Name: US Open
Place: Flushing Meadows, New York City
Date: Aug 31 - Sept 12
Tier: Grand Slams
Prize Money:
Surface: Hard
Defending Champion: Serena Williams

Tournament Central
Draws: Singles / Doubles (Will be posted after they're announced!) / Qualifying Singles

Potential Quarterfinals:
Serena vs. Pliskova
Sharapova vs. Ivanovic
Wozniacki vs. Kvitova
Halep vs. Safarova

Seeds:

USO%20Top%20Seeds%20Women_zps7eljijus.jpg

72eab2ea-685c-4fa5-a1cb-fcc46952c261_zpshjjqesbx.jpg

No. 1 Serena Williams
No. 2 Simona Halep
No. 3 Maria Sharapova (withdrew because of injury)
No. 4 Caroline Wozniacki
No. 5 Petra Kvitova
No. 6 Lucie Safarova (lost in 1st round)
No. 7 Ana Ivanovic (lost in 1st round)
No. 8 Karolina Pliskova (lost in first round)
No. 9 Garbine Muguruza
No. 10 Carla Suarez Navarro (lost in 1st round)
No. 11 Angelique Kerber
No. 12 Belinda Bencic
No. 13 Ekaterina Makarova
No. 14 Timea Bacsinszky (lost in 1st round)
No. 15 Agnieszka Radwanska
No. 16 Sara Errani

No. 17 Elina Svitolina
No. 18 Andrea Petkovic
No. 19 Madison Keys
No. 20 Victoria Azarenka
No. 21 Jelena Jankovic (lost in 1st round)
No. 22 Samantha Stosur
No. 23 Venus Williams
No. 24 Sabine Lisicki
No. 25 Eugenie Bouchard
No. 26 Flavia Pennetta
No. 27 Alizé Cornet (lost in 1st round)
No. 28 Irina-Camelia Begu (lost in 1st round)
No. 29 Sloane Stephens (lost in 1st round)
No. 30 Svetlana Kuznetsova (lost in 1st round)
No. 31 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
No. 32 Anna Karolina Schmiedlova

Announced Wildcards:
Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Louisa Chirico
Samantha Crawford
Nicole Gibbs, Sofia Kenin
Jamie Loeb
Sachia Vickery
Oceane Dodin

Think you know your US Open history? Name every US Open champ of the Open Era (1968-2014) in order!
U.S. Open Champions Quiz
EvertGrafWilliams%20sm_zpsts7imjqc.jpg

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The seeds for the USO women's tournament are announced! Went exactly the same as the rankings with no one dropping out or withdrawing. Yet.

Article

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think this is the first time that Plisokova got seeded in top 8 at any GS. Good luck to her.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena is going for the Grand Slam, but she is also going for the record of US Open titles in the Open Era. She is tied with Chris Evert right now with six.

Molla Bjurstedt Mallory has the record before the Open era with eight. Her last title was in 1926.

CNVjwVpUAAAe-zO.jpg

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena can do a lot with this win! Grand Slam, most U.S. Open title in the open era, tie Graf. Good thing the media seems to only be focusing on the first one. That being said I can't imagine that anyone who plays Serena won't be gunning for her hard to be the one who stopped her from the Grand Slam.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Before seeing the draw, who do you think has the best chances of stopping Serena? You may name up to three players. Remember, we are not talking about this player winning USO, just stopping Serena. My choices are 1) Serena, 2) An unknown player considered very safe for Serena and 3) Vika. Only problem with Vika is she may not even reach that far in the draw to see Serena. If they were to meet, it will be in R4.

Woz is in terrible form this year and she cannot dream. Ana I is mentally weak to beat Serena.
I actually don't give any chance for Halep as the only way she can beat Serena is in finals. If Serena reaches finals, she is not going to lose to anybody.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tough one. The only one I can see right that can beat Serena is herself. Does that count as one? :snicker

Some unranked player in the first three rounds with nothing to lose is probably Seren's biggest threat. Of the seeded players, I'll say Halep, Bencic and Azarenka. But once Serena gets to the QF, beating her is one of the hardest things to do.

K

KatrinaMoore

Does anyone know what happen to Taylor Townsend? Is she playing in the US Open Qualifying?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is so hard to say. I feel like Serena got herself in a good place by working through her nerves and winning a tournament.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think we all need to consider the counter that while Serena may have nerves I don't think it will be anything compared to the thought of the nerves of her opponents closing her out and denying her the one achievement she hasn't won if it gets to that.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
they are going to throw the kitchen sink at her...players like Bencic.Sloane.Muguruza,Cornet,Kerber,Lisicki,Azarenka,Ivanovic,Jankovic....she will be aight

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Tenfan63 said:
Does anyone know what happen to Taylor Townsend? Is she playing in the US Open Qualifying?

TT won qualifying round of 128 today.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let's not be dramatic. Who is really fit to play? I mean the only people that come to mind are Halep and Kerber. Everyone else has either been injured or played craptastic this summer. Points to Sharapova, Azarenka, Wozniacki, Muguruza....blah, blah, blah

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nobody is being dramatic its reality that they will do anything to try to stop her.USA Open has always been hostile towards Serena from footfaults to scheduling and silly fiines and shaddy umpires and line judges booes..its well documented..
then most players play GOAT tennis against her e.g Heather..
the good thing is baring injury they will not stop her...#22

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In all honesty, Serena has been there for the taking all year with her up and down play. It is just that her will to win has been much greater than losing her matches. I mean especially her play at Roland Garros, Toronto and Cincy left a lot to be desired. She has been very fortunate to blow hot at just the right moments during her matches.

I still don't think the U.S. Open has a conspiracy against her. All of her drama has been in the past. She has enjoyed some of her most consistent tennis here over the last few years. Last year's draw was a cake walk. Scheduling has always been a nightmare period at the U.S. Open for everyone. Her draw won't be too bad because most of the players who could give her issues are probably looking to hit around the 3rd or 4th round.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If you look at Serena at the slams this year, all of her big troubles usually hit around the 3rd/4th round. All of her 3rd round matches this year have been 3 setters.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Tenfan63 said:
Yes - she won her first match.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
nobody is being dramatic its reality that they will do anything to try to stop her.USA Open has always been hostile towards Serena from footfaults to scheduling and silly fiines and shaddy umpires and line judges booes..its well documented..
then most players play GOAT tennis against her e.g Heather..
the good thing is baring injury they will not stop her...#22

Don't agree with most of what you have to say. However, I do agree with you that they will do everything and anything to stop her. Yep - your post is on target.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I disagree there. I can't think of anything they will want more than for her to complete the Grand Slam: an American player with the ability to complete a feat that hasn't been done in 30 years at her home slam. I think she will get a very good reception. I am sure the U.S. Open is probably seeing an increase in sales because of the history involved. I think she will get good scheduling and Arthur Ashe treatment for all of her matches.