Australian Open 2022 [Women] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, Halep hangs in to force Cornet to serve for it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cornet will now serve for a place in the q/final,it will a first in her career at Grand Slam level...5-4

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's me that wrong, she did it! 63 appearances in a Major, and her first QF.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In a match that lasted for 2 1/2 hours in hot weather Alize Cornet has made her first q/final at a GS she has defeated the No 14 seed Simona Halep 64 36 64
Both ladies will sleep well tonight as both ran each other ragged.
Surprise result...well done to the Frenchwoman!
Cornet will play Collins in her first ever GS q/final

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sweet on-court interview. Who is the woman who is doing them? She's an ex-player and clearly a friend to Alize.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First Pride Day at the AO.

Unknown.png

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Finally someone dismissed that loud screaming DF machine. I'm looking for a quieter, gentler Auzzie Open! :lulz1:

Anyway, Kaia almost choked again. She had Keys on the ropes at the USO in 2017 and she lost that one. This is where having the final set TB actually helped her since she couldn't win the MP on her serve. With a TB there would be and end to match no matter who won it.

Good job Kanepi. :clap:Now if she could dismiss the annoying Collins, it really will be a quiet final weekend for the women anyway.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I'll just throw this one out for discussion - if you were told that three Americans were going to reach the last 8 of the AO - would your choices have been Pegula, Collins and Keys? Wow, I know Pegula made the QF last year, I believe Collins was a semifinalist, but Keys? Granted Madison Keys has found new life in her career, but I would not have expected these three playing for a spot in the semifinals. Congrats to Kanepi for getting past Sabalenka, but with Saba you never know if nerves are going to be the deciding factor. Good for Kai! Cornet beating Halep, I believe Cornet is the oldest woman remaining woman in the draw, so happy she continues to play. Intriguing semifinal prospects, if the seeding hold we would see Barty (most likely) and Krejcikova (possibly?) but the bottom half is wide open. Really enjoyable tournament, I love it when we all can sit back on our couches (or bed in my case lol) and just watch the tournament unfold. So unpredictable, I think it is great for the women's game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Finally someone dismissed that loud screaming DF machine. I'm looking for a quieter, gentler Auzzie Open! :lulz1:

Anyway, Kaia almost choked again. She had Keys on the ropes at the USO in 2017 and she lost that one. This is where having the final set TB actually helped her since she couldn't win the MP on her serve. With a TB there would be and end to match no matter who won it.

Good job Kanepi. :clap:Now if she could dismiss the annoying Collins, it really will be a quiet final weekend for the women anyway.
I just got home from work,Kanepi has always been a Giant Killer in GS tournaments,I was not surprised she won.I have always had a soft spot for Kanepi.Honestly the way Sabalenka was playing it was only a matter of time she went out

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Q/Finals from the Top Half of the draw,

Day session on Rod Laver Arena..........not before 12.30pm AEDT

Barbora Krejcikova (4) vs Madison Keys..........First meeting

I was impressed with Keys form so far this tournament,apart from her serve,to date she is leading in the Ace department,it has been her bhand that has improved out of sight.Barbora is a player that can absorb pace,also change the pace of the ball,with spin and slice
A contrast in styles.

Rod Laver Arena Night session 7.00pm AEDT,

A.Barty (1) vs Jessica Pegula (21) ...........H2H Barty 1-0 (clay)

This is also a match with contrasting styles,Jess is a first strike hitter of the ball,Barty in her tool box can change the rhythm,using slice and spin.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'll just throw this one out for discussion - if you were told that three Americans were going to reach the last 8 of the AO - would your choices have been Pegula, Collins and Keys? Wow, I know Pegula made the QF last year, I believe Collins was a semifinalist, but Keys? Granted Madison Keys has found new life in her career, but I would not have expected these three playing for a spot in the semifinals. Congrats to Kanepi for getting past Sabalenka, but with Saba you never know if nerves are going to be the deciding factor. Good for Kai! Cornet beating Halep, I believe Cornet is the oldest woman remaining woman in the draw, so happy she continues to play. Intriguing semifinal prospects, if the seeding hold we would see Barty (most likely) and Krejcikova (possibly?) but the bottom half is wide open. Really enjoyable tournament, I love it when we all can sit back on our couches (or bed in my case lol) and just watch the tournament unfold. So unpredictable, I think it is great for the women's game.
Exciting times indeed mate! A new AO champion will be crowned. No one left in the draw has even been to the final before. We have 3 former semi-finalists in Ash, Collins and Keys. As for your first question, if I was asked before the tourney started the 3 Americans to reach the QF, in the absence of Serena, my answer would have been Collins, Kenin and Sloane because they were all SF before.

And as @MargaretMcAleer eluded to before, Kaia is the oldest remaining as she is 36. Cornet is 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.