2015 Wimbledon Final: S. Williams vs. Muguruza

Who ya got?

• Total voters

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Given the weight of the occasion. I imagine Serena will get Arthur Ashe treatment for all of her matches. She might even get a leg up on scheduling. I can't imagine how excited American fans are going to be this summer. U.S. Open might even get record attendance. What a complete turnaround from last year.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's still on, eh? Great effort by Garbine, but Serena is in a mode right now. Only one defeat all season so far? I wonder what kind of prep she'll do for the US Open. try decimate the opposition through the summer, or build up slow, peak at the right time? At the moment, it's all on her racket. There isn't anyone even close to stopping her making history...

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well her schedule right now is Swedish Open, Stanford, Toronto and Cincy. I imagine one of those tournaments will not be played before the U.S. Open. I would prefer she probably ditch Stanford. Clay is forgiving on the body a bit more if she is going to Sweden. She might be obligated if she accepted an appearance fee.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Muguruza will be a great champion one day...if she gets stronger mentally she will be the leader of her generation.She seems grounded and respectful....
Carla Suarez Navarro and Mugu are having a season of their lives...:clap

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5xPshgaC9E[/video]

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Vika definitely has the ability to beat Serena, big stage, small stage, medium stage. You name it. Maria? Not so much.

Sorry not Vika either. If you all are waiting for Vika to beat Serena don't hold your breaths.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:
Well, Vika will be ranked to high to face Serena before the 4th round after her run here at Wimbledon.

Really? Would not hold my breath for that one either.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I really hope Serena comes out fast and strong. This match has me on edge.

SMG, I thought I was bad but you are worse than I am...lol. Usually I can't stay at home I have to leave because I get real nervous and my stomach is all upset. I literally cannot do anything in moments like these when Serena is playing. I have not seen the match yet. I am going to dinner tonight and when I return home I will relax and watch the match without any anxiety because I know the outcome.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am so excited for American fans! I hope they come out in droves to support Serena. I know I will be purchasing tickets to go see her perhaps achieve history. I really do hope so many come out to support Serena in this endeavor. I am sure they are going to keep her on Arthur Ashe for as long as she is still in it. I wonder if she makes it to the final if they will move it to a night match. There is so much that the U.S. Open can do that I hope they do. They have never had a better advertising moment in come out and support our girl in the quest for history.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OMG the twitter verse is roasting pova s agent...

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
when was the last time an Adidas woman won a slam...seems like its been forever.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Evert talks and talks arggh...she talks like she gave birth to Serena...one would think she is Oracene.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
There is no other suitable thread and so I am posting this message here.

Congratulations to Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis for winning the Ladies Doubles title at Wimbledon. :celeb:
This is their first GS doubles title together and I am sure there will be few more to add for this pair. :clap

This is Sania's first ever Ladies Doubles GS title. But, for Martina this is the 10th Ladies Doubles GS title.

Finally, Martina still has a chance to win one more title in this Wimbledon. She is playing in Mixed Doubles Finals tomorrow with Leander Paes and they are the favorites in that final. Good luck to them.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If anyone has a link to her interview with Andy Roddick, I would love to see it. Apparently, it was great.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yC1Ky6DFaI[/video]

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After to watch the replay and see how Garbine lifted the game from 5-1 to 5-4 breaking Serena a couple of times more I can't believe that she lost the match when she was serving :( :cover :dodgy:
But anyway I think it was a great match and tougher for Serena than many people thought before the match

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
After to watch the replay and see how Garbine lifted the game from 5-1 to 5-4 breaking Serena a couple of times more I can't believe that she lost the match when she was serving :( :cover :dodgy:

I would not be surprised if more WTA matches are won by the returner in the last game than the server. I am sure WTA will not release such stat as it would put them in a bad light.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think if it were anything other than a final at a slam we wouldn't have seen that from Serena. I think once she achieves what ever numbers she achieves then we won't see this type of tightness from her.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think if it were anything other than a final at a slam we wouldn't have seen that from Serena. I think once she achieves what ever numbers she achieves then we won't see this type of tightness from her.

I agree that for Serena it is an exception. But for a typical WTA player it is common. Let us not sugar coat this. Many prefer to receive after winning toss.