Carlito's Way - Carlos Alcaraz Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Is this unusual to practice with probably your biggest rival in your current generation

Did Novak or Rafa practice together..Did either ever practice with Roger ?

Reactions: Kieran

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is this unusual to practice with probably your biggest rival in your current generation

Did Novak or Rafa practice together..Did either ever practice with Roger ?

I think Big3 practiced together early in their rivalries and later much less. I guess it's okay as long as it is only a few practices per year, but you don't want rival to get too much feel for what you are doing on a tennis court and if you have some secret shots/combos to try out.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Post US Open, I watched Carlos’ semifinal again. As much as Medvedev stated that he played at level 12 to win, it looked more like Carlos was playing at level 8. Shots off both forehand and backhand sides were uncharacteristically errant, and not all due to Daniil playing some outstanding level of tennis. Carlos wasn’t dialed in the way he normally is. For one set, he played close to his best level, but was still making silly errors. Is it just my bias? Interested in hearing other takes on the match.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
List of injuries for Carlos so far.

I used google translate from the serbian journalist.

"Carlos Alcaraz is only 20 years old and, unfortunately, already has an enviable injury list. The end of last season and the beginning of this one, he had to miss in order to cure all ailments, but at the end of 2023, just when the fight for the first place took off, the Spaniard announced that he was retiring from Basel.

As things stand now, the course of the year reminds a lot of his older compatriot, Rafael Nadal. He plays, suffers from pain, takes a vacation to heal everything that is bothering him and returns to Tour. And so on.

Let's see what has been bothering Carlitos since 2021.

- US Open, 2021: withdrew due to an abdominal muscle injury in the quarterfinals

- final Masters in Turin, 2022: abdominal muscle injury, withdrew before the start of the tournament

- Australian Open, 2023: leg pain (stated he made an unnatural move in practice that caused leg pain), withdrew before the start of the tournament

- Rio, 2023: hamstring strain, lost to Nori in the final

- Acapulco, 2023: recovering from a hamstring strain, withdrew before the tournament to recover

- Miami, 2023: struggled with cramps, lost final to Sinners

- Monte Carlo, 2023: problems with back and arm pain, withdrew before the start of the tournament

- Roland Garros, 2023: struggled with cramps, lost to Djokovic in the semi-finals

- Basel, 2023: inflammation of the ligaments of the left foot and back pain, withdrew before the start of the tournament

Is there an end to this streak? And will we see him on the field by the end of the year?"

• Wow
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

"Carlos Alcaraz is only 20 years old and, unfortunately, already has an enviable injury list. The end of last season and the beginning of this one, he had to miss in order to cure all ailments, but at the end of 2023, just when the fight for the first place took off, the Spaniard announced that he was retiring from Basel.

As things stand now, the course of the year reminds a lot of his older compatriot, Rafael Nadal. He plays, suffers from pain, takes a vacation to heal everything that is bothering him and returns to Tour. And so on.

- US Open, 2021: withdrew due to an abdominal muscle injury in the quarterfinals

- final Masters in Turin, 2022: abdominal muscle injury, withdrew before the start of the tournament

- Australian Open, 2023: leg pain (stated he made an unnatural move in practice that caused leg pain), withdrew before the start of the tournament

- Acapulco, 2023: recovering from a hamstring strain, withdrew before the tournament to recover

- Monte Carlo, 2023: problems with back and arm pain, withdrew before the start of the tournament

- Roland Garros, 2023: struggled with cramps, lost to Djokovic in the semi-finals

- Basel, 2023: inflammation of the ligaments of the left foot and back pain, withdrew before the start of the tournament

Is there an end to this streak? And will we see him on the field by the end of the year?"

I've been trying to tell people of this concerning Carlos! He works too hard trying to make the highlite reels of sports shows that it's breaking him down! I keep saying to myself, "why is he running for that particular point when up a couple breaks?" He's literally trying to take the cover off the ball blasting every rally ball aside from his many drop-shots!! He has all the talent in the world, but I see him limping out of the game like Murray; really abusing his body craving the adulation of the crowds! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage:

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Thanks Don,

The injury that is recurring to me is his hamstrings, tight hamstrings can cause ( back pain), we get our speed from our hamstrings and glute muscles, Charly is such an explosive player, he needs keeping his hamstrings strong for pain free movement.,doing stretching exercises for our hamstrings is vital.I also think in the off season he needs to hit the gym and strengthen his quad muscles.
As for his current injuries hopefully they will heal in time for Paris and ATP Finals, it not, and he plays on, they could cause further problems.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Don,

The injury that is recurring to me is his hamstrings, tight hamstrings can cause ( back pain), we get our speed from our hamstrings and glute muscles, Charly is such an explosive player, he needs keeping his hamstrings strong for pain free movement.,doing stretching exercises for our hamstrings is vital.I also think in the off season he needs to hit the gym and strengthen his quad muscles.
As for his current injuries hopefully they will heal in time for Paris and ATP Finals, it not, and he plays on, they could cause further problems.
He should take a page from the Djokovic playbook and do a lot more stretching.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carlos has massive legs. A lifelong discipline of stretching will help. I know he’s not hitting every shot of every point to make the highlight reel, but he’s putting some incredible wear on those legs. My concern is the mention of plantars fasciitis as one of the reasons for passing on Basel. He’s too young to have to deal with that. :facepalm:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos has massive legs. A lifelong discipline of stretching will help. I know he’s not hitting every shot of every point to make the highlight reel, but he’s putting some incredible wear on those legs. My concern is the mention of plantars fasciitis as one of the reasons for passing on Basel. He’s too young to have to deal with that. :facepalm:
I feel the wear and tear on hard courts is a reason that Charly has a plantar fascitis, I would suggest getting some orthopedic insoles in his shoes, to help absorb the impact on court, I also wear them, as I am very heavy and put my foot down when I run , mainly on asphalt,even though I am light in frame and taller than Charly, if this is a recurring problem and I hope not, he could look at having his tennis shoes built up, to absorb the impact.

Reactions: tented and nehmeth