'24 Monte-Carlo Masters, MC Country Club

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've made the comparison of Ruud to Ferrer before - not his game, but his place and role on the tour, and how good he is relative to everyone else. Like Ferrer, I don't know that we can expect a lot more from him. There are too many players with more talent and/or weapons. Ruud should be able to sneak in a Masters or two, with opportunity and a particularly strong showing, but I don't necessarily see another level for him. He's a really good player, just not a great one.

We can contrast Ruud (and I would add de Minaur as somewhat similar) with guys like Hurkacz and Khachanov, both of whom have won big titles. Ruud has a more consistent level of play - in terms of his baseline - but doesn't have the weapons to blow people away. So Ruud might end up with more titles than either, but fewer big titles. Right now:

Ruud: 10 titles, 0 500, 0 big
Hurkacz: 8 titles, 1 500, 2 Masters
Khachanov: 6 titles, 1 Masters
De Minaur: 8 titles, 2 500

Ruud is too good, though, not win some 500s and probably a Masters or two. And players of his caliber or even lesser have snuck in Slams (e.g. Gaudio, Costa, etc), but always at opportune times. I think the emergence of Sinner and Alcaraz has put a damper on another window like the late 90s to early 00s.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing that Tsitsipas has won his 3rd title at Monte Carlo, here is some wise words Stef has put on social media:)

" Watching tennis players argue with the umpire is like watching me try to convince my GPS I know a shortcut".

• Haha
Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's one of your favorites because he's such a nice guy? Just asking, because basically that's why I like him. And I agree with you that he's overachieved his talents.
Lies, all lies! The mendacity in the air is as thick as smog.

Fact: Casper “the thug” Ruud is controlled by the infamous Norweigan Mafia. His sportsmanship awards? All bought with North Sea blood oil money.

He bullies younger players away from the fawning media/press & blackmails other players to sing his praises. Not one to spread rumors but 3 guesses as to who in the locker room is known as the Norweigan Prince of Darkness.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsitsipas will return to the Top Ten with his 3rd Monte Carlo Masters title ranking No 7
Ruud is No 6 when the new rankings come out on Monday 15th April
Note: 2 players in the Top 10 with one handed bhands, Tsitsipas and Dimitrov.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Lies, all lies! The mendacity in the air is as thick as smog.

Fact: Casper “the thug” Ruud is controlled by the infamous Norweigan Mafia. His sportsmanship awards? All bought with North Sea blood oil money.

He bullies younger players away from the fawning media/press & blackmails other players to sing his praises. Not one to spread rumors but 3 guesses as to who in the locker room is known as the Norweigan Prince of Darkness???

I'll take your word for it! I've had to of thought there was something sinister behind that angelic smile! It's hard to "not take advantage" of karisma! When that attractive, people "do for you" on a quantum scale! It's what Fedal fans like to heap on Novak, that he's phony even thought obviously quite personable getting kudos for it of late! You really don't know people; esp. if they stay undercover! Until that McEnroe v Borg movie I still haven't seen, I had no idea how bad it was behind the scenes w/ Bjorn! I never got past the possibility that old lady he married had to of manipulated & turned his life upside down! I read somewhere the moment he saw her at a party he was lost! It was a lot more going on unfortunately! I don't need to know even though most are starving for the least little tidbit on others; esp. if they're celebrities! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage:

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Do you think getting a 'new coach' other than his father, can improve things in his game, like getting that bhand to be more consistent for starters?
His father (I think) is a pretty good coach. Sure someone could help him with his backhand. But Ruud lacks the requisite athleticism to be able to win at the highest levels. He’s played in two Slam finals but has never won a 500 or 1000 level ATP event.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
His father (I think) is a pretty good coach. Sure someone could help him with his backhand. But Ruud lacks the requisite athleticism to be able to win at the highest levels. He’s played in two Slam finals but has never won a 500 or 1000 level ATP event.
Not to nitpick, but three - two in 2022, one last year. Only player in the Open Era to appear in three Slam finals and not win one. He's got time, obviously, but...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not to nitpick, but three - two in 2022, one last year. Only player in the Open Era to appear in three Slam finals and not win one. He's got time, obviously, but...
That’s not nitpicking. That’s correcting an error. In any event, I still don’t see him punching through into the top level.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I've made the comparison of Ruud to Ferrer before - not his game, but his place and role on the tour, and how good he is relative to everyone else. Like Ferrer, I don't know that we can expect a lot more from him. There are too many players with more talent and/or weapons. Ruud should be able to sneak in a Masters or two, with opportunity and a particularly strong showing, but I don't necessarily see another level for him. He's a really good player, just not a great one.

We can contrast Ruud (and I would add de Minaur as somewhat similar) with guys like Hurkacz and Khachanov, both of whom have won big titles. Ruud has a more consistent level of play - in terms of his baseline - but doesn't have the weapons to blow people away. So Ruud might end up with more titles than either, but fewer big titles. Right now:

Ruud: 10 titles, 0 500, 0 big
Hurkacz: 8 titles, 1 500, 2 Masters
Khachanov: 6 titles, 1 Masters
De Minaur: 8 titles, 2 500

Ruud is too good, though, not win some 500s and probably a Masters or two. And players of his caliber or even lesser have snuck in Slams (e.g. Gaudio, Costa, etc), but always at opportune times. I think the emergence of Sinner and Alcaraz has put a damper on another window like the late 90s to early 00s.
You can add Johannson to this list.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
You said ‘a host of great players along the way’. Fogi, Djere, and Fokina are not great. Zverev has only ever beaten Tsi on the fake clay of Madrid.
I forgot he played Jannik in that 22 MC run as well.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So I see Casper ghosted all his fans in the final yesterday. He's allowed Tits to get mojo back just in time for clay season.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You can add Johannson to this list.
Yeah, I hear that, though I see Johansson being on a significantly lower level than Ferrer and even Ruud. He is one of the worst players to ever win a Slam, along with Gaudio, Edmondson, and Teacher. IMO. Not sure who a contemporary comp would be in terms of level...maybe Bautista Agut?

In other words, there are more Slamless players who were better than Johansson than there are Slam winners who are worse.