2020 Australian Open Final: Sofia Kenin vs. Garbine Muguruza

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
look at that !

Gabrine hit more winners but also double unforced errors. Break points converted was telling also. Match was won by young american's fearless attitude especially in that fifth game of final set. I Salute her ! Great finale.
Just as she did against Ash and Coco. She played the big points better. Salute to this kind of maturity at this young age

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder if Safina will stay on in Kenin's camp or was it just for the AO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sofia is talking to our channel 9 team with her trophy she is very grounded and mature for her age.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
congrats to Sofia even if I rooted for Garbine, Sofia was the better player today

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had to leave the match partway through, although there was a sense Kenin was taking over at the time. She redirects pace and direction well and was dominating court position. Garbine was on her wheels. It takes the legs away like a body puncher in boxing. Garbine's first serve also went missing. I read later about the double faults to lose the match, but Garbine served a bunch earlier too.

Not the result I wanted but fair play to the girl, she never backed off, was pretty aggressive and walks off with the AO title. Good to see Garbine back in the mix though. Overdue.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No interest in women's tennis these days to be honest so I didn't watch this but glad Kenin won. Not a fan of smug Mug.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kenin hung tough and her earlier matches obviously gave her the confidence during the pressure moments. From 0-40 on her serve at 2-all that’s a game she can remember the rest of her career.

Gabine basically imploded.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Muguruza runner up at the AO will return to the Top 20 for the first time since last May,World No16 when the new rankings came out on Monday.

Kenin will rise to No7,displacing Petra Kvitova from the Top 10.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hey four of the last 5 australian women's winners has been decided in three setters and apart from naomi last year, they're also first time winners !

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
good write up here over on yahoo.
Sofia Kenin takes down Serena Williams after Australian Open triumph -

Sofia Kenin is set to overtake Serena Williams as America’s top-ranked player after her stunning triumph at the Australian Open.

The Russia-born American claimed her first grand slam title on Saturday, fighting back to beat Garbine Muguruza 4-6 6-2 6-2 in the final at Melbourne Park.

The 21-year-old will now leapfrog 23-time major champion Williams to reach No.7 in the WTA rankings, becoming the top-ranked American player.
Somewhat fittingly, Kenin’s Australian Open triumph made her the youngest American to win a major since Serena in 2002 at the US Open.
Kenin will now join her role model on the USA team for an upcoming Fed Cup qualifier, but she was also keen to highlight her Russian roots and the "feisty" approach she learned from Maria Sharapova, a five-time grand slam winner.
"I definitely think [my Russian heritage] helped me," Kenin told a news conference on Saturday night.
"I've looked up to Maria Sharapova, Anna Kournikova. I followed their matches when I was little.
"I feel like I got the feisty [approach]. I saw what it's like. She won a grand slam at 17, Maria, which I remember watching on TV. Yeah, I feel like that definitely helped me.
"I have part of Russian stuff inside me, the fight that I have, trying just to be confident, do what I do best.”
Kenin was over the moon to learn she’s now America’s No.1 player.
"Thank you to my parents for giving me the American dream,” she said.
“[Being the American No.1] is exciting. I'm so happy. I was told if I would win, I'd be No.7 [in the world].
"It's such an honour. I love representing the US. I just love it.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so far only this 6 minute official vid is available, excluding the ones that are from russian broadcast and very poorly edited. Hopefuly someone out there will post THE FULL FINALE soon -

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
good write up here over on yahoo.
Sofia Kenin takes down Serena Williams after Australian Open triumph -

Sofia Kenin is set to overtake Serena Williams as America’s top-ranked player after her stunning triumph at the Australian Open.

The Russia-born American claimed her first grand slam title on Saturday, fighting back to beat Garbine Muguruza 4-6 6-2 6-2 in the final at Melbourne Park.

The 21-year-old will now leapfrog 23-time major champion Williams to reach No.7 in the WTA rankings, becoming the top-ranked American player.
Somewhat fittingly, Kenin’s Australian Open triumph made her the youngest American to win a major since Serena in 2002 at the US Open.
Kenin will now join her role model on the USA team for an upcoming Fed Cup qualifier, but she was also keen to highlight her Russian roots and the "feisty" approach she learned from Maria Sharapova, a five-time grand slam winner.
"I definitely think [my Russian heritage] helped me," Kenin told a news conference on Saturday night.
"I've looked up to Maria Sharapova, Anna Kournikova. I followed their matches when I was little.
"I feel like I got the feisty [approach]. I saw what it's like. She won a grand slam at 17, Maria, which I remember watching on TV. Yeah, I feel like that definitely helped me.
"I have part of Russian stuff inside me, the fight that I have, trying just to be confident, do what I do best.”
Kenin was over the moon to learn she’s now America’s No.1 player.
"Thank you to my parents for giving me the American dream,” she said.
“[Being the American No.1] is exciting. I'm so happy. I was told if I would win, I'd be No.7 [in the world].
"It's such an honour. I love representing the US. I just love it.
anything to put down 23GS champion...wait until she test positive for meldonium

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Forgot to post these pics of the champ:
1581219419146.png

GettyImages-1203365145.jpg

images

images

images

images

images