2015 WTA Finals - Singapore

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
2015%20WTA%20Finals_zps4vbirti4.jpg

The race to the 2015 WTA Fianls is heating up. Lots of players still have a chance as only Halep, Sharapova, Kvitova and Muguruza have qualified. With Serena dropping out, there are about eight or nine players fighting over the last four spots.

Qualified
1 Simona Halep
2 Garbine Muguruza
3 Maria Sharapova
4 Petra Kvitova
5 Agnieszka Radwanska

Serena Williams: Dropped Out

Not Qualified
6 Angelique Kerber
7 Lucie Safarova
8 Flavia Pennetta
9 Timea Bacsinszky
10 Venus Williams
11 Carla Suarez Navarro
12 Karolina Pliskova

There are still five more tournaments before the WTA Finals so there could be some interesting results in the next few weeks.

Tianjin Open (International)
Hong Kong Open (International)
Generali Ladies Linz (International)
Kremlin Cup (Premier)
Luxembourg Open (International)

ROAD TO SINGAPORE - SINGLES LEADERBOARD

Live WTA Race

2015 WTA Finals (Wikipedia)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: 2015 WTA Finals

1. Hope Flavia makes it, a nice accomplishment before retirement.
2. Hope Venus makes it; there must be a Williams in WTF.
3. Hope Bencic makes it; we need a young new face in this.
4. Hope Aga or Timea makes it; we need a girl with finesse.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

Any update on the status of Halep and Sharapova?

It doesn't look like Maria is really THAT injured and I imagine she wouldn't mind the points from a Serena free YEC.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

sk310 said:
Any update on the status of Halep and Sharapova?

It doesn't look like Maria is really THAT injured and I imagine she wouldn't mind the points from a Serena free YEC.

She must be really injured. She after all skipped Serena free mandatory event in Beijing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

This is the last week of tourneys that will be counted for the road to Singapore. There are three tourneys this week: Hong Kong, Linz and Tianjin. As per the rules next week's Luxemburg will not play a role in determining who gets to play in Singapore.

Can someone list the potential candidates who are in play this week.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Does anyone have a scenario of what each aspiring player has to do in order to make it to Singapore?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
Does anyone have a scenario of what each aspiring player has to do in order to make it to Singapore?

At this point there are so many. I tried but my computer started smoking so I had to give up. I think Pam Shriver has a chance if she wins a couple tournaments in a row. It's going to be a photo finish with several players just missing out by a few points. If I find an article that explains all the scenarios, I'll post it.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

Kirijax said:
GameSetAndMath said:

At this point there are so many. I tried but my computer started smoking so I had to give up. I think Pam Shriver has a chance if she wins a couple tournaments in a row. It's going to be a photo finish with several players just missing out by a few points. If I find an article that explains all the scenarios, I'll post it.

Oh Pammy...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Kirijax said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Yes, this year things are weird.

In ATP, it is boring with four open slots open and only four serious contenders left.

In WTA, someone posted (hoergren?) about 10 days ago saying that about 27 different
players still have a mathematical chance of making it to Singapore. I am sure that number
would probably have come down to 16. Even then it is way too high considering that
this is the last week of countable tournaments before Singapore and only four slots are
left.

So, in other words, it has become boring to follow it in WTA also.

The race becomes interesting when the number of contenders is manageable.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Hope Garby make it, she is a young new face, has a good future and will give more than a headache to the #1, 2 and 3 :cool: :popcorn

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Carol35 said:
Hope Garby make it, she is a young new face, has a good future and will give more than a headache to the #1, 2 and 3 :cool: :popcorn

Garby is already in. You are in what bubble?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

I know she is in, I meant I hope she wins the WTA finals

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

If she can get over her injury (leg?), she has a good a chance as any. I would love to see Bencic make it in and the two of them meet in the final. That would be fun to watch.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

Penetta just lost. Now it's a waiting game for her to see how the players below her do. Venus seems in trouble in Hong Kong.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kirijax said:
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

If she can get over her injury (leg?), she has a good a chance as any. I would love to see Bencic make it in and the two of them meet in the final. That would be fun to watch.

It was the ankle, she says it's ok now but she rather to rest a little bit after to play several tournaments, smart girl :cool:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

sk310 said:
Penetta just lost. Now it's a waiting game for her to see how the players below her do. Venus seems in trouble in Hong Kong.

Venus rights the ship, 6-4 in the decider

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

kskate2 said:
sk310 said:

Venus rights the ship, 6-4 in the decider

Whew. I thought she was jumping on the Pennetta rocket to nowhere for a while. Go, Venus!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

sk310 said:

I think WTA will be gracious enough to give Flavia a wild card to Singapore.

On related news Safarova, a contender, also bites dust.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Venus has a good chance. She is currently at #11 in race. But two players above her (Lucie and Flavia) have lost in the first round and two players above her (CSN and Timea) are not playing this week. A good chance to qualify. If she does she will be in WTF after a long time (2009 I think).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Kerber and Radwanska are almost a shoe in for Singapore now.

I think Venus will win Hongkong and make it.

I think Flavia will get wild card.

That would complete the field along with Halep, Maria, Garbine and Kvitova. However, at least one of these, if not more, will choose not to play due to injuries and that will open the door for Timea.