Australian Open Final: Rafael Nadal (9) v Roger Federer (17)

Who wins?

• Total voters

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Also the fact he's won 5+ at 3 different slams is insane. In the future when someone inevitably breaks his record (hopefully a looonng time from now) the breakdown will likely be something like Rafa where the player wins 1 event something like 10 times and then has 9-10 from the other 3. Being totally dominant at 3 of the slams is going to be difficult even with the homogenization of the surfaces and playing styles.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's amazing to think that Federer has reached the semis or better in his last 5 slams, and we keep talking about retirement. This fella just beggars belief

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Pat Cash accusing Federer of cheating because of the MTO. I'm not a fan of it, I'll be the first one to say so. But I don't recall Cash making much of an issue of it when Rafa and others have done the same thing. It's funny I've met Cash a few times, and I got the impression that he wasn't willing to give Roger proper credit. I wonder if jealousy or sour grapes are leaking out

Reactions: Vince Evert

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I haven't watched the match but I've read a lot about the Roger's MTO when he was down 4-1 .Can someone tell what was the reason?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I haven't watched the match but I've read a lot about the Roger's MTO when he was down 4-1 .Can someone tell what was the reason?

If I am not mistaken it was on the beginning of the fifth. I would say that it is the same reason of the semi.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he's been struggling with a hip abductor injury since the 2nd round. He took a MTO to get it massaged

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pat Cash accusing Federer of cheating because of the MTO. I'm not a fan of it, I'll be the first one to say so. But I don't recall Cash making much of an issue of it when Rafa and others have done the same thing. It's funny I've met Cash a few times, and I got the impression that he wasn't willing to give Roger proper credit. I wonder if jealousy or sour grapes are leaking out
Nah. Something to write about. And Rafa took a bathroom break after he lost the first. Need? Gamesmanship? Who cares? It's in the rules, and if we want these guys to entertain us for 4 hours at a time, they need a little latitude.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah. Something to write about. And Rafa took a bathroom break after he lost the first. Need? Gamesmanship? Who cares? It's in the rules, and if we want these guys to entertain us for 4 hours at a time, they need a little latitude.

I have to confess, I really don't like it. Even if Roger is the one doing it.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Perhaps as a compromise, bring back the 10 minute rest after the third set and 1 set all for Women's singles. I know that the Australian Open used to have that law as did the Davis Cup. Not sure if Wimbledon did not have that law at one time as well. Well said, Mox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is how Rafa feels after the loss. I really envy him how good he is feeling

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't either but the alternative would be worse. Either the quality of play would drop down significantly or a player would default their match. Hey if you should meet cash again, ask him if he can upload the Davis Cup 1986 match versus Mikeal Pernfors on You Tube for us, LOL. I so loved grass court tennis of that era.

Reactions: Federberg

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is how Rafa feels after the loss. I really envy him how good he is feeling

Good on you Carol. Think that third round match vs Zverev when he was down two sets to one, might be remembered as the match that resurrected his career and a confidence builder for the rest of this year. Critics have been writing him off for two years now.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't either but the alternative would be worse. Either the quality of play would drop down significantly or a player would default their match. Hey if you should meet cash again, ask him if he can upload the Davis Cup 1986 match versus Mikeal Pernfors on You Tube for us, LOL. I so loved grass court tennis of that era.

I reckon he wanted to be a part of the story today, which is just a bit pathetic

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't either but the alternative would be worse. Either the quality of play would drop down significantly or a player would default their match.
Agreed, RZ. IMO, what tennis players do is stunning, in terms of physical and mental fortitude, all alone, for the length of the match and the season. Especially the men in Majors. For our entertainment. If they need a break once in a while, within the rules, I don't think it's terrible. I don't think it's always about gaming the opponent, either...it's a gathering of themselves. Remember Murray's toilet break after losing the 3rd and 4th sets to Novak in USO '12? He said he gave himself a talking to, and it helped. Probably had to pee, too.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Fun match to watch. To be fair, I watched it after I already knew the result, which made it a stress-free experience. Never thought that Federer would've ever again beat Nadal at a major. Never thought he'd ever win #18, either.

Oh, yeah...and I absolutely LOVE the looks of Federer's black racquet! I've been out of the tennis loop for a while. Is the black racquet a new thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fun match to watch. To be fair, I watched it after I already knew the result, which made it a stress-free experience. Never thought that Federer would've ever again beat Nadal at a major. Never thought he'd ever win #18, either.

Oh, yeah...and I absolutely LOVE the looks of Federer's black racquet! I've been out of the tennis loop for a while. Is the black racquet a new thing?

Good to see you man... didn't think we'd be having this conversation again about Fed winning majors... You just need Fognini to win Roland Garros now...