2015 WTA Finals - Singapore

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Congrats to Santina for total demolition. Too bad, they are from different countries and cannot play in Olympics together.

Congrats to Aga as well for stealing the WTF trophy :cool

I did not get to see either. I will try to get some highlights at least.

This is a great day for me. I was rooting for Santina, Aga and Fed and all three won. :clap :clap :clap

Ditto! All very satisfying wins; esp. Fed! To get past the player that's owned him for so long is a tribute to his resilience! If he had gone down in flames, I would have been the first to say "someone needs to retire!" IMO both should really, but the gutless play of the rest of the tour gives them air to breath and win when I don't think they should! :cover Martina's a marvel; winning more after retirement than most during their entire career! Congrats to all! :clap :angel:

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Just feels like an anti-climactic way for a season to end... Two players who didn't even make a slam final and went 1-3 against the top 8 in round robin play for the title.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
Just feels like an anti-climactic way for a season to end... Two players who didn't even make a slam final and went 1-3 against the top 8 in round robin play for the title.

Yes, this is actually the first time in history that someone with a losing record in RR won the event.

Well, at least the doubles played out fine with the dominant pair winning and finishing the year with 10 titles in total and #1 ranking and WTF trophy.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
sk310 said:

That's likely to happen when the top players don't show up! I wonder how much Serena's being chastised, fined, and punished for her lack of participation in their YEC? So far I haven't heard anything! :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy: :rolleyes:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think they are going to punish her too much when she pretty much held the WTA up with coverage most of the year. Let's face it Serena filled a lot of seats this year, so I would tread carefully on that one. Everyone else was pretty much a screw up or injured most of the season, so Serena pretty much kept the WTA on a life line this year. As much as I hated her decision, if it gave Serena the time she needed to get things right with herself and come back with an even fiercer outlook and game alright.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As much as Serena's presence was sorely missed, I kinda enjoyed the tournament. Not knowing who would win, all the upsets and a completely unexpected winner, like at the USO. If Serena starts declining not saying that she is!), this is what it will be like for a while. And that's not a bad thing.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think it could be a bad thing. I like consistency versus sporadic good play see Muguruza, Kvitova, Radwanska, Azarenka. Serena despite her up and down play at least makes it far which is admirable. Maria is usually very good about making it to the later rounds. Everyone else is terrible at it.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I enjoy watching someone really dominate the tour, but after a while I'm ready to see some different faces win some big titles.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh I'm not talking about domination. I am talking about consistency. I don't mind Serena not winning, what I do mind is Kvitova showing up for two months then bombing the rest of the year or Muguruza showing up for a month or two and then falling apart for most of the year or Aga putting together a good month and then flaking the rest of the year. I would rather see 5 or 6 people putting together a consistent QF or better run through out the year versus this now you see me now you don't crap everyone other than Serena and Maria do.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Oh I'm not talking about domination. I am talking about consistency. I don't mind Serena not winning, what I do mind is Kvitova showing up for two months then bombing the rest of the year or Muguruza showing up for a month or two and then falling apart for most of the year or Aga putting together a good month and then flaking the rest of the year. I would rather see 5 or 6 people putting together a consistent QF or better run through out the year versus this now you see me now you don't crap everyone other than Serena and Maria do.

Well, I do get what you're saying there. Every tournament I'm looking at the quarterfinals of a WTA tournament and have absolutely who the heck it is, where they came from, or what they even look like. It would be nice to see some consistency in the top players. We keep waiting for the Haleps and Muguruzas to take over but nothing yet. Aga is a player who uses every ounce of the ability God gave her and has done pretty good with it. Kvitova, despite being a two-time Slam champ and a former WTA Finals champ, is frustrating to root for but when she is on, wow. Serena and to a lesser extent Sharapova have carried the WTA for the last few years. Maybe Bencic is THE ONE we're waiting for.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
thank goodness the season is over...almost over well until Venus goes on her off season.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I don't think they are going to punish her too much when she pretty much held the WTA up with coverage most of the year. Let's face it Serena filled a lot of seats this year, so I would tread carefully on that one. Everyone else was pretty much a screw up or injured most of the season, so Serena pretty much kept the WTA on a life line this year. As much as I hated her decision, if it gave Serena the time she needed to get things right with herself and come back with an even fiercer outlook and game alright.

They wouldn't dare touch her on this one. I'm sure they're very disappointed, as are the fans, but this would not be the time to try to penalize Serena.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that Bozo from that magazine was calculating her penalties and they amount to 3mil..Serena sold out NY ....it would be a travesty if this new ceo penalized her considering his history at Indian Wells...he probably doesnt want a firestorm...he should tread with care because this can backfire on him..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
that Bozo from that magazine was calculating her penalties and they amount to 3mil..Serena sold out NY ....it would be a travesty if this new ceo penalized her considering his history at Indian Wells...he probably doesnt want a firestorm...

They won't fine her, or penalize her in any other way. That would be incredibly stupid, not to mention immoral.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
tossip said:
that Bozo from that magazine was calculating her penalties and they amount to 3mil..Serena sold out NY ....it would be a travesty if this new ceo penalized her considering his history at Indian Wells...he probably doesnt want a firestorm...

They won't fine her, or penalize her in any other way. That would be incredibly stupid, not to mention immoral.

They will not punish her in any other way. But, there will be some monetary loss. Even if they don't explicitly fine her, they will refuse to pay any share from the bonus prize money pool that the top players share. But, Serena would not care about it as she has plenty.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
WTA Finals Wrap Up!

No. 5 Seed Agnieszka Radwanska looked all but out after her second loss in the round robin tournament, but thanks to Sharapova's straight sets win over Halep, she sneaked into the semifinals with a 1-2 record. Once she got there, she played some amazing tennis and beat No. 2 seed Muguruza and then No. 4 seed Petra Kvitova 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in the final for the biggest title of her career. This is Aga's 17th tour title. Hingis and Mirza won their 9th title of the year and easily won the doubles title with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Muguruza and Suarez-Navarro.

Doubles Report

Brackets
Singles / Doubles

October-Singapore%20Radwanska_zpsu5uwr2ld.jpg
Hingis%20Mirza%20WTA%20Finals%202015_zpsssncaaq4.jpg

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Hingis and Mirza won 6-0 6-3. It is their 10th title of the year.

Thanks GSAM. Was it their 10th? I read somewhere it was their 9th. Must have been ESPN. :snicker I'll doublecheck and change it.

Just checked. It was their 9th title together this year. Hingis won one more with Lisicki back in January.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Hingis and Mirza won 6-0 6-3. It is their 10th title of the year.

Thanks GSAM. Was it their 10th? I read somewhere it was their 9th. Must have been ESPN. :snicker I'll doublecheck and change it.

Just checked. It was their 9th title together this year. Hingis won one more with Lisicki back in January.

No, No. Santina won 10 titles together this year.

IW, M, Charleston, Rome, Wimbledon, USO, 3 china trophies and WTF.