AI - Artificial Intelligence

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly. The film provides at least a partial explanation for the extreme polarity in politics. I’m old enough to remember nightly news in the pre-cable 70s and 80s, when (in the US) there were three networks: ABC, CBS, and NBC. Walter Cronkite delivered the news in a just-the-fact-ma’am manner. There was no financial interest in driving up TV ratings through creating left- and right-wing media, because during that time the news divisions of these companies were editorially independent and no one thought of them as a source of income.
This is an unfortunate development and I wonder if it's due to the pressures of social media? I think it was said in one of the videos that most people get their news from social media now? And so the TV networks have had to become more outrageous and ridiculously biased and divisive to gain a foothold?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just on the topic of AI, what would be a sound definition of Artificial Intelligence?

What will its limits be? What will its capabilities be?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Since there has been talk just about artificial intelligence & I haven't had a chance to watch all the videos on how soc. media & A.I. have been impacting people I decided to write a bit on the impact soc. media has had on me which will be the same as the impact soc. media has had on other people.

My first experience with soc. media was when I joined twitter. I 1st joined twitter after I'd been on holiday & I met 1 of the celebrities I'd wanted to meet for a bit. I'd always wanted to meet Paul Laidlaw, Anita Manning & Natasha off Bargain Hunt & Antiques Road Trip & Neil Oliver off Coast, A history of ancient Britain, a history of Scotland & Vikings. I met Paul Laidlaw & spoke to him in an antique shop in Filey. He was such a gentleman that I googled him. I joined twitter so I could speak to him. I found out I could speak to him & other celebrities too. (He later spoke to me & followed me on twitter. 1stly, I spoke to antiques experts & historians on twitter. Later some historians who followed included me in conversations about body-snatching & who I thought the cruellest British monarch was. I also disagreed with a historian who said Robert The Bruce was the best Scottish king & ended up having an enjoyable chat about why we thought the way we did. I also found out more about the struggles of Argyll which were important events in most of my ancestors history. I got in with the art crowd & got included in a discussion on my favourite artist, George Stubbs. I got in with the horsy crowd on twitter & spoke horses. Then I got in with the writing crowd who said they could see how I typed that I'd be a good writer so encouraged me to start writing again. I did & I started sharing. People enjoyed my writing & I haven't looked back. I joined facebook for the same reason I joined twitter & have joined bookgroups & writer's groups on twitter. That's just a start. Twitter introduced me to forums. I made friends & was introduced to music I'd never heard before like Moody Blues music & Val Doonican's Delaney's Donkey which I found very funny. These friends made me laugh. I got encouraged to write unconventional Limericks about the news as well as conventional Limericks. I've learnt a lot.

Of course I know there's a bad side of soc. media. I got told to boil my head by someone who didn't like me disagreeing that Robert The Bruce was Scotland's best king. My historian friend thought it was disgusting he couldn't have a civilised conversation about why without nasty people chiming in. There are some abusive people who spew hatred & try to get people to do scary things. There are some psychopaths too. You have to learn to keep away from them & ignore them. (I normally both block & report them so they won't upset people & get them to do something stupid which is especially easy when someone's feeling very low like I was for a long time due to constant arguments at home with Dad when it seemed I was always wrong & couldn't do anything right *since I found out what the problem really was I realised this was untrue* & really lacking in confidence like I was. I realise now how stupid I was acting & I realised sometimes then how stupid I was being but as I couldn't say anything I thought or felt at home. I used poetry as a vent. Working in Heritage Preservation helped me a lot. I wouldn't have known what to do if I hadn't worked in Heritage Preservation & had helpful & supportive colleagues & manager's. My Managers helped me a lot too as for the 1st time in ages I was allowed to have a mind of my own & express my thoughts & feelings without having to write it in a poem. They actually asked for my ideas. Whereas I wasn't allowed to have ideas before unless I was writing. Before I started writing again I didn't even have that means of expression. Things have changed now. I'm allowed a mind of my own again.) There are reasons why people go on social media when they're feeling low but I don't want to make things too long as I'm going to give my opinions on the videos shared earlier.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just on the topic of AI, what would be a sound definition of Artificial Intelligence?

There is a good segment of information in this video.

The part on the Fourth Technology Revolution is particularly interesting.

Reactions: Kieran

Horsa

Reactions
Joe Rogan interviewing Tristan Harris. A great discussion of the effects of social media on society, and the potential of AI.

That was very interesting. Thank you very much for sharing.

I've got a lot to say about it but not much time now. Perhaps it's a good job as I'd probably be a bit too verbose if I commented on it now.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There is a good segment of information in this video.

The part on the Fourth Technology Revolution is particularly interesting.

I began to watch this but haven't yet finished and need to think about what I've seen so far. Interestingly, YouTube make us jump through hoops even to watch it, which is ridiculous, based upon what I've seen so far, but also is indicative of the political nature of social media algorithms and moderation, which as we saw during the election, tends to lean one way, which makes me wonder why YouTube don't want this video seen.

It was banned and then put up with precautions before we can watch it.

But I will finish it and come back with thoughts on it. One reason why i haven't actually finished it - and it isn't a long video - is because I need to think deeply about what I'm seeing. I don't want to reply in a glib fashion. Meanwhile, YouTube recommendations, based upon what I've been watching, gave me a video by Ben Shapiro where he discusses the Great Reset, which - after I'd mentioned that I hadn't seen any political commentators discuss this, here is YouTube's leading conservative commentator mentioning it, which I found interesting. You can hear him in this video, at about 52 minutes.

Staying with AI, another reason why I haven't finished the video quoted above is that I've been enjoying bingeing on Garry Kasparov's take on things, on several podcasts, but this one by Lex Fridman was really engaging. Here's a snippet, but the whole podcast interview is worth a listen too. Kasparov is intense, detail, practical, objective, in a very brilliant way. Fridman's podcast in general touches on this topic a lot:

Horsa

Reactions
I began to watch this but haven't yet finished and need to think about what I've seen so far. Interestingly, YouTube make us jump through hoops even to watch it, which is ridiculous, based upon what I've seen so far, but also is indicative of the political nature of social media algorithms and moderation, which as we saw during the election, tends to lean one way, which makes me wonder why YouTube don't want this video seen.

It was banned and then put up with precautions before we can watch it.

But I will finish it and come back with thoughts on it. One reason why i haven't actually finished it - and it isn't a long video - is because I need to think deeply about what I'm seeing. I don't want to reply in a glib fashion. Meanwhile, YouTube recommendations, based upon what I've been watching, gave me a video by Ben Shapiro where he discusses the Great Reset, which - after I'd mentioned that I hadn't seen any political commentators discuss this, here is YouTube's leading conservative commentator mentioning it, which I found interesting. You can hear him in this video, at about 52 minutes.

Staying with AI, another reason why I haven't finished the video quoted above is that I've been enjoying bingeing on Garry Kasparov's take on things, on several podcasts, but this one by Lex Fridman was really engaging. Here's a snippet, but the whole podcast interview is worth a listen too. Kasparov is intense, detail, practical, objective, in a very brilliant way. Fridman's podcast in general touches on this topic a lot:

Talking about Covid 19 the great reset. I just got the book today. I started reading it when I finished doing my report-writing work for today. I've read 43 pages already & so far it's very interesting & thought-provoking. (I normally read 50-100 pages a day.) I'm very sorry for interrupting your conversation but I thought you might be interested in the book.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Talking about Covid 19 the great reset. I just got the book today. I started reading it when I finished doing my report-writing work for today. I've read 43 pages already & so far it's very interesting & thought-provoking. (I normally read 50-100 pages a day.) I'm very sorry for interrupting your conversation but I thought you might be interested in the book.
You're not interrupting the conversation, it's a conversation open to the public and you're taking part in it, and a very welcome participant too! :)

What's the name of the book? Who wrote it? Cheers!

Horsa

Reactions
You're not interrupting the conversation, it's a conversation open to the public and you're taking part in it, and a very welcome participant too! :)

What's the name of the book? Who wrote it? Cheers!
O.K. Thank you very much. :0)

Covid 19 the great reset by Klaus Schwab & Thierry Malleret.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Have a play around with OpenAI - I think Musk owns it. It's impressive and even this is old AI. Get on the MIT mailing list - they send plenty of things through to test out. Some of the stuff is incredible, and I'm sure the technology in the public domain arena is just scraping the surface.

If you combine this with biotechnology, cloning and Machine Learning - you basically have a new species. I'd hazard a guess, they are already out there. The larger concerns are about limits and ethics, in a Frankenstein's monster type of way - but then again, the human race seem to be doing a pretty good job of causing enough problems all on it's own.

Interestingly, they have been trialling court systems in China based on AI.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you still haven't played around with this stuff yet... then you really need to do it ASAP.

Funny thing this week was the breaking of ChatGPT which has now been patched. Funny while it lasted.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If you still haven't played around with this stuff yet... then you really need to do it ASAP.

Funny thing this week was the breaking of ChatGPT which has now been patched. Funny while it lasted.

For those like me who have only heard or read about ChatGPT, but don’t know anything else, the Wikipedia article is helpful.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For those like me who have only heard or read about ChatGPT, but don’t know anything else, the Wikipedia article is helpful.
Microsoft have bought a large chunk of OpenAI and are going to roll it into their Bing Search Engine. This would be a huge threat to Google who are launching their AI in response... and now the Chinese are launching one. Tha AI arms race is on.

• Wow
Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t know whether I’m more scared that she pronounced my name right, or she called me out first. I’m sleeping with earth a baseball bat under the bed tonight!

:astonished-face::clap::lulz1:

Horsa

Reactions
I think it's scary that A.I. can write rhyming poetry that makes sense now as well as having a conversation with you. I don't think the rhyming poetry it writes isn't that bad though it doesn't always stick to complete & perfect rhymes. (Most of the time I do & I'm very nasty to myself if I can't get complete & perfect rhymes. I'd prefer to have even line-lengths too but can't always.)

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it's scary that A.I. can write rhyming poetry that makes sense now as well as having a conversation with you. I don't think the rhyming poetry it writes isn't that bad though it doesn't always stick to complete & perfect rhymes. (Most of the time I do & I'm very nasty to myself if I can't get complete & perfect rhymes. I'd prefer to have even line-lengths too but can't always.)

It's tapping into neural networks and machine learning - kind of like learning from a collective human consciousness in the digital realm. Remember the Google Engineer who got sacked for saying they had created sentient beings?

I believe it's gone far beyond that. The WEF are talking about measuring and storing human thoughts and behavior based on frequency patterns. If they are talking about it, then rest assured that's it's already been done in military circles.

However, Natural Intelligence is a far more interesting discipline than Artificial Intelligence. I don't believe 97% of DNA is junk - it's untapped potential. Likewise, the old theory that we only use 10-15% of our brain processing power. There are numerous instances of people who have suffered trauma, i.e. come out of a coma being a complete genius in a subject area with no real prior knowledge of it.

Every creation has a source code... and a creator.

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
It's tapping into neural networks and machine learning - kind of like learning from a collective human consciousness in the digital realm. Remember the Google Engineer who got sacked for saying they had created sentient beings?

I believe it's gone far beyond that. The WEF are talking about measuring and storing human thoughts and behavior based on frequency patterns. If they are talking about it, then rest assured that's it's already been done in military circles.

However, Natural Intelligence is a far more interesting discipline than Artificial Intelligence. I don't believe 97% of DNA is junk - it's untapped potential. Likewise, the old theory that we only use 10-15% of our brain processing power. There are numerous instances of people who have suffered trauma, i.e. come out of a coma being a complete genius in a subject area with no real prior knowledge of it.

Every creation has a source code... and a creator.
Gosh! That's scary.

I don't remember that because I don't always keep on top of the news to prevent myself from getting depressed as a lot of news is bad or sad. That's why I created poems to cushion the blows.

I agree with your 3rd paragraph & know the last sentence of it is true.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C World Affairs 0