe in 2016) where he played blitz vs. So, Nakamura and Caruana is when he looked at his best. He was getting terrific tactical positions but just made awful elementary blunders (old man and all). In the subsequent tournaments he just looked way too shaky.

I think he'd probably get tired in classical and I'm not sure he can keep up with these guys in theoretical lines.

I have no expectations that he'd do great but it'd still be interesting to see and from his perspective there is nothing to lose as he is 56 now.

The Fischer Random match with Topalov last year was kind of sloppy and the rapid tournament he played was really bad. He's done pretty well in blitz.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah we will see. If it happens I will do some shameless advertising on here.

I will have to learn to tone it down after losses to some degree. My main handle on there Clown1985 is permanently banned from chat so I made a new one, ChessNThings. I get to switch names once so I do have to come up with something more creative.

I know ChessBrahs language can be colorful so hopefully I don't go overboard. My main problem is the pussies that play one game and if they win they run. It wasn't always like that but chess.com is swimming with them. I am getting to the point where I may abort all games with Russians but then they are usually 50+% of who I get matched with.

In regards to Twitch, probably a few weeks out yet. Changed my name to ChessMatrix85 in case you chaps ever see me on there. Not too catchy but not terrible I suppose. Time to take the leave I was always afraid would be inevitable.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In regards to Twitch, probably a few weeks out yet. Changed my name to ChessMatrix85 in case you chaps ever see me on there. Not too catchy but not terrible I suppose. Time to take the leave I was always afraid would be inevitable.

So wait, you'll be streaming? And if so starting when/what time?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone been watching Wijk? I'm so impressed with Firouja. He's going to be something special. I know we raved about Wei Yi, but this kid is better. Wei Yi seems to need the opposition to play a dynamic game against him. Firouja seems better. Obviously he still has a lot to learn, as shown by how both Fabi and Magnus crushed him. But I get the sense he'll get there fairly soon. If anything this reminds me of Magnus's early record against the likes of Vishy and Vlad

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Candidates about to start. Seems to have special dispensation from the Russian authorities seeing as all other sporting events are postponed. I'm glad! In the era of self isolation, what could be better than watching top level chess online?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DarthFed Other Sports 262
Federberg Other Sports 46
DarthFed Other Sports 150