Caroline's new coach revealed

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
We will see what happens. She had a nice fall for her, but still isn't beating the people she needs to beat for the big titles. However, if Jelena Jankovic can come out of nowhere and get back into the top 8 and find herself in the finals and semis of big tournaments, there is no reason why Caroline can't.

Sorry, but, Jelena has at least a power backhand, and looks to get aggressive when the opportunity presents itself, Caroline doesn't for some reason.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
This brings me to link a couple of pages of my own!

post #62
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=560&pid=16520#pid16520

post #12 and #14
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=821&pid=27467#pid27467

One does not have to out of this forum to read all the juicy details.
You all didn't believe me?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
We will see what happens. She had a nice fall for her, but still isn't beating the people she needs to beat for the big titles. However, if Jelena Jankovic can come out of nowhere and get back into the top 8 and find herself in the finals and semis of big tournaments, there is no reason why Caroline can't.

Sorry, but, Jelena has at least a power backhand, and looks to get aggressive when the opportunity presents itself, Caroline doesn't for some reason.

Well who knows what a coaching change might bring. My point is she had the weapons to get to number 1 and a slam final just like Jankovic. They are very similar players.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy is about to win a slam! All it takes is one more post!!

I think Caro was a better defensive player when#1 compared to Jelena when #1

If I was the new coach, all I would concentrate is to have Caro's serve become a weapon.
That would get her over the hump.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I am glad that Caroline and Hogstedt will be working together; hopefully for many year to come. Caroline has many weapons in her game and I am sure that Hogstedt will hone those weapons and maximize her potential. That said, she has to be willing (her camp also) to listen to Hogstedt's advice. She is still young and has time to elevate her game and become a true number one with slam titles. My only concern is if her serve can be elevated to that elite level. Hogstedt was able to help Maria only so much in that category of her game. Hopefully he can do better with Caroline.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
This brings me to link a couple of pages of my own!

post #62
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=560&pid=16520#pid16520

post #12 and #14
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=821&pid=27467#pid27467

One does not have to out of this forum to read all the juicy details.
You all didn't believe me?
The crystal ball was working overtime!! :clap

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I hope she gives him a really good chunk of time. I think her problem in the past is that she ends coaching agreements way too quickly. Nobody is going to turn her game around within even six months. Her game and any kind of mastery she had over anyone in the top 20 has now disappeared. People know her tactics and her speed and can easily get around it.

For her to turn her career around she really needs to develop different parts of her game in a new way. This would take even Hogstedt a while. Lets remember even Maria, already a 3 time grand slam champion, took a few years to get back into peak form after her shoulder injury.

Time time time is the only thing this arrangement needs.

Here's hoping. I've always liked Woz and wish her well.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Well who knows what a coaching change might bring. My point is she had the weapons to get to number 1 and a slam final just like Jankovic. They are very similar players.

I understand what you're conveying. The thing is, great defensive players with no good offensive don't win slams, in fact, they seem to make one slam final the entire careers and it's a wrap.

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario was a great defensive player whom could and would finish a point at the net, and this why she was relevant for many years, and didn't have the dips and peaks that both Jelena and Caroline have had.

Martina Hingis is another defensive player whom though lack power, found a smarter way to take the offensive, and not depend just on her defense skills.

The problem for Caroline is, the lot of the players younger, and players of her generation, ex Halep, are coming into their own, and in due time games will mature, and these players can/will be able to hit through Caroline, and they don't have a fear of Caroline, this is a component that Serena, Vika and Maria have and is one of the reason for their great success, player fear them.

Now, maybe this new coach can bring a change in Caroline's game, but, she's shown reluctance in the past, and with her father in the picture, don't see a real change happening.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I am assuming that Woz's goal is to win a major. She should have no other goal, not being number one, not winning any tournament except one of the four GS. Transforming her into a player capable of doing that will take time. Tennis has become a power game. Anyone who does not have power had better have a ton of variety, eg, Aga, Sara, executed flawlessly AND hope the power player is off for part of the match. Woz actually has neither power or variety. She has mental toughness, stamina, consistency, great BH. She will need more than these to win a GS. Improving the FH should be at the top of the list, then learning when to be offensive, adding slice, net game. It could take several years before she is ready, if ever. Players that build their game around defense will not find it easy to transition into an offensive player. But that is what is required because hoping that all seven opponents play badly is not realistic.

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kiu said:
Sundaymorningguy is about to win a slam! All it takes is one more post!!

I think Caro was a better defensive player when#1 compared to Jelena when #1

If I was the new coach, all I would concentrate is to have Caro's serve become a weapon.
That would get her over the hump.

This isn't easy to do though. I can't remember a player who just all of a sudden developed a serve that become a weapon.

Anyway I think the problem Wozniacki has is the style of tennis she has been going down the past year, she can't do it when she comes up against a top opponent. Even when lesser players have played a hot match against her, she's been unable to dictate play. It's one thing going out and dictating vs players who give you time on the ball, but a lot of the top players won't give you this and are relentless.

Calvy said:
I understand what you're conveying. The thing is, great defensive players with no good offensive don't win slams, in fact, they seem to make one slam final the entire careers and it's a wrap.

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario was a great defensive player whom could and would finish a point at the net, and this why she was relevant for many years, and didn't have the dips and peaks that both Jelena and Caroline have had.

Martina Hingis is another defensive player whom though lack power, found a smarter way to take the offensive, and not depend just on her defense skills.

The problem for Caroline is, the lot of the players younger, and players of her generation, ex Halep, are coming into their own, and in due time games will mature, and these players can/will be able to hit through Caroline, and they don't have a fear of Caroline, this is a component that Serena, Vika and Maria have and is one of the reason for their great success, player fear them.

Now, maybe this new coach can bring a change in Caroline's game, but, she's shown reluctance in the past, and with her father in the picture, don't see a real change happening.

The other problem is the way the game has evolved even since the days of Hingis. Rackets, strings all favour power hitting. The courts, and the way they have slowed down also don't benefit these players. Wozniacki in general has played her better tennis in recent times on quicker surfaces like Tokyo. If you lack power, you generally want some help from the court surface.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Her serve just needs better placement to become a weapon.

That does not take a whole lot. Couple of years should do.

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
Caro announced on tweeter that she is already committed to the Brisbane and Sydney events.
Looks like she means business and she is going to "play hard" to achieve a higher level.
These two premier events before the Aussie GS will be hard work but she is still willing to do it anyway. The girl is serious.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And seems like Hoegstedt like golf too ;) he's there - training his new protege - her though in a relaxed moment - she looks stunning by the way:

201311170504182989351-p5.jpg

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
hoergren said:
And seems like Hoegstedt like golf too ;) he's there - training his new protege - her though in a relaxed moment - she looks stunning by the way:

201311170504182989351-p5.jpg
Hogstedt looks relaxed as well. I don't think I have ever seen him (kinda) smile in photos, lol.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Pova claimed that Hogstedt and she terminated his contract because he could no longer travel. He might have to travel more because Woz flies to Rory's tournaments. I guess we will never know why he stopped coaching Pova.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another factor I would like to see in Caroline's game is her back hand to become more of a major weapon.Caroline has a good cross court bhand and to a lessor degree back hand down the line.
Caroline also needs improvement on her fhand wing.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A little news from today. An interview with Hoegsted to TV2 DK:

Wozniacki's coach : Grand Slam victory realistic in 2015
Julie Teglgård , jute@tv2.dk
24 November 2013 , 09:15

Caroline Wozniacki's new coach , Thomas Högstedt , has high hopes for its cooperation with the Danish tennis player.

He hopes to help meet Caroline Wozniacki's desire to win a Grand Slam title. But he stresses that the victories do not come by itself alone because Wozniacki has changed coach . It takes hard work .

- Maybe it's realistic to believe in it in 2015, but I do hope that she is around the middle of next year may prove that she can win. But I do not believe that it happens during the first months of 2014 , because it takes time to develop, says Thomas Högstedt to tv2.dk.

This means intensive and rigorous training fro Wozniacki with Swedish coach who will have more pace in Wozniacki's game when she is on the tennis court .

- I can not win a Grand Slam for her, but my job is to give her the conditions for doing so. It's the same , I have worked with in Sharapova the last three years , says Högstedt .

And it is no secret that Caroline Wozniacki even dream of winning a Grand Slam. But she tries to stick to themselves and not be influenced by what everyone around her think .

- As there have been many experts around , and I think I would go crazy if I listened to what everyone said . I just want to up and play super tennis again and feel like I can win tournaments. Grand Slams are the only thing I'm missing on my resume , so it's clear that I 'll try to go for it, says Caroline Wozniacki .

Wozniacki already know the Swedish coach's methods , and she expects it will be hard training with Högstedt because he knows how he pushes her. And I mean tennis player himself that she needs .

- His training is very intensive . We should always be on . There are not five minutes where you are allowed to relax , she says.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Comment : New coach has given Wozniacki new energy
Camilla Nørgaard, TV2 DK
24 November 2013 , 12:35

I watched only an hour of training Saturday as Caroline Wozniacki and Thomas Högstedt had one of their very first training sessions together, but it was enough. From the first ball I saw , I sensed a new energy . Thomas Högstedt is a trainer, you can hear , and his "come on" and " bra" accompanied Wozniacki powerful strokes repertoire that I have rarely seen expanded to such an extent . It takes a lot before Caroline gets out of breath , but it was she . And she was with a smile . It was in every way encouraging to see the two together on a tennis court . They suit each other .

After the training , I got a brief chat with Caroline before she had to " swap " into dry clothes . The Swedish and Danish languages blender namely already well together for the new duo . It was a happy Caroline who clearly thrive with his new coach . " He gives the gas ," she rolled up and told about a companionship that is already working well. " We know each other already, and it makes it easier. " Caroline Wozniacki has always stressed that it is important for her that she has a good personal relationship with those she works with , and it was evident on training today , why. Thomas Högstedt found out the best in Caroline Wozniacki .

It surprised me how much different the energy to exercise were compared to the many, many other trainings that I have attended . Something is perhaps that something new is often exciting and energizing only in its capacity to be new , but I think now it's more than that. I saw a Högstedt who are passionate about developing Wozniacki's game and sees a potential. He told me that he is looking forward to getting started with the challenge because he thinks there is so much to work with. Högstedt is a man who likes to develop . " She should have no more power, " was the first thing he said . " She has it in her , we just have to find it out. " A big smile was permanently on his face as he talked about Caroline and I felt real that I was facing a coach who believed in his pupil . And when we , in this context speaks of faith in his pupil , it's about getting back to the top of the world rankings. Not necessarily as number one. But up at the top as an equal opponent to Azarenka , Williams and Sharapova .

After a year or two where Caroline Wozniacki has performed at the highest international level, I think now that the big things are in store . No one can doubt how much work Wozniacki has done , or what proportion he has in Caroline's success, but all of which have long been agreed that she needs something new. After watching an hour's training , I think really that the new is found in the best imaginable way. Before Saturday's workout , I had high expectations for this new collaboration , but after seeing an energetic , happy and dynamic duo , I screw them up just a tad . And so it may well be that Högstedt first aiming for Grand Slam titles in 2015. I believe that we already from the beginning of the season will see a Caroline Wozniacki , with new energy , deliver great results.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The next couple of weeks Wozzilroy will be in Florida training and visiting other celebs like Serena. In the meantime Stella McCartney has developed a new dress as a greeting to the sun. Don't know if it's Carolines AO outfit but here it is anyway - fresh or?

BafpAdWCQAA-yEW.png

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Stella is blind. Woz needs to put her foot down and refuse to wear those ugly outfits. She should switch to Nike. Let's hope Woz's game is not negatively affected by that eyesore of a dress.