2020 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The 2020 AO will still be included not because it includes four slams, but because 2020 AO is still part of the best 24 month ranking. 2021 French Open will be different though because if Federer doesn’t play 2021 French Open then he will lose 720 points unless of course it gets cancelled.

By the way, the best 24 month ranking system will only be until the week of March 1st. By the week of March 8th, players can start losing points unless the tournament is cancelled like Indian Wells. So, Federer actually has to play Miami Open or else he will lose 1000 points from 2019!
Thanks for keeping all of this straight for us. Isn't it still going to be a bit of a jumble and a mess, since this year is going to be, at best, only a partial normal calendar? I guess not everyone will be happy in the end, but they'll just have to do the best they can.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Months after Sam Querrey fled Russia after testing positive for COVID-19,the ATP has given him a suspened fine of $20K,which will be lifted should he not breach any health and safety rules over the next six months.Taking into consideration Mr Querrery's many years of otherwise good standing with the ATP and other mitigating factors.The player has five days to appeal the decision,should he choose to do so.
Querrey's a good guy. I think it's ok to forgive one lapse in judgement, in these times. Though I think everyone around here would say the real lapse in judgement was taking his wife and infant to Russia during a pandemic, in the first place.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Querrey's a good guy. I think it's ok to forgive one lapse in judgement, in these times. Though I think everyone around here would say the real lapse in judgement was taking his wife and infant to Russia during a pandemic, in the first place.
Quite frankly I think he can count himself lucky,to me he got off lightly.People have to be made accountable and responsible in this pandemic,the onus is on themselves,one lapse in judgement can put other people's lives at risk.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quite frankly I think he can count himself lucky,to me he got off lightly.People have to be made accountable and responsible in this pandemic,the onus is on themselves,one lapse in judgement can put other people's lives at risk.
Everything about Querry's actions is beyond annoying.

This article encapsulates alot of it for me:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed, and it has been interesting to see the separating of the wheat from the chaff on who has taken it seriously, and who has been cavalier about it. I have to admit my favorite thing on the ATP side is seeing Nick Kyrgios coming off as the sage and the scold, in terms of the pandemic. Others have taken some PR hits for not being as mindful. That's why I say I'm curious to see how Nick emerges from this in his home country. He's had a nice long lay-off to be home with friends, which he likes. He's also had the chance to be the "good guy" in the equation, while smugly looking at others being the bad guys. I could be wrong, but I wonder if it was the reset the he's been needing.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed, and it has been interesting to see the separating of the wheat from the chaff on who has taken it seriously, and who has been cavalier about it. I have to admit my favorite thing on the ATP side is seeing Nick Kyrgios coming off as the sage and the scold, in terms of the pandemic. Others have taken some PR hits for not being as mindful. That's why I say I'm curious to see how Nick emerges from this in his home country. He's had a nice long lay-off to be home with friends, which he likes. He's also had the chance to be the "good guy" in the equation, while smugly looking at others being the bad guys. I could be wrong, but I wonder if it was the reset the he's been needing.
I am still out on Nick,he is a loose canyon as everyone is aware,lets see what happens in Australia,though in saying that he has done some great things off court,homeless people and kids,which goes un-noticed.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Everything about Querry's actions is beyond annoying.

This article encapsulates alot of it for me:

It's well-beyond annoying, it's unconscionable. At least he took a private plane. But Dimitrov did the same thing when he got sick in the Adria tour...he went back to Monte Carlo before getting tested. (And he flew on a plane, based on timeline.) And while Djokovic's father tried to call out Dimitrov as the "typhoid Mary" of the tour, all of the Djokovic's flew back to Belgrade before getting tested. And at least Novak and his wife tested positive. Then Thiem went onto France to play another exhibition, and Zverev, who had tested negative after the Adria Tour, but promised to quarantine, notoriously didn't. Tennis is a non-contact sport, (if you skip the handshake/cuddle at the net,) but it's an international sport. If players keep flying around the world and evade protocols, they risk not only tennis getting shut down again, but, more significantly, the health of others. If the ATP or ITF is going to sanction/fine or let off the hook Sam Querrey, there are others they could look at, too. Keeping in mind that all of these were during exhibitions.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's well-beyond annoying, it's unconscionable. At least he took a private plane. But Dimitrov did the same thing when he got sick in the Adria tour...he went back to Monte Carlo before getting tested. (And he flew on a plane, based on timeline.) And while Djokovic's father tried to call out Dimitrov as the "typhoid Mary" of the tour, all of the Djokovic's flew back to Belgrade before getting tested. And at least Novak and his wife tested positive. Then Thiem went onto France to play another exhibition, and Zverev, who had tested negative after the Adria Tour, but promised to quarantine, notoriously didn't. Tennis is a non-contact sport, (if you skip the handshake/cuddle at the net,) but it's an international sport. If players keep flying around the world and evade protocols, they risk not only tennis getting shut down again, but, more significantly, the health of others. If the ATP or ITF is going to sanction/fine or let off the hook Sam Querrey, there are others they could look at, too. Keeping in mind that all of these were during exhibitions.
To me that is a big difference, in that Sam's happened at an ATP sanctioned event. As bizarre as the whole Novak Covid Tour was, one could argue it was on players' private time away from the tour. Of course the healthy/safety risk is paramount in all cases, but in the Querry case, the consequences of any covid spread could involve legal liability to the ATP.

If Novak can be fined $ 20k for accidently hitting a linesperson at the USO, The ATP could have easily have fined Querry the $20K, make it stick and then donate the funds publicly to some charitable cause.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To me that is a big difference, in that Sam's happened at an ATP sanctioned event. As bizarre as the whole Novak Covid Tour was, one could argue it was on players' private time away from the tour. Of course the healthy/safety risk is paramount in all cases, but in the Querry case, the consequences of any covid spread could involve legal liability to the ATP.

If Novak can be fined $ 20k for accidently hitting a linesperson at the USO, The ATP could have easily have fined Querry the $20K, make it stick and then donate the funds publicly to some charitable cause.
You are right to distinguish what Sam did was at an ATP event, as opposed to exhibitions. Sure, fine him, and apply it to the players' fund to all of the players who got hurt significantly by not being able to play due to Covid. That would be a good benefit, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.