'24 Monte-Carlo Masters, MC Country Club

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play has been cancelled for the day in Monte Carlo.
Rune - Nagal
Dimitrov - Kecmanovic will restart tomorrow along with R16 matches

• Sad
Reactions: shawnbm

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will post the Round 16 matches, Thursday 11th April, ( waiting on the completion of 2 matches that were suspended due to rain, Rune v Nagal and Dimitrov v Kecmanovic)

Djokovic v Musetti
De Minaur v Popyrin
Humbert v Sonego
Ruud v Hurkacz
Zverev v Tsitsipas
Medvedev vs Khachanova
Struff v Sinner
H. Rune or S.Nagal vs G.Dimitrov or M.Kecmanovic

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While we are in a rain delay, I was impressed with the level shown from Jannik in his first round match, I thought Korda would have put up more of a fight, after his first round win.
He barely misses any ball, that's how it looks right now when I watch him. He is on another level. Poor Korda could not hang in the rallies, he just gave up at some point.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"Oh good, Alcaraz withdrew so I should have an easy 2nd round against the lucky loser, a guy who never ranked in the top 20."

~ Felix Auger-Aliassime, April 9, 2024
He looked good against Nardi. Thought he could make a few rounds here, but Sonego can be tricky. Still FAA should be beating those kind of players if he wants to rise in the rankings again.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He looked good against Nardi. Thought he could make a few rounds here, but Sonego can be tricky. Still FAA should be beating those kind of players if he wants to rise in the rankings again.
I have given up on FAA quite frankly, I know Sonego can be tricky he came through as a LL, still FAA should have defeated him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He barely misses any ball, that's how it looks right now when I watch him. He is on another level. Poor Korda could not hang in the rallies, he just gave up at some point.
I was really impressed with Jannik's return game, to me, clay is still a challenge for Jannik going forward in the clay season

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
H.Rune v S.Nagal match to be completed tomorrow not before 12 noon on Court Rainer 111 court
M.Kecmanovic v G.Dimitrov match to be completed not before 12 noon on Court de Princes court
Then after suitable rest,
H.Rune or S.Nagal vs G.Dimitrov or M.Kecmanovic

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have given up on FAA quite frankly, I know Sonego can be tricky he came through as a LL, still FAA should have defeated him.
I've only given up on him in terms of being a very top player. To me he's closer to a Gasquet or Dimitrov, or maybe Tsonga/Berdych, and I think still has a good chance of winning a Masters or two, with a lesser chance of sneak-attacking a Slam if his game becomes more consistent. He has the talent to be there with Zverev and Medvedev, but something is lacking from his mental game and/or consistency of play.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I've only given up on him in terms of being a very top player. To me he's closer to a Gasquet or Dimitrov, or maybe Tsonga/Berdych, and I think still has a good chance of winning a Masters or two, with a lesser chance of sneak-attacking a Slam if his game becomes more consistent. He has the talent to be there with Zverev and Medvedev, but something is lacking from his mental game and/or consistency of play.
Maybe I should have re-worded my thoughts regarding FAA, I like you cant see him of being a very top player, his mental game is lacking which is needed for a top player, also his consistency, actually I thought he could improve in 2024, in those area's, sad to say at present he has not improved

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe I should have re-worded my thoughts regarding FAA, I like you cant see him of being a very top player, his mental game is lacking which is needed for a top player, also his consistency, actually I thought he could improve in 2024, in those area's, sad to say at present he has not improved
Looking at his record, it seemed he was breaking through in late 2021, into 2022. He reached the 2021 US Open SF, losing to eventual winner Medvedev. He reached his third QF in a row at the 2022 AO, losing to Medvedev again, but this time in five hard-fought sets. He won Rotterdam, his first title, following up with three more that year, including Basel where he beat a surging Alcaraz and Rune. He lost in the 4R at Roland Garros, but to Rafa. He lost in the 1R of Wimbledon, but to a hard-serving Cressy, including two lost tie-breakers (hey, it happens). His only really disappointing loss at a Slam that year was to Jack Draper in the 2R of the US Open.

So at the end of 2022, he looked poised to take it to the next level. He was at breakout age--22 years old--and coming off a "half-breakthrough" season that a lot of elite players often have before their full breakthrough. But last year was a huge disappointment - a loss in the 4R of the AO to Jiri Lehecka, and three 1R losses at the other Slams, to an ancient Fognini, a LL in Mmoh, and a former almost-prospect in McDonald. His only title was a repeat at Basel.

FAA went from finishing 2022 at #6 to 2023 at #29. In other words, he looked like he was breaking into a regular top 5 guy and now has fallen back out of the top 20. Really a kind of weird decline, especially at an age when he should be starting to peak.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just heard Carlos' out! Not surprising really! I keep telling you guys, these players are very good, but the speed of the game w/ a need to pound every single shot will take its toll! I wouldn't even try to play the game as it is now! Most don't understand, even if a player has "deft touch," that takes a toll on the arm as well! You're taking the heat out of a ball & w/ control needed & strength to accomplish it, we're going to see a lot more of this! Back in the day it was about "tennis elbow" due to inferior equipment & bad technique! W/ old wood rackets, it took years to become proficient in the game! W/ new rackets, players can be tournament worthy w/i months! Alcaraz is a great player, but his head has gotten inflated w/ the adulation he gets for fantastic shot-making! He needs to really pull back sometime; let it go and say "good shot!" Today's players will never have the longevity of the Big 3 as the competition is tough out there! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :angry-face: :yawningface:
Spot on! It's like he feels obligated to make every shot a highlight reel. Not gonna bode well long term. As you said above, better to let some balls go past as a winner instead of chasing them down and getting injured. He has a ton of injuries already at a young age.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He's had his best results on indoor so maybe he might sneak a Paris masters or at a big stretch a WTF if the top guys have a brain fart. He has a good serve to make him potentially good on grass but as you said, something is clearly missing.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
H.Rune v S.Nagal match to be completed tomorrow not before 12 noon on Court Rainer 111 court
M.Kecmanovic v G.Dimitrov match to be completed not before 12 noon on Court de Princes court
Then after suitable rest,
H.Rune or S.Nagal vs G.Dimitrov or M.Kecmanovic
Really odd - according to the schedule Sonego and Humbert's match is being played AFTER the match between Rune/Nagal and Kecmanovic/Dimitrov - but why? Why not let them rest as long as possible?
I will never understand these schedules... and why don't they start the days schedule with both delayed matches instead ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Renaissance incoming for Tsitsipas? Yeah, right.

Tsitsipas is off to the worst start. of his career. Here is how I have him doing in the 1st and 2nd half of the season, using between RG and Wimb as the mid-point.

Tsitsipas first/second half PEP

2024 (so far): 0
2023: 8/2
2022: 11/6
2021: 15/2
2020 (before/after USO): 0/2
2019: 9/7
2018: 1/3

Overall: 44/22

So clearly he's much better in the 1st half, which makes 2024 even more worrisome. But you can also see the trend line - his best first half in 2021, a bit worse in 2022, worse in 2023, and now (unless he wins a couple Masters and/or RG).

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Musetti provided a good test for Djokovic today. He was able to break him and put pressure on the Serb. Novak stepped up each time. It was good to see.
Novak was up for a fight today and it paid off.