BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2024 - WTA 1000

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_0369.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy International Women's Day Everyone!

Some fun match ups today and welcome back Madison Keys to the tour!

I was going to post this yesterday, with the rain delays, quite frankly I forgot :)

This is from Jess Pegula when she spoke to the IW media on why she decided to split with long time coach David Witt ( btw David Witt is now coaching Maria Sakkari)

Jess Pegula says her split with Coach David Witt because she needed to take some chances.Not that being 30 is the end - I think I just didn't want to look back and be like maybe I should have tried someone else or tried something different. I kind of wanted to change things up, and I think being uncomfortable makes you learn new things and pushes you in new direction and can be really helpful.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osta comes back from 3-5, 15-40 to win the 1st set 75 against Kerber ( I am also watching a mens match at the same time lol)
Good level from both players

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Happy International Women's Day Everyone!

Some fun match ups today and welcome back Madison Keys to the tour!

I was going to post this yesterday, with the rain delays, quite frankly I forgot :)

This is from Jess Pegula when she spoke to the IW media on why she decided to split with long time coach David Witt ( btw David Witt is now coaching Maria Sakkari)

Jess Pegula says her split with Coach David Witt because she needed to take some chances.Not that being 30 is the end - I think I just didn't want to look back and be like maybe I should have tried someone else or tried something different. I kind of wanted to change things up, and I think being uncomfortable makes you learn new things and pushes you in new direction and can be really helpful.
David Witt is a coach who can keep you steady after you have won a few slams.She doesn't have the attributes and instincts of natural atheletes.She is a hardworker who doesn't have that mental will to win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
David Witt is a coach who can keep you steady after you have won a few slams.She doesn't have the attributes and instincts of natural atheletes.She is a hardworker who doesn't have that mental will to win.
I also think the same about Sakkari her mentality lets her down time and time again, can Witt help her in this area at all? time will tell

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Going 3 sets now in the match between Osta and Kerber
Kerber really lifted her level of play in the 2nd set winning 63, Osta 1st set 75

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I also think the same about Sakkari her mentality lets her down time and time again, can Witt help her in this area at all? time will tell
I feel for Sakkari because she has the attributes but the mental part is lacking.She needs to trust herself and problem solve without looking at her coach for assistance after every point .She is the kind of player I root for and hopefully Witt will help her overcome her fears.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel for Sakkari because she has the attributes but the mental part is lacking.She needs to trust herself and problem solve without looking at her coach for assistance after every point .She is the kind of player I root for and hopefully Witt will help her overcome her fears.
Hopefully she can cut that out looking at her coach after every point she plays, it does look pathetic, especially at this level

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Angie Kerber gets a great top ten win taking out Ostapenko 57 63 63 really lifted her game from the 1st set and a well deserved victory
I mentioned yesterday in her match the best I have seen her play this year, and she took it up another level today against an in form Ostapenko

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga taking the last 3 games in the 1st set against Collins 6-3
Wow Iga, I think the Banshee is having flash backs to their last 4 matches :) though her serve has broken down to be fair, maybe she is having back troubles she had to retire in her last tournament, she had no trouble with her serve in the 1st set
Iga Swiatek wins her first match at IW 63 60

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
According to the WTA website it appears that Rybakina has withdrawn? trying to find out the reason
LL Kayla Day, will play Podoroska
Rybakina withdrew due to gastro illness, seems like the last 9 months she gets ill in big tournaments RG, Dubai and now IW, she was also the defending champ

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well done to Angie Kerber gets a great top ten win taking out Ostapenko 57 63 63 really lifted her game from the 1st set and a well deserved victory
I mentioned yesterday in her match the best I have seen her play this year, and she took it up another level today against an in form Ostapenko
Angie is back! once she is match tough watch out b******

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Angie is back! once she is match tough watch out b******
I also think the conditions suit her game, these slow gritty conditions really help good defensive players, I remember calling her the 'wall' when she was in her prime lol! with Osta one minute she is in the 'zone' and the next minute she becomes a UFE machine :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Caroline Wozniacki in a hard fought match defeats the No 25 seed Vekic 76(5) 63

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well isn't it moms day today so it's ok that Caroline wins and actually wins in a tough match against her neighbour in Monaco Vekic. Nice to see that smile again
1709945259677.png

Stats
1709945320559.png

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Just sad. She completely fell off the map. I don't want her to turn into a one slam wonder like Osta, but that appears to be happening.

• Sad
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer