Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
largeimage_1081.jpg

Tier: Tour Championships
Prize Money: $2,150,000
Surface: Hard
Director: Peter Johnston
Tennis is booming in Asia, and in January 2015 the WTA unveiled its 13th tournament in the region: the WTA Elite Trophy.

The annual event, which features both singles and doubles, will be in the southern Chinese city of Zhuhai and run until 2019.

Following on from the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singaporel on the tennis calendar, Zhuhai's 12-player singles field will consist of players ranked between No.9 and No.20, along with one wildcard. The qualifiers will compete in a four-group round robin format, with the winners of each group advancing to the semifinals. The six doubles teams will be split into two round robin groups, with the winner of each advancing to the final. The tournament will have the addition of tennis legend Li Na as an ambassador.

The official players list looks like this - not bad at all IMHO:

11 Venus Williams (USA)
12 Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP)
13 Karolina Pliskova (CZE)
15 Roberta Vinci (ITA)
17 Caroline Wozniacki (DEN)
18 Sara Errani (ITA)
19 Madison Keys (USA)
20 Elina Svitolina (UKR)
21 Jelena Jankovic (SRB)
23 Andrea Petkovic (GER)
26 Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
WC Zheng Saisai (CHN)

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is good and all, sounds like fun, but I don't want to ever hear any of these ladies complain about the season being too long again. Cash your hefty checks with a smile and stop complaining.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I look forward to BLT, the Biggest Loser's Tourney

The 12 girls are divided into four groups and they have RR in each group with the four winners going to SF. The interesting thing about it is that, the format is tanking proof. No player can strategically tank a match to gain advantage.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The 12 girls are divided into four groups and they have RR in each group with the four winners going to SF. The interesting thing about it is that, the format is tanking proof. No player can strategically tank a match to gain advantage.

I hadn't considered that -- nor am I sure I completely understand your point -- but it's very interesting.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I hadn't considered that -- nor am I sure I completely understand your point -- but it's very interesting.

It is not too complicated. Each group has just 3 players and only the winner of the group move on to SF. So, if one player wins two matches, that player moves on as she will have 2 wins and the other two players will have 1 win and 0 wins.

The only other possibility is that all three end up with 1 win and 1 loss and in that case, the player who won most efficiently moves on to SF.

So, in no case is it in the best interest of a player to tank a match or a set or even a game, with a desire to manipulate the outcome.

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kirijax said:
This is good and all, sounds like fun, but I don't want to ever hear any of these ladies complain about the season being too long again. Cash your hefty checks with a smile and stop complaining.

But isn't that tournament a scheduled WTA event? It's not an exhibition, is it. Pretty sure I read that if you qualified for it and refused to play unless injured or other legitimate reason, the fine is 50K. Maybe someone else can confirm one way or the other.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
bajana said:
Kirijax said:

But isn't that tournament a scheduled WTA event? It's not an exhibition, is it. Pretty sure I read that if you qualified for it and refused to play unless injured or other legitimate reason, the fine is 50K. Maybe someone else can confirm one way or the other.

I thought they had filled their requirements for tournaments for the season. Does this tournament go into 2016's calendar? Maybe because it said January 2015 I was wondering when it was. And didn't a big wig in the WTA just say they need to cut back and here they are announcing an exciting new tournament with lots of cash! The ATP and the WTA need to provide a down time for the players. Maybe I'm missing something here but it just seems odd. And judging from the number of spectators in the stands, I would say that tennis is not booming in China. Money is maybe.

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kirijax said:
bajana said:
Kirijax said:

I thought they had filled their requirements for tournaments for the season. Does this tournament go into 2016's calendar? Maybe because it said January 2015 I was wondering when it was. And didn't a big wig in the WTA just say they need to cut back and here they are announcing an exciting new tournament with lots of cash! The ATP and the WTA need to provide a down time for the players. Maybe I'm missing something here but it just seems odd. And judging from the number of spectators in the stands, I would say that tennis is not booming in China. Money is maybe.

Isn't it the same tournament of champions that was held last year, but in Sofia? - also held the week after the YEC finals for the topmost tier. I don't think that Venus, for instance, would find an otherwise compelling reason to play an extra tournament at the end of the year

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
bajana said:
Isn't it the same tournament of champions that was held last year, but in Sofia? - also held the week after the YEC finals for the topmost tier. I don't think that Venus, for instance, would find an otherwise compelling reason to play an extra tournament at the end of the year

It is but the conditions are a bit different. In Sofia you had to win an international tournament to take part - here it was planned that players from 9 to 20 + a wild card should take part. From different reasons some of them have withdrawn - injuries and other reasons - not all are fined because of that.

10 Bacsinszky, Timea guess she was injured in Luxembourg
14 Bencic, Belinda ?
16 Ivanovic, Ana ?

So only three from top 20 missing - OK to me. Replacements are - good ones me think:

21 Jelena Jankovic (SRB)
23 Andrea Petkovic (GER)
26 Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
WC Zheng Saisai (CHN)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Those who serve as alternates for the WTA finals are exempt from playing in BLT.

Venus and CSN are the ALTs in Singapore. If they choose to they can bypass BLT without penalty.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
bajana said:
Kirijax said:
bajana said:

Yes, but the format and spirit has changed. Before it was the smallest winner's tourney (players must have won a title in a small event). Now it is the biggest loser's tourney (top players who failed to make it to WTA finals).

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The draw to the 4 groups:

Group A : Venus, Keys, Zheng

Group B: Suarez Navarro, Svitolina Petkovic

Group C: Pliskova, Errani, Jankovic

Group D : Vinci, Wozniacki, Kuznetsova

Let the games begin in 11 hours

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^ Caroline should get through her group without a problem, don't you think?

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
^ Caroline should get through her group without a problem, don't you think?

If she's committed to doing her best I agree but is she? that's the question.

Group C looks to be the most unpredictable.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Caro doesnt seem interested in tennis anymore...surprised to see her in the draw

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
all the girls of color in their own little block...wow didnt know they are doing quotas in tennis..yes going back to the 60s...oops my bad Madison said she is white...she will be representing pova and will follow her boss orders..#stopawilliams.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The players

CSunt0UXAAAyiYa.jpg

The tennis court

6356326298533989219891528.jpg

The setup

CSupCQCWoAAQb0u.png

If you look at it it looks like a better setup than in Singapore - me thinks.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
back to back matches for Venus...

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Watch this nice video about Zhuhai

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrfmV-c-fN8[/video]

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
bajana said:
Kirijax said:

that's all talk they have no intentions of fixing the schedule, they will lose to much $.