Chess World Championship: Carlsen-Caruana

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Game 1 of the 12 game match has started. I know @Federberg and @brokenshoelace will be following quite a bit but maybe a few others here have some interest.

Carlsen has been the dominant #1 for quite some time and has now held the title for 5 years. Caruana, however, has been playing the best chess of anyone all year and has almost overtaken Carlsen as #1. It may sound counterintuitive but the biggest factor to me is actually the tiebreaks and how that can affect how they play the classical games. Caruana is not strong in rapid or blitz while Magnus is by far the best at both. It is match over if it gets to the tiebreak and that's not an exaggeration. It'd be like 90-10 at least for Magnus. Due to this I think it is way more important for Caruana to get off to a good start. He needs to be the first one to win a game. If Carlsen is first to win a game I think it is almost a done deal as he will play for a draw and would also be happy if it ends in a 6-6 tie. Overall I think it is 70-30 for Magnus due to all that. Definitely the most intriguing chess match in quite awhile.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlsen clearly better after 21 moves as black and Caruana low on time. He will be hoping for a draw here

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlsen with a pawn sacrifice. I wonder if white had the crazy looking 23.Nd7 instead of Nh5. Caruana in serious time trouble probably never considered it seriously but it may have been ok. Pretty exciting first game already!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You would think Magnus wins this one but I recall a few games this year where he failed to convert against Fabi

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Magnus missed the winning idea of infiltrating the queenside with Qe5 a bunch moved back. That seemed like a winning idea. He still has the better position with some pressure after Bd4 but time control has been met and things look less grave for Fabiano.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Qf7 would look drawish but Ka6 and white would be in trouble I think

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently white is going for that line though. Ka6, Qxg7, Rxg7, Re2, Rg3 and Ng4 I guess

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Magnus's mentality changed a couple of years ago. There was a time he was a stone cold killer, but now he seems to focus on minimising his risk. The bizarre thing is that if he assessed how he performs now he'll realise he actually hasn't reduced his number of losses. All he's done is reduced his number of wins. This game is a classic example. Somewhere along the way his priority was creating a situation where only two outcomes were possible instead he's virtually spurned any winning chances that have arisen. It's sad to see. But I hope he reflects back on how silly he looks in retrospect for being so critical of Vishy when he was essentially doing the same

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I read a couple previews of the match and stumbled along an interview Magnus's sister Ellen gave. Pretty startling insight on Carlsen. If she's right it sounds like Magnus may be burnt out.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I read a couple previews of the match and stumbled along an interview Magnus's sister Ellen gave. Pretty startling insight on Carlsen. If she's right it sounds like Magnus may be burnt out.
That actually wouldn't surprise me at all. Can you post the link? Cheers

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Dead draw here but Magnus will make him suffer!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll have to go over today's game later on, but I did get a chance to have a proper look at yesterday's game. In a funny way I feel like I was a bit harsh on Magnus. I'm not sure he blundered the win. He certainly should have won, but I think it's probably fairer to credit Fabi for hanging in there under extreme time pressure.

It's interesting to see that so far both guys have handled the black side very comfortably

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll have to go over today's game later on, but I did get a chance to have a proper look at yesterday's game. In a funny way I feel like I was a bit harsh on Magnus. I'm not sure he blundered the win. He certainly should have won, but I think it's probably fairer to credit Fabi for hanging in there under extreme time pressure.

It's interesting to see that so far both guys have handled the black side very comfortably

I think it was just a case where he missed the plot. He had 35. Qe5 instead of Qg1. White's queenside was too open and even getting the queen on c3 and marching Black's queenside pawns could've opened up the white king.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it was just a case where he missed the plot. He had 35. Qe5 instead of Qg1. White's queenside was too open and even getting the queen on c3 and marching Black's queenside pawns could've opened up the white king.
yes that's true. Certainly the old hungry Magnus would have converted that. Sometimes I think we judge him by his young Sauron-like self. That dude was probably the greatest converter of small advantages the game has ever seen

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Played over game 1 with a comp and it did in fact like 23. Nd7 for white. Crazy looking move I noticed but Caruana was in bad time trouble already. I think that move was needed to prevent the trouble white found himself in. Comp also preferred 35. Qg7 instead of Qe5, still eyeing up the queenside but keeping the Queen on the g file with the rook, makes sense.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Played over game 1 with a comp and it did in fact like 23. Nd7 for white. Crazy looking move I noticed but Caruana was in bad time trouble already. I think that move was needed to prevent the trouble white found himself in. Comp also preferred 35. Qg7 instead of Qe5, still eyeing up the queenside but keeping the Queen on the g file with the rook, makes sense.
yup. Definitely not as clear cut as initially thought. Bloody engine evaluations can be deceptive sometimes!

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pretty dry position through 15 moves. Magnus obviously would've liked to win game 1 but he can't be upset with how things have gone so far assuming this ends up a draw. 3 games done and 2 of Caruana's whites. He would be happy as a clam if this ends as a 6-6 tie.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes agreed. This is starting to look like a Magnus type of dry game now though. Fabi will have to be extremely careful here

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think this one has any grinding potential on either side. They'll be shaking hands in a few moves after that idiotic "30 moves before a draw can be agreed upon" rule.