2020 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

It is official: Roger Federer will skip the 2021 Australian Open. However, he will play either Dubai or Rotterdam for his comeback tournament

Well that will stop the 'conspiracy theorists' on this website'.......thinking AO was moved to February 8th for Federer.
Good sensible decision from Federer and his team.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He won’t play but maybe he will still show up to present Nadal with the record-breaking 21st slam trophy? :trophy::good:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well that will stop the 'conspiracy theorists' on this website'.......thinking AO was moved to February 8th for Federer.
Good sensible decision from Federer and his team.
I always said that was ridiculous, given that he was iffy. It will be interesting to see how he comes back, with the knee. If it's not going great, and given this is an Olympic year, could this be his last?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I always said that was ridiculous, given that he was iffy. It will be interesting to see how he comes back, with the knee. If it's not going great, and given this is an Olympic year, could this be his last?
Agree, sad to say I will be very surprised if Federer plays the AO in 2022,I am lucky to say I have seen Federer many times at the AO and have grabbed his autograph before being crushed lol:).I even think the Olympics are going to be iffy in Japan,read that they are having high numbers of COVID,unless there is a vaccine or low cases in Japan it could be cancelled again.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree, sad to say I will be very surprised if Federer plays the AO in 2022,I am lucky to say I have seen Federer many times at the AO and have grabbed his autograph before being crushed lol:).I even think the Olympics are going to be iffy in Japan,read that they are having high numbers of COVID,unless there is a vaccine or low cases in Japan it could be cancelled again.
I saw him a few times at the USO, very memorably v. Santoro in 2005. Such an entertaining match. Not to start eulogizing him now. It will be bad if they have to cancel the Olympics again.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It will be interesting to see if Federer will play some Clay tournaments in 2021. The reason I say that because after Miami Open, he can’t play Grass court tennis until June. While he can rest his knee during the Clay season, he definitely needs some type of matches going into Grass “season” or else he will get “rusty” again.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It will be interesting to see if Federer will play some Clay tournaments in 2021. The reason I say that because after Miami Open, he can’t play Grass court tennis until June. While he can rest his knee during the Clay season, he definitely needs some type of matches going into Grass “season” or else he will get “rusty” again.
There is always the Stuggart Cup in Germany,on grass,Federer could play as a warm up.( provided the tournament does not have to cancel again due to COVID in 2020).

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a good question. I see Margaret mentioned Stuttgart, but if he skips the whole clay season, it puts him in a weird place in terms of match play. Interesting thought. I wonder what he'll decide about the clay season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is always the Stuggart Cup in Germany,on grass,Federer could play as a warm up.( provided the tournament does not have to cancel again due to COVID in 2020).
Actually, I was thinking about this as the caveat to the post AO part of the calendar. IW is already postponed/cancelled. Miami is unsure, I think. You've told us that the Olympics are even iffy. So who knows what the calendar will look like for at least the first half of 2021. With vaccines, etc., I think we're all hoping for a certain amount of normalization by late summer or early fall, but all we have for now, really for a tennis calendar for next year is January into Feb. and then we'll just have to see what happens. Probably up until the USO swing...best case. At this point, we're just pretending that the clay season gets played during the "clay season." At least they have a better handle on playing big time tennis during this pandemic, but it's still a wait-and-see.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, I was thinking about this as the caveat to the post AO part of the calendar. IW is already postponed/cancelled. Miami is unsure, I think. You've told us that the Olympics are even iffy. So who knows what the calendar will look like for at least the first half of 2021. With vaccines, etc., I think we're all hoping for a certain amount of normalization by late summer or early fall, but all we have for now, really for a tennis calendar for next year is January into Feb. and then we'll just have to see what happens. Probably up until the USO swing...best case. At this point, we're just pretending that the clay season gets played during the "clay season." At least they have a better handle on playing big time tennis during this pandemic, but it's still a wait-and-see.
Agree it will be a 'wait and see agenda' though I did read the French officials will move the date again if need be,gotta give it to the French they are a 'stubborn bunch'.

• Haha

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is it for Roger ..even if he comes back in February. As you know, that's a very telling sign ☢️ that he has had two procedures and still doesn't feel it's a percent. Very Sad. I hope I am wrong.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kei Nishikori won't play Delray Beach Open,he will kick off new season playing the ATP Cup in Melbourne.

Kamil Majchrzak replaces Lucas Pouille in the AO main draw.Pouille has decided to withdraw from Melbourne and play challengers in Quimper and Orleans (according to L'Equipe).

Stefanos Tsitsipas will play ATP Cup in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
This is it for Roger ..even if he comes back in February. As you know, that's a very telling sign ☢️ that he has had two procedures and still doesn't feel it's a percent. Very Sad. I hope I am wrong.

He can't play forever! I've watched past stars flame out quite early! Federer and Martina N. got all they could out of the tour and have records that will stand the test of time! This emotional BS of "Maunchausen" as if Fed is owed a spot on the tour after 20+ years needs to stop! It's time for him to move on if he's breaking down! No WC or PR should be permitted after that abreviated season that keeps him in the top 5! What a joke! :facepalm:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He can't play forever! I've watched past stars flame out quite early! Federer and Martina N. got all they could out of the tour and have records that will stand the test of time! This emotional BS of "Maunchausen" as if Fed is owed a spot on the tour after 20+ years needs to stop! It's time for him to move on if he's breaking down! No WC or PR should be permitted after that abreviated season that keeps him in the top 5! What a joke! :facepalm:

The same joke season that has helped tons of others players' rankings too, including *cough* Djokovic.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Would love if someone could provide a link to what the actual rankings would be without this covid adjustment. Searched there and couldn't find any so maybe we need someone to work it out for us. Suffice to say, Federer on 1 leg would be better than current Murray on 2 legs and Murray gets WCs so don't count on tournaments not giving Federer a WC in 2022 in he chooses to keep playing.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The same joke season that has helped tons of others players' rankings too, including *cough* Djokovic.

I'm only answering since your comment was so outrageous and STUPID! Novak played 3 Majors and won a couple Masters! Are you really that much of a hater that you can compare Djokovic's season to ANYONE? Pls make me put you back on ignore with others who make no fk'n sense! :facepalm:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm only answering since your comment was so outrageous and STUPID! Novak played 3 Majors and won a couple Masters! Are you really that much of a hater that you can compare Djokovic's season to ANYONE? Pls make me put you back on ignore with others who make no fk'n sense! :facepalm:

Novak kept all 2000 points from winning Wimbledon and that's just for a start. Ignore away.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer's ranking won't change that much after his withdrawal from the AO 2021.Adjustments made due to COVID means he hangs on to his ranking points from AO 2020.The points don't drop off till 2022.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Poor Fiero won't like that. He'd be just fine mind you if Djokovic lost in the first round of a slam he won the past year and kept all 2000 points instead of losing them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.