Chess World Championship: Carlsen-Caruana

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Darth - Do the grandmasters practice play against computers/AI a lot?

Whenever they do some GM vs. Super Computer exhibition, the Computer is handicapped to make the match "even." Komodo (then the best computer in the world) beat Nakamura in an exhibition a couple of years ago despite starting a rook down.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Whenever they do some GM vs. Super Computer exhibition, the Computer is handicapped to make the match "even." Komodo (then the best computer in the world) beat Nakamura in an exhibition a couple of years ago despite starting a rook down.

I think I mentioned that match in a different thread but it was actually a 4 game match with various starting disadvantages.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chess.com/amp/news/komodo-beats-nakamura-in-final-battle-1331

There was no rook edge though, that'd be huge and I'd fully expect Naka and much lesser players to beat a top program with that advantage.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice win for Carlsen. h5 was awful but Shakh defended well before that. Shows even the best players can misjudge a position regarding whether to play for a win or draw. Shakh must have thought that pawn storm would bring it home whereas Kd4 seemed straightforward. Maybe too straightforward...