2015 ATP World Tour Finals

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6fJGLMSqc[/video]

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan's wins in the big moments have been much more impressive than Murray's. Stan is about as inconsistent as it gets but his ceiling is way higher than Murray's. The level he displayed against Novak at RG this year was nuts the last 3 sets. Likewise he played great defeating Roger (sadly) before that. It's been said to death but that doesn't make it any less true, Murray's USO final win was mostly down to him coping with wind a hell of a lot better than Novak did. When the wind died down Novak won the next 2 sets of that final. Berdych's high ball toss was his undoing in their semi final before that match and the wind crucified his game. His couldn't win any points on his serve. Again, not exactly stellar opposition given that both couldn't play their games properly with the wind. Some players just handle wind better. When Stan has played Novak in both their slam encounters the last few years, his level was way more impressive than anything Murray has produced.

At the end of the day, sure Murray has won more titles because Stan was a late bloomer, but I for one don't think Murray's best is as good as Stan's. But obviously he's had a better career in terms of titles though there are a lot of mickey mouse ones in there let's be honest.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Stan's wins in the big moments have been much more impressive than Murray's. Stan is about as inconsistent as it gets but his ceiling is way higher than Murray's. The level he displayed against Novak at RG this year was nuts the last 3 sets. Likewise he played great defeating Roger (sadly) before that. It's been said to death but that doesn't make it any less true, Murray's USO final win was mostly down to him coping with wind a hell of a lot better than Novak did. When the wind died down Novak won the next 2 sets of that final. Berdych's high ball toss was his undoing in their semi final before that match and the wind crucified his game. His couldn't win any points on his serve. Again, not exactly stellar opposition given that both couldn't play their games properly with the wind. Some players just handle wind better. When Stan has played Novak in both their slam encounters the last few years, his level was way more impressive than anything Murray has produced.

At the end of the day, sure Murray has won more titles because Stan was a late bloomer, but I for one don't think Murray's best is as good as Stan's. But obviously he's had a better career in terms of titles though there are a lot of mickey mouse ones in there let's be honest.

So you're calling Slams and Masters titles Mickey Mouse now? :laydownlaughing

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Front242 said:

Hardly. As you said, he's won 34 titles. Work out how many were high profile titles/tournaments and how many weren't and the latter is more than double.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kirijax said:
Front242 said:

Hardly. As you said, he's won 34 titles. Work out how many were high profile titles/tournaments and how many weren't and the latter is more than double.

Don't need to. I have no idea who you are a fan of but have you checked Stan's titles? The guy's ceiling might be high but he is as consistent as a blind man playing darts in a hurricane while doing a riverdance. He's a deluxe version of Cilic. When you start comparing one or two brilliant performances to a long consistent career of constantly surviving and going up against the best, it's like you're saying Cher is a better actress than Glenn Close.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No disagreement with overall career results, simply saying at his best he's better than Murray. At his best actually it's hard for anyone to beat him.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
pavlik89 said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiboZk-sgDE[/video]

Thanks so much pavlik89!
I haven't seen the match live but watching the vid I saw a great shots and points. Rafa playing more inside of the court, fast and aggressive and Ferru trying all that he knows and running side to side like a windshield :D. Great match, much better than some posters have said. I'm glad to have seen it with my own eyes :popcorn :cool:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Still way too many short balls down the middle of the court with absolutely nothing on them just begging to be thumped away. On a faster court playing like that against anyone good he'd be annihilated. Ferrer hits a lot of short balls too but on average they're hit deeper in the court than Nadal's but obviously he's just a lesser player even now. This court is like slow motion though. Truly awful how slow they've made it. Reminds me of the late great Ray Harryhausen's stop motion effects in the Sinbad movies.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am thrilled for Florin Mergea. Together with Bopanna they upset today Dodig & Melo and make the final.
:clap

edit: Was not even close, 6-4, 6-2.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXh5tRLgJw[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmgNKEP6VU0[/video]

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Fiero425 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:
I don't think he'll be tired. First and second sets were so nondescript and listless it seems he was resting there anyway. I think he should have won this in two easy sets but I don't foresee it being an issue tomorrow...
Rafa game should be finally tuned. He should have a good feel of the ball and his confidence should be at its highest.. However, Fresh legs is a must to be highly competitive.

..and what will you say if Nole "routines" Rafa tomorrow? I think you guys are giving him much too much credit for "being back" and on the so called "incline!" To me, he's not doing anything spectacular; opponents gifting matches to him IMO! :nono

Well? :cover :puzzled :nono :angel: :p :ras: :eyepop

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
pavlik89 said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmgNKEP6VU0[/video]

Nole's been toying with NADAL! It's not even a contest anymore! "How you like that Rafa?" He's usually the one pulling the strings; running people from side to side and drop volleying them! :p :nono :angel: :clap :laydownlaughing

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, that Nole-Rafa match just answered a whole lot of questions. A disinterested Wawrinka and an absent-minded Murray fooled some of us into thinking that Nadal was back. Way back. But we are now back in reality with one of the greatest indoor players ever beating down on a player who has never played well indoors. Too bad one of the greatest players ever will never manage to win the WTF not even once. Yikes.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
I am thrilled for Florin Mergea. Together with Bopanna they upset today Dodig & Melo and make the final.
:clap

edit: Was not even close, 6-4, 6-2.

Hopefully the Bryan Bros can win today and then get some revenge in the final.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-a3HmkcpEs[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzCX9EdzwtE[/video]

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Roger vs. Nole for the title. Again. Just like I said the other day - Roger will have to beat Djokovic 2 times to win the title. I think we all know that Djokovic will be more prepared this time. Especially since Boris Becker was there scouting Roger - again...just like Wimbledon and the US Open. I find that practice of Boris's to be rather sad given that Nole hardly needs him to attend Roger's matches to "scout" him. They've played 43 times - there are no surprises left.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Well, that Nole-Rafa match just answered a whole lot of questions. A disinterested Wawrinka and an absent-minded Murray fooled some of us into thinking that Nadal was back. Way back. But we are now back in reality with one of the greatest indoor players ever beating down on a player who has never played well indoors. Too bad one of the greatest players ever will never manage to win the WTF not even once. Yikes.

I couldn't even be bothered to get up early on a Saturday to watch it. ;) I mean really. These days Nadal's as good as his opponent will let him be. Stan and Murray are both head cases. Nadal wins and suddenly thinks he can play indoors. Nole brings him back to earth. The end. On to practicing for next season and hoping Djokovic's level drops - substantially.:rolleyes:

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Question - How many different ways did Fed win matches this week?

Berdych - Drop shot clinic
Djokovic - Serving clinic
Nishikori - Grinding clinic
Wawrinka - Serve & volley\net clinic
Djokovic in the Finals - everything AND the kitchen sink clinic?

How many game plans has this guy got?