• Poll closed .

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
nehmeth said:
:nono

"During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Link http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

I could have sworn I posted something similar just a couple days ago! I missed the round of golf saying he came out unshaven, hungover, smoking a cigarette! :nono :cover :angel: - Hopefully no one else will suggest Serena could beat a man ever again! :cover :rolleyes:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Front242 said:
She wouldn't score a single point against Karlovic, Isner, Raonic or anyone with a big serve unless they double faulted or hit some really slow second serves. Bear in mind also that the WTA use different balls which makes their serves faster. If she used the men's balls she'd be serving slower. I recall a ball from one of the WTA matches was hit onto one of the men's courts before and they picked it up and just laughed 'cos if the guys hit it they'd all be serving a-bombs.

I didn't realize they manipulated the ball quality between the 2 tours! I know when I played I considered what surface I was playing on; determined the balls selected! On clay I liked a heavier ball that bounced higher like those "pressureless" Tretorns ball! Conditions were heavy indoors and I usually went with Penns! I taught and played matches on a gym floor that was like playing on grass and something in-between like a Wilson would do! Anybody else care? :angel: :dodgy: - With today's big-headed rackets, IDK what I'd do if I still played! :puzzled :nono

Yeah, the WTA balls are lighter and hence why many women's matches look like they're being played on a different surface to the men's matches such is the speed difference on serve and ground strokes.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
To get back on track...
...Congrats to Djokovic and all of his fans!

I just have to defend my gender when the boys drag in the old equal pay, etc. I know they all sneer, but I don't care. :nono Yes, back on track, so people can keep discussing the match.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Isn't it the case right now that there is equal pay for ladies in all GSs? I thought Wimbledon was the last one to do sign up for equal pay and they did so in 2008 or 2009 or so.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Isn't it the case right now that there is equal pay for ladies in all GSs? I thought Wimbledon was the last one to do sign up for equal pay and they did so in 2008 or 2009 or so.

Good job getting back on topic. You can read back why it got off.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Because people were rightly questioning why the far lesser players get equal pay for lesser work

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ Because people were rightly questioning why the far lesser players get equal pay for lesser work

Darth, we've had this argument in many places over many threads. I doubt the mods are interested in us having it here. Start a thread, and I'll debate you there. (*spoiler alert* Same old arguments, and same hard-headed results.)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The only debate is whether we can prove more fans worldwide go to women's tennis matches and whether more worldwide watch women's matches on TV. The tough part is the majors and other tournaments where they are playing at the same time.

I understand both arguments, I'm just of the opinion that it's silly that people who play/work at a much lesser level can make the same as those who are superior. Just think how much less WNBA players make than the NBA players and it absolutely should be that way. And that to me outweighs the possibility that there is as much interest in womens' sports as there are in mens'. Call me old-fashioned

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think my favorite thing about this match was how he really took it to the crowd. As alarming as it was to see his rage at the crowd, he certainly used it to motivate himself past not being the crowd favorite. I hope he watches the video of this and sees that this is how you pump yourself up when a crowd is not in your favor. Hopefully, this is a turning point for him and dealing with hostile or non-favorite crowds.

kro2488

Club Member
Reactions
I felt like Roger should have come to the net more, just he has to make sure he is decisive about what he wants to do, and serve and volley on first and second serves. But perhaps trying to mix it up was a little better, who knows. Getting into the long baseline exchanges isn't going to work for him anymore, he makes too many errors, there were times he looked like he was going to come in then changed his mind, you can't play aggressive at the net when your indecisive. You just have to know that your going to get passed here and there but if you hit good volleys and make the passing shots hard it should pan out down the road, he is one of the few players who can actually do it routinely if he doesn't make bad volleys. It's actually amazing. I don't really like Djo that much, so I was kinda hoping Fed might somehow pull it out, but it just wasn't going to happen this time. Woulda been nice to see him get one more Wimby.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think my favorite thing about this match was how he really took it to the crowd. As alarming as it was to see his rage at the crowd, he certainly used it to motivate himself past not being the crowd favorite. I hope he watches the video of this and sees that this is how you pump yourself up when a crowd is not in your favor. Hopefully, this is a turning point for him and dealing with hostile or non-favorite crowds.

When I watched the match, I was thinking to myself, "If they won't cheer for your best shots as loudly as when you miss, why don't you make it so they have nothing to cheer about?" After the rain delay, he went out there and was almost perfect. He shut them up, and I hope (as you do), that this will be a big positive for him going forward..

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with you Kro. I could not remember a Fed match in which his hesitation and indecision was as obvious as in this one. He needs to have more commitment to his decisions. Contrast this to his match against Andy where he was so sure of his actions and there was no hesitation.

Of course, indecision comes from insecurity. Insecurity comes from your personal feeling that your game is not good enough against your opponent. In other words, as Serena says ``tennis is mostly mental, you win or lose it before the first ball is struck''.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

When I watched the match, I was thinking to myself, "If they won't cheer for your best shots as loudly as when you miss, why don't you make it so they have nothing to cheer about?" After the rain delay, he went out there and was almost perfect. He shut them up, and I hope (as you do), that this will be a big positive for him going forward..

Novak has already learnt to deal with non-supportive crowds and this is not a turning point for him in that regard.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:

It was actually the thing that really made me root for Novak, that the crowd were so gushing and one-sided, all the knobs and snobs, and Hollywood cronies, cheering for Federer, fingers crossed, that sentimental "Wodger as weligious experience" crap, that I could totally get where Novak was coming from, and I agree with GSM, it's a sign he's learned to handle a hostile crowd, one which didn't seem to understand or appreciate how well he was playing. At one stage, he roared at a tool in the cheap seats who was trying to put him off.

I dunno how many "tennis fans" you get at a Wimbledon final, compared to the other slams, but whatever, I was glad for Novak that he stuck to his guns and shut these jewellery-rattling trolls up at the end...

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nehmeth and all other Nole fans..many congrats for your guy. I am back to sulking at another missed chance

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ftan said:
Nehmeth and all other Nole fans..many congrats for your guy. I am back to sulking at another missed chance

Thank you ftan. That Roger is presently competing better than everyone else in the world is small comfort I know. I think he will have another opportunity to avenge the loss this September. :)