Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Naomi in 3 sets

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Naomi actually leads the series 1-0 claiming her lone win earlier this year in Miami first round.
upload_2018-9-6_21-22-59.png

Who wins this trophy? Will Naomi claim her maiden slam? Or will Serena capture history?

vs.
05openlive4-facebookJumbo.jpg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So the USTA has been kicking themselves because they didn't get behind her. Instead they lobbied for a bunch of scrubs who can't even make it out of the first round of their home tournament. :facepalm:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
i don't want this to come across as women-tennis bashing but both those semi-finals YES SEMI-FINALS were two of the worst SF's i ever seen for Grand slam standard and not a healthy sign for women's tennis. Let's hope the final will be a lot more competitive match. The australian open this year was a huge contrast to this rubbish.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serena in straights to tie Court!

Nah Come On. It's going to go the distance. For the sake of Women's tennis , a close three setter is NEEDED. I'm picking the Japanese Lass to edge out Serena Williams as i like the look of her (as in game), the way she uses her head and changes her game when required to do so.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
i don't want this to come across as women-tennis bashing but both those semi-finals YES SEMI-FINALS were two of the worst SF's i ever seen for Grand slam standard and not a healthy sign for women's tennis. Let's hope the final will be a lot more competitive match. The australian open this year was a huge contrast to this rubbish.
Don't worry. I get your message loud and clear. You said as much during the Wimbledon matches. I guess I'm a bit miffed. If you don't think that much of the women's game, why watch it in the first place? Why don't you just stick to the men who are clearly superior.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
also wasn't it refreshing to see the young lady from japan, following her win, she congratulated her opponent and was obviously happy to be in the final, but she did not over-celebrate and carry on like some pork-chop like a lot of players do on the ATP and WTA circuit. Very commendable stuff.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't worry. I get your message loud and clear. You said as much during the Wimbledon matches. I guess I'm a bit miffed. If you don't think that much of the women's game, why watch it in the first place? Why don't you just stick to the men who are clearly superior.

I'll say it again. The Australian open semi-finals and final this year by contrast was a lot more competitive than this rubbish. Of course i watch the women play from time to time, but just when it looks promising with a new generation of rising new stars, they all fall by the wayside.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'll say it again. The Australian open semi-finals and final this year by contrast was a lot more competitive than this rubbish. Of course i watch the women play from time to time, but just when it looks promising with a new generation of rising new stars, they all fall by the wayside.
Duh! You can't compare the AO semi's with these SF matches. Maybe you've forgotten who played in AO. You had 2 former #1's (Kerbie & Woz), the current #1 (Simona) and a lone outsider who's made her mark on the tour this year (Mertens). Of course those matches were going to be more compelling as those are top players. Keys was the highest seed left of this quartet. I'll say it again, I'm a little miffed.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't follow the WTA too closely, but isn't Osaka one of the most promising young players on tour? What a perfect final: past vs. the future.

I don't know Osaka's game well enough to have an educated prediction, but I think Serena edges her in three.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The problem with Osaka is she's never been here before. First time past the 4th round of any Major. Even before the USO she was erratic, to say the least. Yes she won Indian Wells including beating Serena , but oh my, she's had massive meltdowns in the early rounds of plenty of tournaments since.

Here's hoping she keeps her head and makes this a competitive final.

IF she can do that, she definitely has a shot, as she certainly has the game for it.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka has the experience of winning a big final (cheesy expression is IW is like a fifth major).

Osaka also has the experience of beating Serena (though in first round and when Serena was not in shape).

Now she has to put the two together and that is not going to be as easy as 1+1 = 2.

But, I am very confident that unlike a long list of WTA players (Dinara Safina, Sabine Lisiki etc etc), Naomi won't come to Ashe on Saturday and cut a sorry figure. Win or lose, she will fight valiantly and will make a name for herself independent of the result.

I am not ready to pick or vote now. But, will do before the match starts. I need to analyze more.

Last edited:

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Osaka can do it, If you compare her playwise before and after Baijin it's like night and day. Last year she was easily put out of control if something didn't go her way. She's learned to compose herself and concentrate in the right moments - otherwise you don't save 13 breakpoints of 13. Her gameplay has been way more sharp and precise and I like the cool, calm, collected and corny Naomi. And i like to see Baijin make his companion piece complete. Maybe some in the Wozniacki camp can see they were wrong - nah we'll never know. As I like Serena too I won't be sad if she wins - but keep Osaka in three.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am only scared of Osaka father...lol,,Serena knows Sasha is plotting against her and will be ready like she did in the Kanepi match.I will be praying for Serena to not make errors because Osaka is not making errors.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Duh! You can't compare the AO semi's with these SF matches. Maybe you've forgotten who played in AO. You had 2 former #1's (Kerbie & Woz), the current #1 (Simona) and a lone outsider who's made her mark on the tour this year (Mertens). Of course those matches were going to be more compelling as those are top players. Keys was the highest seed left of this quartet. I'll say it again, I'm a little miffed.
maybe i was a tad harsh but even when the top ranked players getting through, they have played in the s.f. and finals, where you see one-sided match mainly on the women's tour.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
go Naomi go, you have a mission now : save tennis

Reactions: Front242

Fefe26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Is there bad blood between Sasha and Serena? I know Sasha is looking for revenge.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is there bad blood between Sasha and Serena? I know Sasha is looking for revenge.

I don’t think on Serena’s part. I think he was kind of upset that he didn’t get an upgrade to coach at some point, and she decided to stick with Patrick.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sasha has been in revenge mode for a while even when he was coaching Azarenka the tension was there.He has fed Osaka some stuff about Serena and this girl cannot shut up about Serena.Osaka will be pumped up but Serena is aware of it all and a final at USA Open is a different story....just heard Serena say she has nothing to lose....lol