AO Semi: Rafael Nadal (9) vs Grigor Dimitrov (15)

Who wins?

• Nadal in 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dimitrov in 3

• Dimitrov in 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know if I would say Federer has a ho-hum semifinal major record. I would venture to say that 4 or 5 of his semi losses have come since 2011 and he has won five semifinals since then and won a major once in 2012 at SW19. He basically lost one semifinal between the 2005 Wimbledon and the 2010 French Open. Before that SW19 in 2005, he had lost one time to Nadal in Paris in the semis, once to Safin in Melbourne and that may be it. I can't recall if he made the semis in 2003 in New York. I know he won the first 7 major finals he reached and I think that is still a record. Has he lost more semis in the last five or six years as he has slid down from his lofty peak? Sure, but come on. I give all the praise in the world to Nadal, as he deserves it, but to say Roger's record at the business end of slams has been anything less than superlative I take issue with. Rafa in semis is stellar, but he has a long way to go (years in fact) to equal Federer's appearances in semis or finals, for that matter.

on THIS detail; about ROGER'S semis runs -- i agree it should NOT be called ''ho-hum'

it's one of the great records in history. ther'es no question of that.
comparing him only with nadal on this matter doesn't put in context that very, very , very few have posted that kind of run.

total credit to roger for that record by itself.

Reactions: shawnbm

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One thing that's really astounding about Nadal, he's made the semi finals 24 times now, and has reached the final 21 times. He only lost in the semis three times... That is absolutely incredible.

I've done some research (from pure memory) and here's Nadal's semi final stats:

2005 French Open, played Roger Federer: Won.
2006 French Open, played Ivan Ljubicic: Won.
2006 Wimbledon, played Marcos Baghdatis: Won.
2007 French Open, played Novak Djokovic: Won.
2007 Wimbledon, played Novak Djokovic: Won.
2008 Australian Open, played J. W. Tsonga: Lost.
2008 French Open, played Novak Djokovic: Won.
2008 Wimbledon, played Rainer Schuttler: Won.
2008 US Open, played Andy Murray: Lost.
2009 Australian Open, played Fernando Verdasco: Won.
2009 US Open, played J. M. Del Potro: Lost.
2010 French Open, played Jurgen Melzer: Won.
2010 Wimbledon, played Andy Murray: Won.
2010 US Open, played Mikhail Youzhny: Won.
2011 French Open, played Andy Murray: Won.
2011 Wimbledon, played Andy Murray: Won.
2011 US Open, played Andy Murray: Won.
2012 Australian Open, played Roger Federer: Won.
2012 French Open, played David Ferrer: Won.
2013 French Open, played Novak Djokovic: Won.
2013 US Open, played Richard Gasquet: Won.
2014 Australian Open, played Roger Federer: Won.
2014 French Open, played Andy Murray: Won.
2017 Australian Open, played Grigor Dimitrov: Won.

His only 3 losses in semis came to Tsonga, Murray and Del Potro. The Tsonga match was seriously one of the top 3 greatest performances I've seen in a major by anyone, as Jo played out of his mind. The Del Potro match was a step too far as Nadal was coming off the tendinitis, lacking in confidence, playing with an injured abdomen, and came up against a hot Del Potro. The Murray match from 2008 was the one match that Nadal would have been disappointed in, as he lost a second set tie break, won the third, and was up a break in the fourth to tie the match but lost. It also came at a time where he was the best player in the world and oozing with confidence.

The reason I bring this up is that Nadal when it comes to semi finals, has barely missed any opportunity he's had. In fact, the last time he lost in a semi was in 2009 which is absolutely amazing. He's won 13 semis in a row since. Out of his 21 semi final wins, 3 came over Federer, 5 over Murray and 4 over Djokovic.

To further add to the above. of Nadal's 21 wins in semi finals, 14 were straight set wins, 4 were four-setters, and only 3 went to five sets. So in other terms, the matches in which he didn't drop a set are double the amount of those he did (14 to 7) and only 3 times was he taken to 5 sets. Just a testament to how much he gets rolling once he goes deep.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To further add to the above. of Nadal's 21 wins in semi finals, 14 were straight set wins, 4 were four-setters, and only 3 went to five sets. So in other terms, the matches in which he didn't drop a set are double the amount of those he did (14 to 7) and only 3 times was he taken to 5 sets. Just a testament to how much he gets rolling once he goes deep.

this is good to know also --

through the years -- hasn't it been rather a general impression (maybe from teh way commentators on tv bring up simplistic descriptions of players : u know: roger is like THIS and nadal is like THAT and so one, short sound bites)

that nadal ALWAYS had so much trouble to win his rounds? i always thought that - YES -- because he has a very energetic and ''energy-expending" style of play -- that the natural and immediate conclusion is that nadal has ''difficulty winning" -

and from there - another impression appears or takes a life of its own :
that nadal MOSTLY won his matches with so much effort that it took him not just long points (quite true according to his style ) - but ''needed" five sets instead of the ''smooth, streamlined, effortless" way -- of say -- roger federer by contrast.

but then we see these numbers and in reality -- nadal's results are about as ''quick" as any regular player's numbers.

considering he reaches far in events so many times.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken, as much as you tend to stay calm and rational, I think these posts show that you're just as jazzed as the rest of us about this impending final. Thanks for the stats on Rafa's semis. It's hard not to be nervous and excited, as such dedicated fans, brother.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken, as much as you tend to stay calm and rational, I think these posts show that you're just as jazzed as the rest of us about this impending final. Thanks for the stats on Rafa's semis. It's hard not to be nervous and excited, as such dedicated fans, brother.

If anything I'm more jazzed than the rest of you, believe me. Just when I thought I was out Rafa pulls me back in.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If anything I'm more jazzed than the rest of you, believe me. Just when I thought I was out Rafa pulls me back in.
I'll challenge you on "more jazzed," but I feel you. You don't go in for fannish optimism, so this moment might have you reeling a bit. It does me, and I always believe he's about to turn the corner. :) Here's to a good final and a great outcome for us Rafa fans.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll challenge you on "more jazzed," but I feel you. You don't go in for fannish optimism, so this moment might have you reeling a bit. It does me, and I always pretend he's about to turn the corner. :) Here's to a good final and a great outcome for us Rafa fans.

BUT if ROGER WINS -- rafa fans -- including me -- should congratulate ROGER fans - all the way. no excuses - no matter what.

WIN is still a win whatever anyone believes - including us , rafa fans.

quarrels can always come forever --

but when a player is the last man standing with the title -- that's all there is to it. qualified or not - FINALISTS whatever it took or did not -- to get to where they are the last 2 players -- got there because OTHERS failed to get there.

Remember that there have been many players that no one would EVER argue was the ''best" - yet -- that person was the one that found a WAY to be the champion (we are supposing played fair against an opponent and most players really are, imo) -
GASTON GAUDIO?
IVA MAJOLI, remember her over Martina Hingis?
ANASTASJA MYSKINA ?
ANDY RODDICK?
MARION BARTOLI?

among the ''one-slam wonders?" alone?

they fought through SEVEN matches.

none of them could be said to have been the best of even THEIR particular winning years - YET - they played and won and were the champions -- like it or not.

IT'S THE WINNER'S TROPHY -- no one else's.

so -- it also is the same even between the legendary rivals.

IF RAFA WINS -- Great for him and rafa fans and for tennis.
IF ROGER WINS -Great for him and roger fans and for tennis.

it hardly gets better than such things. two OLD BEAT UP champs going at it again -- just like ''old times''..when fresher guys are supposed to beat THEM up..

yet -- there they are in a few hours - to continue their epic .

it's amazing to see them just about at the TOP like this . even if only for this two weeks so far. because it also shows the younger ones - just how HIGH the standards really are to be LIKE these multiple majors winners like

roger
, rafa
, nole , andy .......
and yes - wawrinka , too

but don't forget -- the day after -- start quarreling ..it's more fun.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really have little to complain about, whatever happens, and, frankly, neither should Fed fans. This final is a gift, and I'll take it as such.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Losing a GS final is nothing to get excited about. It only takes 6 wins to get there, going 6-1 over 2 weeks is no amazing feat. Lame, uncompetitive way of thinking my dear Moxie.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Losing a GS final is nothing to get excited about. It only takes 6 wins to get there, going 6-1 over 2 weeks is no amazing feat. Lame, uncompetitive way of thinking my dear Moxie.
I know you feel that there are no victories that don't result in hardware. For a Nadal fan, though, this is a better comeback than we've seen in some time, and signals some good things for the future. Will I be content with less, or would Nadal? Hell no. But I'll still take heart for the French and going forward. This is a lot of upside, considering where he was the last 2 years.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I hear you. But it's been worse for Roger, he's done next to nothing for almost 5 years and time is ticking fast

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know you feel that there are no victories that don't result in hardware. For a Nadal fan, though, this is a better comeback than we've seen in some time, and signals some good things for the future. Will I be content with less, or would Nadal? Hell no. But I'll still take heart for the French and going forward. This is a lot of upside, considering where he was the last 2 years.

this is a good point -- rafa remains the most adept clay court champion of all time - excellent as NOLE , wawrinka,and roger have been in their turns.
certainly the toll has been great (but this is the same in their own ways on others as great champions in their own right -- we can't even imagine what it must be like , day in , day out)

but the fact that RAFA SEEMS -- so far -- to be doing really quite well - far better in these two weeks than we have seen him for practically almost 2 years -- , if he is really much more ''re-energized" healthy - etc -- it bodes well that he has reached the finals already -- for his FO chances again. which of course also depends on how his esteemed rivals like roger, wawrinka, nole -- alll FO champs -- do , as well as any other potential champs.

for rafa fans, like myself too -- it is preferable he does it HERE already - as time flies after all. every opportunity to actually win one - or even make a run at their age and after so many years of beatdowns -- just gets more difficult to put together.

LESS than THREE hours BEFORE first serve...!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I hear you. But it's been worse for Roger, he's done next to nothing for almost 5 years and time is ticking fast

TRUE -- roger would probably need to play very tactically shot by shot..and try to shorten points . especially if RAFA comes in refreshed and ready to go all the way. i also think that the race to grab the first set is very crucial in their mentality -- as their rivalry is so ''psychological" - probably more so than technical.