2022 Australian Open Men’s Quarterfinal: Daniil Medvedev vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime

Who wins?

• Medvedev in 3

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Medvedev in 4

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Medvedev in 5

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Auger-Aliassime in 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auger-Aliassime in 4

• Auger-Aliassime in 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Who wins?

Head-to-head is 3-0, Medvedev:
BFAE31C5-248C-48CE-888C-73DEB558F806.jpeg

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am picking Medvedev but I am more curious on how FAA handle the situation and match mentally. Like I said before, he has all the physical tools and skills to be a future multi-slam winner, it just matter of being mentally prepared for the moment. I was impressed the way he responded against Cilic after losing the 1st set 6-2. Let's hope FAA can make Medvedev work for the win.

By the way, this is FAA's third consecutive Slam QF appearance, he is steadily showing up at Slams which is a GREAT sign for him and Tennis.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am picking Medvedev but I am more curious on how FAA handle the situation and match mentally. Like I said before, he has all the physical tools and skills to be a future multi-slam winner, it just matter of being mentally prepared for the moment. I was impressed the way he responded against Cilic after losing the 1st set 6-2. Let's hope FAA can make Medvedev work for the win.

By the way, this is FAA's third consecutive Slam QF appearance, he is steadily showing up at Slams which is a GREAT sign for him and Tennis.
I heard he's the youngest player to make QF in 3 Majors (?) since JMDP.

I agree with your above. He played so well v. Cilic, once he settled down. He needs to start at his Set 2 level and not drop it. Serve big, frustrate Medvedev, if he can. I gave him a set. Would love him to take it 5, but I don't see him winning. Not yet. However, I'm curious if he'll have the crowd, given Medvedev's cranky behavior/bordering on unsportsmanlike last round. I wonder if that could feature? Felix is such a nice boy.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some small incentive for FAA if he wins this match: He will overtake Ruud in the rankings and will reach a career high of 8th in the world on January 31st. Not a bad small incentive, if you ask me.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard he's the youngest player to make QF in 3 Majors (?) since JMDP.

I agree with your above. He played so well v. Cilic, once he settled down. He needs to start at his Set 2 level and not drop it. Serve big, frustrate Medvedev, if he can. I gave him a set. Would love him to take it 5, but I don't see him winning. Not yet. However, I'm curious if he'll have the crowd, given Medvedev's cranky behavior/bordering on unsportsmanlike last round. I wonder if that could feature? Felix is such a nice boy.
I never thought about it but they are truly the ying and yang of tennis. The choir boy and the street thug. The fiery Russian versus the friendly Canuck.

Listen, I give FAA a good chance simply because he has such a solid game. The creativity and silky touch is there, it just needs the confident spark; one important pivotal match for the caterpillar to blossom into a butterfly.

Felix your time is NOW.

Fly Canadian Butterfly, Fly !

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never thought about it but they are truly the ying and yang of tennis. The choir boy and the street thug. The fiery Russian versus the friendly Canuck.

Listen, I give FAA a good chance simply because he has such a solid game. The creativity and silky touch is there, it just needs the confident spark; one important pivotal match for the caterpillar to blossom into a butterfly.

Felix your time is NOW.

Fly Canadian Butterfly, Fly !
I really didn't think about that yin and yang, either. Well said.

I wonder if @El Dude is going to show up to cheer on the guy he has championed so long. I get that a lot have decided to pass on this Major, particularly Fed and Djokovic fans.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Medevdev will bring a 'reality check' not only to FAA but people on this board thinking FAA will win.
I am still out on FAA,yes he is talented no question there,though to me there is the mental side of his game,like the No 3 player in the world, remember Zverev I think we all do.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really didn't think about that yin and yang, either. Well said.

I wonder if @El Dude is going to show up to cheer on the guy he has championed so long. I get that a lot have decided to pass on this Major, particularly Fed and Djokovic fans.
The bottom half of the draw is probably a preview of what slams will look like post-Big 3. I just hope the young guys will be healthy and fulfill their potentials because it will be fun even after the Big-3 are gone.

It turned out well because it is the battle of mid 20 year olds (Medvedev and Tsitsipas) vs. the young 20 year olds (FAA and Sinner).

Then, on the top half, it will be the young players (Berrettini and Shapovalov) vs the "old" players (Monfils and Nadal).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The bottom half of the draw is probably a preview of what slams will look like post-Big 3. I just hope the young guys will be healthy and fulfill their potentials because it will be fun even after the Big-3 are gone.

It turned out well because it is the battle of mid 20 year olds (Medvedev and Tsitsipas) vs. the young 20 year olds (FAA and Sinner).

Then, on the top half, it will be the young players (Berrettini and Shapovalov) vs the "old" players (Monfils and Nadal).
I have to think about that. Meanwhile, I have to focus on Rafa. ;)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Medevdev will bring a 'reality check' not only to FAA but people on this board thinking FAA will win.
I am still out on FAA,yes he is talented no question there,though to me there is the mental side of his game,like the No 3 player in the world, remember Zverev I think we all do.
I can see you on why you are "skeptical" on FAA. He still has not lived up to his potential during his junior years. I am somewhat "disappointed" with FAA too, but I tinkered my expectations from him, so my expectations are not too high anymore.

I will say this though: I do not think you can compare Zverev's mental capacity with FAA's mental capacity at least right now. Zverev has won multiple big titles outside of Slams. While FAA is still looking for his 1st career title. Another thing too is that Zverev is somewhat arrogant off the court and he thinks he is one of the new Big 3 even though he has not won a single slam. Like Moxie said, FAA is nice person and very professional on and off the court!

Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

OK, now I see your point, (with a vaguely clearer head, though that is relative at this point in the AO.) The bottom half better reflects the future. The top half is unbalanced because Novak went out after the draw was made, and because Rafa is still in it, and so was Monfils.

The young guys fulfilling their potentials is the big IF. As it always is. Medvedev looks to be on trend for some level of greatness. But I am selling Zverev, big time. To the point of this match, Felix is still young, and Medvedev is on the cusp of getting the #1 ranking. But if Felix has a view to the future, he can't just roll over in the match, either. He's just made a jump here. He has, to date, NO ATP titles. He won't win this match, but he can't afford not to make a strong showing.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Felix is playing well. Many long rallies. This will be a contest of fitness as much as anything else. Shapo should learn from his countryman how to keep the ball on court rather than spraying everywhere.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Felix is playing well. Many long rallies. This will be a contest of fitness as much as anything else. Shapo should learn from his countryman how to keep the ball on court rather than spraying everywhere.
Felix is more mature than Shapo who hit an umpire with a ball.He has behavioral problems for sure.These Russians like to complain a lot from Zverev Shapo and Medvedev.Felix win or lose has come of age he beat Zverev now it's Medvedev turn.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just got up to Felix up 2 sets and playing great tennis!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Now in the 4th set and FAA serves first. Big hold after some contentious rallies. Let's see if Felix can close the door on Med. He's got 2 sets to do it. I'm going back to slumber.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Huge victory for Daniil. Judging from the result it was extremely hard. From the mental side this should give him a big boost in confidence, but on another side he needs rest right now, pronto. Hopefully he can recover well for another tough match and beat the fanless greek.

Reactions: 10isfan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Huge victory for Daniil. Judging from the result it was extremely hard. From the mental side this should give him a big boost in confidence, but on another side he needs rest right now, pronto. Hopefully he can recover well for another tough match and beat the fanless greek.
I think this is exactly the victory he needed, without knowing it. He's 25 and he has 2 days off to recover. But now he knows that he can get in a deep hole and get out of it, and he knows he can go 5 and still be fresh. To me, it should be like an afterburners boost of confidence. Which frightens me, since my guy is still in and I have to hope they meet.