Australian Open 2023 - Men's Draw Challenge

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Time for the Draw Challenge! Or quite late, some might say. If you don't know how it's done, click on Draw Challenge on the menu bar above, and it has an instructional video. Join our group, which is called "Discuss Tennis," for the draw challenge. Make you picks asap, and we can discuss (and bemoan) choices here.

DM me if you have questions.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie I cannot get into the draw challenge and the video says it is not available

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
On first glance I see a lot of possible upsets in the 1st Round.! There are some stunning match-ups that the top players better be "on ready!" :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Agreed.. This was the toughest Draw Challenge EVER.. I felt like I was trying to pick the winners for the Grammys .. I am too OLD.. I didnt know more than 25 players in this draw.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had to get to work so I did it in a hurry:)
I did it in a hurry because I'm tired, and because it's a tough one. What do you do with Wawrinka's first round, for example? This is the draw challenge equivalent of saying "my hamstring is bothering me." (The light was in my eyes. The dog ate my homework. I was too busy with work to focus.) :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, I decided to give it a shot but missed the time cut. Oh well.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I decided to give it a shot but missed the time cut. Oh well.
That's OK, next one. You want to tell us who you've got to win it? Any matches you've picked out as tricky to call? You can still game match-ups and we won't hold it against you that there's no proof.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's OK, next one. You want to tell us who you've got to win it? Any matches you've picked out as tricky to call? You can still game match-ups and we won't hold it against you that there's no proof.
Haha. Well, like I've seen others say, I think we could see a few upsets. I still think Novak is the favorite, but his gimpy hamstring could lead to an upset. If I'm a Rafa fan, not so optimistic, but if he can make it through the first two or three rounds, he goes back to being the runner-up favorite, imo. I suspect he'll manage to get by Draper, but it could provide a scare or two for you folks.

I don't as much have predictions as I have things I'll be looking for - mostly having to do with who among the young guys is going to take it up a notch this year. My bets are on Sinner and FAA. Maybe Korda too, but he's a couple steps behind, so he's a guy I could see taste the top 10 this year.

I'm also closely watching Tsitsipas, as I have a hunch he could straighten out a bit and be a serious Slam candidate. Also looking to see how Daniil plays. I'm worried he has yips potential.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I did it in a hurry because I'm tired, and because it's a tough one. What do you do with Wawrinka's first round, for example? This is the draw challenge equivalent of saying "my hamstring is bothering me." (The light was in my eyes. The dog ate my homework. I was too busy with work to focus.) :face-with-tears-of-joy:
It is a tough one, though I feel I made mistakes as I had to get to work and also in a hurry.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Haha. Well, like I've seen others say, I think we could see a few upsets. I still think Novak is the favorite, but his gimpy hamstring could lead to an upset. If I'm a Rafa fan, not so optimistic, but if he can make it through the first two or three rounds, he goes back to being the runner-up favorite, imo. I suspect he'll manage to get by Draper, but it could provide a scare or two for you folks.

I don't as much have predictions as I have things I'll be looking for - mostly having to do with who among the young guys is going to take it up a notch this year. My bets are on Sinner and FAA. Maybe Korda too, but he's a couple steps behind, so he's a guy I could see taste the top 10 this year.

I'm also closely watching Tsitsipas, as I have a hunch he could straighten out a bit and be a serious Slam candidate. Also looking to see how Daniil plays. I'm worried he has yips potential.
All good...I like you weighing in here. I agree, as a Rafa fan, even tonight will be tense. He's on a losing streak. But all the great champions get dangerous in the 2nd week.

In my draw, I put a lot of faith in the youngsters. I think Fritz could do well. FAA did well here last year. I hope a lot for Korda, but I think I put him out early-ish. I put more faith in Sinner, I think. In the end, I picked a Rafa v. Novak final, with Rafa to win. (I believe in dancing with the one that brought you.) But it's not that I really feel that outcome or even that final. Two players I'm not feeling so much are Medvedev and Tsitsipas. By this I just mean witchy-ness, Magic 8 Ball not feeling it. I don't think I picked either for upset, but I wouldn't be surprised if either goes out earlier than predicted. And now Tsitsipas knows he'll make #1 if he wins it all. Surely that's the kiss of death, for his weak head.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All good...I like you weighing in here. I agree, as a Rafa fan, even tonight will be tense. He's on a losing streak. But all the great champions get dangerous in the 2nd week.

In my draw, I put a lot of faith in the youngsters. I think Fritz could do well. FAA did well here last year. I hope a lot for Korda, but I think I put him out early-ish. I put more faith in Sinner, I think. In the end, I picked a Rafa v. Novak final, with Rafa to win. (I believe in dancing with the one that brought you.) But it's not that I really feel that outcome or even that final. Two players I'm not feeling so much are Medvedev and Tsitsipas. By this I just mean witchy-ness, Magic 8 Ball not feeling it. I don't think I picked either for upset, but I wouldn't be surprised if either goes out earlier than predicted. And now Tsitsipas knows he'll make #1 if he wins it all. Surely that's the kiss of death, for his weak head.
I am a bit worried about Sinner he injured his upper thigh leg, in Adelaide, against Korda who was too good for him in that match, I hope he can stay injury free this year,..I also think Fritz can do well he has a good draw and has played well in the United Cup for USA, Meddy is still a question mark for me and also the Young Greek..

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did mine in a hurry, didn't want to miss. It is hard to gauge who is about to do really well and some less. When you take for example FAA, Sinner, Tsitsipas they can all beat each other. Or for example Berrettini, you never know with him, high quality player, but always under injury question marks. Ruud is also hard to predict, he can go deep, but go put early too.

I have Novak - Daniil in finals, and Novak for a win. I have Tsitsipas and Ruud in SF, don't really know why I keep having hopes for Tsitsipas to do well, he could go out earlier too. I guess I just think that he can do better as a player and he played good tennis in AO before, so let's see..

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I did mine in a hurry, didn't want to miss. It is hard to gauge who is about to do really well and some less. When you take for example FAA, Sinner, Tsitsipas they can all beat each other. Or for example Berrettini, you never know with him, high quality player, but always under injury question marks. Ruud is also hard to predict, he can go deep, but go put early too.

I have Novak - Daniil in finals, and Novak for a win. I have Tsitsipas and Ruud in SF, don't really know why I keep having hopes for Tsitsipas to do well, he could go out earlier too. I guess I just think that he can do better as a player and he played good tennis in AO before, so let's see..
I also did mine in a hurry I had to get to work....I decided to give Nick proper run, even though he had no warm up tournaments, niggling ankle injury, though he was talking himself up? then he withdrew due to an knee problem, Coric, Kwon Musetti, , though he has had shoulder problems recently, my challenge is now shot to pieces, thank goodness my WTA selections so far are holding up.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think it was pretty hard. I gave Stan one round, but he's out.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425