Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
You think Nadal is a douche because you want to. Other "douche-like" behavior only falls in the category of "politically correct nonsense," I guess. Hard to square that though.

Oh, and Nadal shouldn't be classed as someone to look up to?

Nadal was amazing that day for sure, but to the benefit of any other player on the Tennis tour I sure hope they would have done the exact same thing that he did with that little boy being squished that day.

Reactions: Moxie and Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really hope this will be a competitive match. Medvedev needs to find a sweet spot from the baseline. If he becomes too defensive, he has no chance. If he loses patience like in the 2nd set of their last meeting and rushes for winners, he has no chance. Huge serving is absolutely crucial for him to back his baseline game and gain confidence as the match goes.

Still low chances for him to win his first GS final against Nadal. Positive thing is that he didn't need to beat any of the Fed/Novak before this final, so mentally he should not be spent and phisically too, relatively easy SF and good amout of rest in last several days.
There is every reason to think he is mentally and physically spent, at this point. He's done a great job of getting past it, to this point, but I don't like his chances facing Nadal in the final. I expect him to serve well, and to make smart choices. But he likes the baseline too much. This is where he'll fall short v. Rafa.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I already did my fair share of wrong predictions lately, so I won't even try to make one. I will just say two things:

I wash checking the highlights of their Toronto match, boy that was slow. Comparing with what we are seeing here, it looks slow motion. And I found particularly noteworthy that Medvedev barely celebrated the semi-final win. You could say that that was a first round win of an ATP 250. He seems to be in for the big prize.
Montreal, not to put too fine a point on it. And Rafa did crush him there. Chances of the Medvedev resurgence...not so good, in best of 5.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal was amazing that day for sure, but to the benefit of any other player on the Tennis tour I sure hope they would have done the exact same thing that he did with that little boy being squished that day.
You'd like to think so. But just making the point to some of those who think he's evil incarnate. :)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Montreal, not to put too fine a point on it. And Rafa did crush him there. Chances of the Medvedev resurgence...not so good, in best of 5.

Also like I like to point out that while Medvedev probably learned something in their first encounter, Nadal also probably learned something about Medvedev and the match. Nadal knows this is a golden opportunity to win another slam especially outside of RG. He will not let this opportunity slip away from his hands.

While I expect Medvedev to be competitive, I expect to Nadal to found a way to lift slam no. 19 tomorrow.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I loved that moment with Rafa and the little boy

I was in Rome tournament a few years back,Novak was walking down near where fans can line up to get autographs,this little boy was pushed over by some adult mind you want Novak's autograph,Novak saw the little boy down and picked him up till he stopped crying and autographed his hat,waited for his parents to get him,great moment for Novak as well,I have always been a fan.

I have a great stat for Rafa regarding the outcome of tomorrow's final,I wont post it until the finish

Okay I better go before I am in big trouble from hubby....lol! Bye

Reactions: Bonaca and Moxie

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal in 3.

This really is a great slam for him. The win will guarantee GOAT status soon and he is locked in now for YE no 1 too.

The Djokovic shoulder injury is a real bummer, but in fairness Novak's slump two years ago made this (19 slams) happen.

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You think Nadal is a douche because you want to. Other "douche-like" behavior only falls in the category of "politically correct nonsense," I guess. Hard to square that though.

Oh, and Nadal shouldn't be classed as someone to look up to?

"Rafa did the same for Federer after he won the Australian open" --- A Youtube comment.

LMAO.

Reactions: Moxie

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal in 3.

This really is a great slam for him. The win will guarantee GOAT status soon and he is locked in now for YE no 1 too.

The Djokovic shoulder injury is a real bummer, but in fairness Novak's slump two years ago made this (19 slams) happen.

I'm sure Nadal's slump in 2015-2016 helped out your boy a lot as well. Because at worst, you're talking two extra slams for Nadal during that time (Roland Garros, obviously), one of which at the expense of Djokovic, making it a 3 slam swing (and robbing Novak of a career slam). These things have a way of balancing themselves out.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Isn't Medvedev the youngest slam finalist since Del Potro?

EDIT: I mean first time GS finalist.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I already did my fair share of wrong predictions lately, so I won't even try to make one. I will just say two things:

I wash checking the highlights of their Toronto match, boy that was slow. Comparing with what we are seeing here, it looks slow motion. And I found particularly noteworthy that Medvedev barely celebrated the semi-final win. You could say that that was a first round win of an ATP 250. He seems to be in for the big prize.
Do you also remember what you told me about Medvedev, when we debated before the event how far could he go? You were skeptical, I was more optimistic, thinking he could live up to his ranking and make his first QF, he fooled both of us.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Do you also remember what you told me about Medvedev, when we debated before the event how far could he go? You were skeptical, I was more optimistic, thinking he could live up to his ranking and make his first QF, he fooled both of us.

Yes, I remember... but I was being half sarcastic, and also was half joking, and yet another half just pointing out previous major results, which makes for 3 different halves!

Anyway, yes, I was expecting an upset for him in the early rounds -- even if I would not consider it alarming myself, just pointed out that people would draw Zverev comparisons in that case. Well, that one he put aside decisively.

One way or the other, Medvedev inserted himself in the conversation, because even if he loses, there is no shame in losing you first major final to Nadal. Maybe apart from clay he is a factor for all majors in 2020.

And, if we are remembering things, we did talked about Medvedev in quite positive terms back in February.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes, I remember... but I was being half sarcastic, and also was half joking, and yet another half just pointing out previous major results, which makes for 3 different halves!

Anyway, yes, I was expecting an upset for him in the early rounds -- even if I would not consider it alarming myself, just pointed out that people would draw Zverev comparisons in that case. Well, that one he put aside decisively.

One way or the other, Medvedev inserted himself in the conversation, because even if he loses, there is no shame in losing you first major final to Nadal. Maybe apart from clay he is a factor for all majors in 2020.

And, if we are remembering things, we did talked about Medvedev in quite positive terms back in February.

Yes, Medvedev this year clearly was one who was a lot talked about and scrutinized, but now we can assess how far he has come in relative short time frame.
3 years ago, when he was already 20y old, nobody has even hear of him, he was ranked 157 when 2016 1US Open was played. And now here he is in the final. He has passed several players who have broken through while teenagers.

Last edited:

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
If you were Medvedev’s coach, what would you advise him to do?

I just don’t see how he can beat rafa playing from that far back, just counterpunching. He has to analyze what djokovic, solderling, federer have done - play inside the baseline, take ball on the rise, be relentless with the attack. This is not the game medvedev has employed to make finals. It depends on rafa’s level of course but if rafa brings his best, medvedev would be lucky to win a set unless he changes tactics that have proven to be succesfull against others.

Reactions: tented