2015 Australian Open Final: Djokovic vs. Murray

Who ya got: Nole or Andy?

• Total voters

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
As for the friendships among the fiercest rivals, I can't say it doesn't exist, but I think it has more to do with being from the same country or growing up closely together more than anything else.

Let's be completely frank: who likes to lose in professional tennis even if it is at the hands of your "friend"? :nono

A year ago there was an interview with Nole in Serbian where he described his relationship with other players on ATP and he said that the atmosphere and the camaraderie is there but there were times where the big 3 didn't talk to each other from time to time; whether it was Roger and Rafa, Rafa and Nole, or Roger and Nole not speaking to each other. It's the nature of the beast. They are all competitive and they want to always win. Also some players deal with losses better than others (we all remember Rafa in 2011; Roger in some matches, Andy yesterday). I am sure that Nole does not feel as gracious as he looks in some of his biggest defeats, I think he forces himself and has trained himself to look upbeat and "happy" for the other party. But I am positively sure that he is never happy when he loses.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Carol35 said:
DarthFed said:
Carol35 said:
And you are a Novak fan, right? If Nadal has called the trainer it was because he had a reason, if not check by yourself how many times he has been OUT of the court :eyepop :(

I'm a Federer fan who does like Novak and his game. I do agree that Nole can be dramatic on court at times when things aren't going his way. Rafa saves his drama queen act for when he is off the court for the most part. As for fake medical timeouts how long have you been watching your precious Nadal? He doesn't resort to it as often anymore but the "suspect" timeouts were a big part of his and Uncle Homie's
playbook for quite awhile to break momentum.

I see......most of the Fed's fans "like" Novak, he is far of the number 18, isn't? :p
I like Novak, he beat 7 times in a row to Nadal, I know, I hear about it many times lol but not for that reason I'm going to dislike him, he is a superb player since 2011 with ups and down like any player, I just don't like his "acting" so much, that's all

I can confirm that Darth has always been sympathetic to Nole, it has nothing to do with Federer, all it is Nole. Although with Federer playing Nole, Nole doesn't even come into account.:D

I can also attest that there were many Nadal fans that fancied Nole but not after 2011.:D

About Nole acting, I'll say that Nadal could compete for the Oscars with Nole, so let's not talk about it, I think that is best?:laydownlaughing

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
Okay I went to Studio 54 and never saw my idol Borg
A case of wrong timing I guess...........:)..........my life story:)

I think that day he'd gone grocery shopping with McEnroe and Jimmy Connors.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
fashionista said:
Okay I went to Studio 54 and never saw my idol Borg
A case of wrong timing I guess...........:)..........my life story:)

I think that day he'd gone grocery shopping with McEnroe and Jimmy Connors.

Yep, he went grocery shopping with Mac :cool:

http://youtu.be/SwkpYD-_vrk

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
fashionista said:
There has been a lot of media out cry here in Sydney,regarding Novak's 'faking of injuries' during the final at the AO.Main question has been how can he look down and out and stumble and fall on court,then regain full physical strength handing Murray a bagel in the 4th set,he also appeared to be struggling against Wawrinka at times in their s/final match,then again handed out Wawrinka a bagel in the 5th set.
Murray said in his press conference,that he was distracted a few time,especially when he saw Novak fall? he then stated he should not have let that distract him,I agree with Murray's statements.

Wow poor Murray and bad Nole for distracting him when falling. How outrageous!!! I guess Murray never felt tired or had heavy legs from all that running in the 2 sets that "only" lasted 2.5 hours.:nono

Nole explained it well in his presser, he didn't suffer any injuries, just felt tired from the physicality of the tennis being played. But it was not the 1st time he felt like that on the tennis court so he knew that he needed to just survive that period of crisis and that he could regain his strength. Suffering recently from a virus might have aided in Nole's condition, he still sounds stuffed when he talks.

My friend's husband runs marathons and he says that the biggest problem for him is at the 30th km of the run where his mind has to help him a lot because he feels that his legs are made of steel and won't run anymore. If he is able to push through the next 2 kms, he usually finishes his races.

Murray should have been happy to see Nole struggle physically and take advantage of that, not be such a nice guy and let him off the hook.:snicker

Nole weathered his weakness (therefore Murray won set #2), who in their right mind would gladly lose an hour and 16 minute set just to play games????? his strength came back and he decided to play shorter points and go for his shots, win or lose. Being mentally tougher and better player than Murray, you get the ending like we had yesterday.

After the match Amelie was very fair and said that Murray wasn't distracted by Nole's physical issues, even though at the time of the match they were all screaming at Murray telling him that Nole was out of it. :puzzled

This was mistake that Nole made when he was younger, he used to make excuses that even though they might be valid for him, they were not for others so he learned how to deal with all that. Murray, the same age as Nole, has yet to grow up a lot, sorry.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:
but in the dark of a night club with a strange drink before them, dames in tight skirts and flashing lights and music, they had a rockin' blast!

That mix has led to all kinds of interesting outcomes!

1136.jpg

Imagine the shame that poor pig pheels when he wakes up and realizes that he took home such a dog. Hope his buddies don't phind out!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^ You have a problem with smaller dogs or what?:nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Djoker wants to meet Murray to console the Scot over Andy's inability to concentrate at certain times in the match.

“If there is a chance, if he’s willing to talk, I’ll talk, no problem. I have nothing to hide. I’m not the sort of guy who is pretending, who is trying to do something behind anyone’s back or is saying bad things about anybody, especially about him, someone I have known for a long time. I have respect for him.”

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Djoker wants to meet Murray to console the Scot over Andy's inability to concentrate at certain times in the match.

“If there is a chance, if he’s willing to talk, I’ll talk, no problem. I have nothing to hide. I’m not the sort of guy who is pretending, who is trying to do something behind anyone’s back or is saying bad things about anybody, especially about him, someone I have known for a long time. I have respect for him.”

If Murray and his potty-mouth fiancee would just learn how to shut up (deleting his Twitter account might be a wise move), then he would not have these problems.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy's rage has to be with himself mostly... if it spills over and out toward Novak, it's actually healthy. Otherwise the poor fellow might explode.

:blowup:blowup:blowup:blowup

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
I am sure about one thing, Djoker would never react in way Muzz did.

Its remind me on Roddick. But so far i havent see such friendly hug after loss by no one except Djoker. Fedal, Muzz are looking awas while shaking hand, and do it fast.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know. Who cares how Murray reacted. It must be tough to have to deal with such a tough and personal disappointment on TV. Not everyone is going to react great. I still like Andy. Kim Sears real-estate has only gone of up in my book rrrrhhh.

All the Murray bashing is getting old, IMO.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It never gets old! :D

In all seriousness, I do agree, it's tough to lose a slam final. Particularly the AO with the long wait for the trophy a presentation.

He didn't cover himself in glory in the last 2 sets, but he should of course get a pass for that. What i don't have much truck with is the whining about Nole's antics, when he does exactly the same thing.

I'm glad he's back competing at the highest levels. Tennis needs him at his best, particularly with Fedal weaker..

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

I really liked what Nole was quoted saying later in the article:

As for the status of his former friendship with Murray, which has inevitably cooled while the two have spent so much time plotting how to beat each other, Djokovic suggested that the arrival of a mini‑Murray might help to bring them back together again.

After all, Djokovic’s own status as a new father has defused the tension that used to exist between himself and Federer. These two now enjoy the chance to bond over feeding schedules, nappies and buggies.

“We have been rivals for the last couple of years, so we don’t get to be together as we would maybe like to on and off the court,” Djokovic said. “But now when he gets married and maybe has a kid we will spend more time. We’ll have an excuse. Things will hopefully be different in the future. I do look at him, Rafa and Roger as my friends, honestly, because I see them so much more than my parents and sometimes more than my wife. There is this special relationship that has been created with the number of years that we spend on the tour together.

“Of course you can’t really sit down and have dinners and chat about some intimate things because tomorrow you’re going to be on the court fighting for the biggest trophies. So at this point of our careers maybe that intimate and close relationship is not possible yet. But we’re all humans at the end of the day and I think we should consider that human side as a priority before sport.”

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Thanks for posting that, Nehmeth. I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Nole quote---really shows you what these guys are made of deep down. I often wonder what these guys are REALLY like beneath the carefully groomed, manufactured images. Nole does appear to be an emotional, caring guy who wants to be liked by everyone. Roger SEEMS nice but has a big ego and has perfected the art of making thinly disguised snarky comments about his opponents. Rafa also seems nice despite all his quirks, but he gets very testy when losing/not doing well and plays a lot of games. And I've heard that even Murray is a nice guy with a good sense of humor OFF the court.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^ There was an article from a Serbian reporter named Nebojsa Mandrapa in July of last year. It was titled: "About Novak from personal perspective". This reporter has known Nole from 2006 and has had about 100 contacts with Nole, in person...After each one of those contacts Nebojsa felt a bit of shame for having had some prejudices about Nole.

This story happened 1 day before London Games in 2012 and Nebojsa's flight arrived late and he hurried to the press conference where Nole was. Towards the end Nebojsa asked Nole if he could do an interview with him. Nole nodded his head. After everybody left, two of them were sitting alone and Nebojsa could see how Nole looked tired as he had spent previous 3 hours in media obligations. He still asked, thinking that Nole was going to say NO, if they could take a ride around some of London's landmarks and do a nice video story and how it would mean a lot to him. Nole listened to his ideas carefully and said YES, but only if he could choose locations. After an hour and a half they were in front of the Olympic village where a car was waiting for Nole. But there were 5 seats and 6 people so Nebojsa thought: that's it, no story how I wanted it. But Nole said: that's ok, you sit in front and I will go in the back, there is enough space for me behind the seats. :lolz:

They did the story, filmed and did their interview finishing in the middle of London Bridge and parted ways.

On his way to his hotel room Nebojsa was thinking: I can hardly believe this; here he was the best Serbian sportsman ever, the best tennis player in the world, the star of the Olympic games and he goes and sits way back in the car (in that space that looks like a trunk) all in order to make others more comfortable and to fulfill his promise.

I love Nebojsa's style and he has written many articles about Nole. Here is the link to the original article just in case: http://www.novosti.rs/vesti/naslovna/reportaze/aktuelno.293.html:500899-O-Novaku-iz-licnog-ugla-O-cistoti-duse

This story is especially for you lacatch:D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
It must be tough to have to deal with such a tough and personal disappointment on TV.

No, he should be used to it by now. Didn't he almost get double bagelled in WTF right
in front of his home audience (well, he is Scottish and so may not be home audience).

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:
It must be tough to have to deal with such a tough and personal disappointment on TV.

No, he should be used to it by now. Didn't he almost get double bagelled in WTF right
in front of his home audience (well, he is Scottish and so may not be home audience).

Yeah but the guy is human. Have you never had uncontrollable emotion? Also Andy did his song and dance. He just wasn't able to do it with a smile on his face. He could be more media savvy, but the guy is human.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:

No, he shouldn't get used to it. He's a competitor, a multiple time grand slam champion, and someone who's beaten these guys before. If he's "getting used to it," he's not doing it right.

I get people here don't like Murray but some of these arguments are laughable. What's the guy's biggest "crime"? He holds on to a body part and lets out expletives?

Or is it because he can't consistently beat the other 3? In which case, why is he put down for it at every moment while far inferior player who've been getting destroyed by these guys for years are getting championed (coughWawrinkacough)?

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
While people are @ Murray in GS Finals,how about Americans when did thay last make a mens GS Final,we could all be like this.Billie or should i call you Chirs from t4y,lol maybe you could clear that one up.Maybe we can talk about the Americans that are playing ATM,i'm sure your love to chat how great thay are doing right now.