2015 U.S. Open (Women)

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
now her agent will really go nuts..all his charges are losing early Keys Robson and Sock

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:
Why would she wait until the draw comes out? Makes no sense. :nono

I suspect she was afraid withdrawing any earlier would have compromised her appearances/endorsements in NYC.

If she knew she was going to withdraw, they could have set the seeds up better. Now there's a gaping hole for Ivanovic to fly through to the semifinals.

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:

I suspect she was afraid withdrawing any earlier would have compromised her appearances/endorsements in NYC.

Or - and most likely - was hoping she might have been able to play, and finally got a no-go

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I'm not surprised Maria withdrew from tournament. We saw her practicing Saturday afternoon and she did not look good. She was barely moving during practice for any balls. We watched her for 20 minutes and she just never looked comfortable out there.

We saw the pocket rocket (Domi) and she is a beast during practice! She practiced with the same intensity which she plays.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well that leaves that second quarter in an interesting situation. Not that I expected Maria to go far.

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
bajana said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:

Or - and most likely - was hoping she might have been able to play, and finally got a no-go

I agree that she was hoping the leg would be better, the appearances/endorsements would have still occurred had she withdrawn earlier.

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
Kirijax said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:

If she knew she was going to withdraw, they could have set the seeds up better. Now there's a gaping hole for Ivanovic to fly through to the semifinals.

I suspect her 1st preference was to play, ergo the last minute WD. I wouldn't expect any player to be concerned with the affect on the Draw in that situation, their focus is on whether they can play or not play. At any rate, I hope Ana keeps her head together to make that semi final, might help her confidence for the rest of the year.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Bounce It !! said:
bajana said:
tented said:

I agree that she was hoping the leg would be better, the appearances/endorsements would have still occurred had she withdrawn earlier.

Perhaps, but I doubt they would have been happy about it.

For example, Citi would not have wanted to spend money promoting an event in which Sharapova appeared, had they known she had already withdrawn.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:

Come on, you know Ana cannot do such miracles. This changes nothing for Ana as she probably would not even reach QF to begin with.

I completely support Tignor's prediction that young Sviolotina comes out on top of this quarter when all is said and done.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kirijax said:
tented said:

Come on, you know Ana cannot do such miracles. This changes nothing for Ana as she probably would not even reach QF to begin with.

I completely support Tignor's prediction that young Sviolotina comes out on top of this quarter when all is said and done.

Yeah, ok. There was hoping there on my part. ;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Instead of Maria vs. Daria, the match now becomes a Daria vs. Daria affair. Daria Gavrilova will play her alterego Daria Kasatkina, the lucky loser from Russia.

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Instead of Maria vs. Daria, the match now becomes a Daria vs. Daria affair. Daria Gavrilova will play her alterego Daria Kasatkina, the lucky loser from Russia.

I see it as Daria K as the lucky loser, mostly likely will go one and done. Daria G is the lucky lady, as she now has a clear shot to to 3rd round, and maybe 4th, depending on which Kuzy shows up ;-)

Also I was looking for, but didn't find, the TF private group in the WTA, or ATP, TC tourneytopia draw challenge, thinking you would want to defend that Win at Wimbledon ;-) Any chance I missed it ?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Bounce It !! said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I see it as Daria K as the lucky loser, mostly likely will go one and done. Daria G is the lucky lady, as she now has a clear shot to to 3rd round, and maybe 4th, depending on which Kuzy shows up ;-)

Also I was looking for, but didn't find, the TF private group in the WTA, or ATP, TC tourneytopia draw challenge, thinking you would want to defend that Win at Wimbledon ;-) Any chance I missed it ?

Hey Bounce It, there did not seem to be much interest in those competitions among TF members. I was the only one who participated in WTA and there were just three of us (me, Kirijax and RB) who participated in the ATP section. So, I decided to give it a rest. But, If folks are interested we can do it again at AO of next year.

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Bounce It !! said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Hey Bounce It, there did not seem to be much interest in those competitions among TF members. I was the only one who participated in WTA and there were just three of us (me, Kirijax and RB) who participated in the ATP section. So, I decided to give it a rest. But, If folks are interested we can do it again at AO of next year.

I thought that may have been the case. It seems those of us that like to do the Draw Challenge, we just do , and opening up for others is fun, to an extent No response is the correct answer. 3 entrants for ATP is surprisingly low for this site. I initiated a private pool for the bluemoonball site if you are interested, both ATP and WTA

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
How come when in the middle of her career Serena started missing big stretches of time/tournaments she was KILLED in the media? They said she was over and done and wasting her talent. Yet Sharapova has done the same thing for years and everyone acts as if it is normal? Nobody questions her injuries nobody questions her commitment (except diehard WTA fans). I'm sorry if thats not a double standard I don't know what it is.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are my picks:

QFs: Serena vs. Belinda, Svitolinva vs. Ana, Stosur vs. Caro, Vika vs. Simona

SFs: Serena vs. Svitolina, Stosur vs. Vika

F: Serena vs. Vika

W: Serena.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Here are my picks:

QFs: Serena vs. Belinda, Svitolinva vs. Ana, Stosur vs. Caro, Vika vs. Simona

SFs: Serena vs. Svitolina, Stosur vs. Vika

F: Serena vs. Vika

W: Serena.

I'm really curious to see Vika's condition. I think she was really eying the US Open to come in healthy and wanted match play at the HC events. The pullouts could have been just preventative. If there is a small injury Im not sure we'll see her make it that far.

I don't know about Stosur. She's always a threat I guess but more often then not a dud. I like your predictions for Bencic and Svitolina. I think there will be at least 1 or 2 young faces in the QFs and on.

F

franmayo40

10sfan said:
Tenfan63 said:
Does anyone know what happen to Taylor Townsend? Is she playing in the US Open Qualifying?

TT won qualifying round of 128 today.

She lost in the 2nd Round of the qualifier. I do believe she's in the women's doubles draw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk