Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruud in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It was hard to resist, you be honest with you, and I still haven't waded into emails yet because I've become hyper superstitious (the Aus Open final page where I followed the score while the feed was a bit late is still on my phone and will stay there until Rafa retires now), but I was tempted to look for consoling voices when Novak made his charge to take the second set. What's so great about Novak is, he's never out of it. How many matches has he won in slams against Roger, from match point down? 3? And when Rafa went 6-1 up in the tiebreak I was feeling smug, with terror nicely placed alongside. When it became 6-4. my heart was beating like this:

Can never write him off. If the netchord shot falls back into Rafa's half, Novak is grinning like a young de Niro and I'm spaced out on the floor hearing sirens...

Kieran, I was really concerned with the heavy conditions of the close roof vs Sascha. Rafa play was really below the level that he played vs Novak on Tuesday. When Rafa was down 2-6 in the TBR after blowing his comeback 2-5 and all those BPs he wasted. I NEVER in my life gave up on Rafa's chances in a set but the look on his face when he said the ball was too heavy and big. I thought it was zero chance but Rafa prevailed. What a passing shot he made to bring the TBR to 6-6. Remarkable.

Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
"The idea is not to be the best in history and to win all the victories.It's because I love playing tennis and I love competition"

Rafa Nadal.

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran, I was really concerned with the heavy conditions of the close roof vs Sascha. Rafa play was really below the level that he played vs Novak on Tuesday. When Rafa was down 2-6 in the TBR after blowing his comeback 2-5 and all those BPs he wasted. I NEVER in my life gave up on Rafa's chances in a set but the look on his face when he said the ball was too heavy and big. I thought it was zero chance but Rafa prevailed. What a passing shot he made to bring the TBR to 6-6. Remarkable.
It was phenomenal, wasn't it? They'd played such a long first set too, that it felt like it's too much to expect him to play another hugely long match and still be fit for Sunday. But even at 2-6 in the tiebreak I knew he'd win that tiebreak. How can I prove this? Simple. I asked the missus if she'd be so kind as to remove herself to another room, "you've become a jinx, " I told her, "nothing personal, but GTFO here until the second set, please, and pronto. Thanks."

:popcorn

The shots he hit to get back into the tiebreak, the passing shot at 4-6 in particular, were out of this world. It wasn't like Sascha coughed it up, either, he was doing the right things. Terrible sad ending to that match. Really horrible and shocking. I think Rafa would have won, but he'd have been exhausted. I've revised my estimation of his chances in the final though - Ruud was too ordinary a player to have beaten him, even if Rafa was playing at 50%...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It was phenomenal, wasn't it? They'd played such a long first set too, that it felt like it's too much to expect him to play another hugely long match and still be fit for Sunday. But even at 2-6 in the tiebreak I knew he'd win that tiebreak. How can I prove this? Simple. I asked the missus if she'd be so kind as to remove herself to another room, "you've become a jinx, " I told her, "nothing personal, but GTFO here until the second set, please, and pronto. Thanks."

:popcorn

The shots he hit to get back into the tiebreak, the passing shot at 4-6 in particular, were out of this world. It wasn't like Sascha coughed it up, either, he was doing the right things. Terrible sad ending to that match. Really horrible and shocking. I think Rafa would have won, but he'd have been exhausted. I've revised my estimation of his chances in the final though - Ruud was too ordinary a player to have beaten him, even if Rafa was playing at 50%...
Really you felt he would win that Tbr..you had better mental stamina than me.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran.
Your thoughts on the q/final match between Rafa and Novak, AP and I have different thoughts on Rafa's level in this game I dont think Rafa brought his A game, in saying that I did not think Novak wasnt playing his best.The match had a lot of ebbs and flows, I thought Rafa might have won it in straight sets, especially when he was up in the 2nd set, though Novak came back and won it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran.
Your thoughts on the q/final match between Rafa and Novak, AP and I have different thoughts on Rafa's level in this game I dont think Rafa brought his A game, in saying that I did not think Novak wasnt playing his best.The match had a lot of ebbs and flows, I thought Rafa might have won it in straight sets, especially when he was up in the 2nd set, though Novak came back and won it.
I agree largely with this. Combo of Rafa getting tense and Novak kicking in - in the second - stopped Rafa’s trot to an easier win, but I think he certainly played his A game in the first and third, and parts of the second and fourth. On the big points mainly, Rafa was alpha, and it was hugely impressive to watch…

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree largely with this. Combo of Rafa getting tense and Novak kicking in - in the second - stopped Rafa’s trot to an easier win, but I think he certainly played his A game in the first and third, and parts of the second and fourth. On the big points mainly, Rafa was alpha, and it was hugely impressive to watch…
Agree big points Rafa was impressive, AP will be happy with your grading of A, I gave Rafa a B+ lol!....I will now never hear the end from him.....telling me I told you so:)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree big points Rafa was impressive, AP will be happy with your grading of A, I gave Rafa a B+ lol!....I will now never hear the end this from him.....telling me I told you so:)
It’s kinda very rare and difficult to hammer Novak, even with Rafa’s A game - and vice versa. To smoke him like Rafa did in 2020 - and like Novak has done to Rafa - includes their opponent playing off their games by a wide enough margin. Novak was caught by the intensity of Rafa’s attack in this match, but still showed guts in the second and fourth sets. Just Rafa found his higher gears when he needed, and to be fair, nobody can live with that in Roland Garros…

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s kinda very rare and difficult to hammer Novak, even with Rafa’s A game - and vice versa. To smoke him like Rafa did in 2020 - and like Novak has done to Rafa - includes their opponent playing off their games by a wide enough margin. Novak was caught by the intensity of Rafa’s attack in this match, but still showed guts in the second and fourth sets. Just Rafa found his higher gears when he needed, and to be fair, nobody can live with that in Roland Garros…
I think Rafa knew he had to come out aggressive in this match up, shades of the 2020 RG final in ways.How many times over the years have we witnessed at RG,Rafa finds higher gears when needed, this is his backyard.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I said before the tournament that it’s the other players who needed to worry where Rafa fell on the draw, not the other way around. Despite having the draw from hell, he persevered.

We always seem to lose sight that draws are a placeholder but the way a tourney evolves is an unpredictable work in progress.

Take Felix, place him outside of Rafa’s qtr in the 4th round and I could easily seem him making the SF’s or even the Finals. OTOH, taking him out early, Rafa ( like with Novak) didn’t have to face such a quality opponent in the Finals.

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Brotha.. @kskate2 has beaten me up so much that Miss Margaret looks pass my brilliance in the Draw Challenge. During AO 2022 #3 or 4 in the entire ATP draw challenge community and my recent RG title run reclaiming #1 over Sis Moxie. They just don't appreciate me at times here. I am gonna eventually take my talents to South America and find myself an all Latin tennis board.

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Brotha.. @kskate2 has beaten me up so much that Miss Margaret looks pass my brilliance in the Draw Challenge. During AO 2022 #3 or 4 in the entire ATP draw challenge community and my recent RG title run reclaiming #1 over Sis Moxie. They just don't appreciate me at times here. I am gonna eventually take my talents to South America and find myself an all Latin tennis board.
And so it begins:)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Waahh! You need some Pecorino Romano with that whine...

And when you're done w/ that come see me for round 2 :boxing:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have not checked in for a bit, but congratulations to the great Spanish Bull and his legions of fans around the world! He is a monumental champion--I have never seen anyone like him on clay or in terms of pure tenacity and will to fight. Just other worldly; I truly don't know from where he summons this incredible ability to perservere and outsmart and outhit his opponents. He is the greatest of champions!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I have not checked in for a bit, but congratulations to the great Spanish Bull and his legions of fans around the world! He is a monumental champion--I have never seen anyone like him on clay or in terms of pure tenacity and will to fight. Just other worldly; I truly don't know from where he summons this incredible ability to perservere and outsmart and outhit his opponents. He is the greatest of champions!
Great to see you, Shawn!