No. 7 David Ferrer
No. 8 Kei Nishikori

Alternates: Richard Gasquet, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Groups
CTpZucJUAAAEPF9.png

Updated (After Tuesday's matches)
CUSpoevUwAAK7KC.jpg

CUSpogtUEAE19Qk.jpg

Tennis Quiz: Name all of the World Tour Champions!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In the actual set of players participating, there has been 25% change.

Last year Marin Cilic and Milos Raonic were in it. They are out this year.

This year we instead have Rafa (who qualified last year, but did not play) and
Ferrer (who was ALT last year).

Last year's new addition Kei, retained his position.

Finally, Grigor may also be in London as a tourist this year as he said he wants to come to London this year. :snicker

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder if Nishi and Ferrer'll be able to play, both of them were injured last week

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:
I wonder if Nishi and Ferrer'll be able to play, both of them were injured last week

They play in Paris this week, Ferru just came up with the injury excuse after winning in Vienna and that was understandable.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Rafael Nadal attacks: ´It´s unfair that I played ATP Finals always on indoor hard-court´

'It's unfair that I played ATP Finals always on hard-court indoor, but the results got on all the surfaces allows us to have a chance to qualify. Playing indoor doesn't concern me, but we could have played on different surfaces than hard. ATP never gave me a good chance to win the Masters'

Yeah, they should move it on grass in Australia. That would give Wafa better chances:laydownlaughing

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Rafael Nadal attacks: ´It´s unfair that I played ATP Finals always on indoor hard-court´

'It's unfair that I played ATP Finals always on hard-court indoor, but the results got on all the surfaces allows us to have a chance to qualify. Playing indoor doesn't concern me, but we could have played on different surfaces than hard. ATP never gave me a good chance to win the Masters'

:huh:
You won the U.S. Open twice. You won Wimbledon twice. You won in Oz. But you're grumbling that the WTF has never been played on clay?? :s Get over it.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
nehmeth said:
Kirijax said:

:huh:
You won the U.S. Open twice. You won Wimbledon twice. You won in Oz. But you're grumbling that the WTF has never been played on clay?? :s Get over it.

Rafa's no "brain surgeon!" His sense of entitled has infuriated me since he was a kid and he still hasn't matured after all these years! What's so amazing, normally it's "punks" from my own country that get me riled, but Nadal rivals my animus for Roddick, Chang, Agassi, and Courier! Never cared for any of them who's whole act has offended me since their beginnings! The Masters hasn't moved around the world since the 70's so Nadal has no idea what that's like with the event being played on other surfaces! Vilas was a clay courter, but still won it in '74 in Australia on grass! Rafa really needs to get over it! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe we misjudge him... maybe what he is really getting at is that he wants to play on the old carpet!!

:-/

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe you misjudge him, alright. :dodgy:

He's making a fair comment, and over the years other players have qualified for the year end tourney by having great results on clay, but it's always played on the same surface. It changes venue, but not surface, etc. I don't agree with him, but I think you're all going to far and unfair on your anti-Rafa bias...

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:

He's making a fair comment, and over the years other players have qualified for the year end tourney by having great results on clay, but it's always played on the same surface. It changes venue, but not surface, etc. I don't agree with him, but I think you're all going to far and unfair on your anti-Rafa bias...

The reason I'm hard on him is because of all the success he has, he still says stupid things like this! I understand what he's talking about, but it's also something you "think" and not express publicly! Fine, don't be satisfied, but with all he has under his resume, lower ranked players don't need to hear this kind of "kvetchin'!" :cover :nono This jerk has a career GS, more money than he can spend, and world wide fame! "Go away Rafa" is all I can say after this! :cry

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

Sorry buddy, but no excuse to whine here. He is a 3 time GS champion on HC, so it would be better for him to keep his mouth shut, because he sounds ridiculous.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:

While the posters referenced might have some kind of anti-Rafa bias in general. I have to agree with Fiero. Rafa is so successful that these kind of complaints make him seem a little ungrateful and spoiled, even if there might be something reasonable underlying it.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
WTF is the culmination of the indoor part of the season and so is on indoors. What more logic is needed?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:

For 45 yrs, the chp has been played indoors either on carpet or cement, with the exceptions of '74 (grass) and '03-04 (outdoor HC's). Rafa turned pro in 2001. So 31 yrs before he turned pro, the ATP set this all up to work against him.

That must be it! The tour has been conspiring since he turned pro to guarantee he doesn't own a YEC chp! :cover :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Kieran said:

While the posters referenced might have some kind of anti-Rafa bias in general. I have to agree with Fiero. Rafa is so successful that these kind of complaints make him seem a little ungrateful and spoiled, even if there might be something reasonable underlying it.

Buddy, they all complain. On a sunny day in Paris, Novak moans if it doesn't rain. He gesticulates and cries about it, telling them, make it even fake rain! :laydownlaughing

Fact is, any appeals to tradition or whatever always was in this, are silly, not to mention misunderstanding tennis history. For example, brother Nehmeth's reply about how long it's been played on one surface (except when it was played on another one, and another one, etc). The answer to this is obvious: for a century the US Open was played on grass, then it went to clay, next year it goes indoor. The tourney we all associate with tradition - Wimbledon - had an indoor final in 2012. I don't need to go on with this.

A short indoor season isn't an answer either because I doubt many people complained when it went outdoors in 2003-2004.

Now, to be clear, I don't agree with Rafa and said so, but it's the usual anti-Rafa mob ganging up again, unfairly, as well as incoherently, rather than actually taking the time to think about what he's saying, which maybe self-centred (unlike Novak on a sunny day in Paris :snicker ) but still has a kernel of sense.

And of course, in 20 years from now when the WhatTheFeck is played in Spain, on clay, the same people will sit in front of their telly like this - :popcorn

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Riotbeard said:
Kieran said:

Buddy, they all complain. On a sunny day in Paris, Novak moans if it doesn't rain. He gesticulates and cries about it, telling them, make it even fake rain! :laydownlaughing

Fact is, any appeals to tradition or whatever always was in this, are silly, not to mention misunderstanding tennis history. For example, brother Nehmeth's reply about how long it's been played on one surface (except when it was played on another one, and another one, etc). The answer to this is obvious: for a century the US Open was played on grass, then it went to clay, next year it goes indoor. The tourney we all associate with tradition - Wimbledon - had an indoor final in 2012. I don't need to go on with this.

A short indoor season isn't an answer either because I doubt many people complained when it went outdoors in 2003-2004.

Now, to be clear, I don't agree with Rafa and said so, but it's the usual anti-Rafa mob ganging up again, unfairly, as well as incoherently, rather than actually taking the time to think about what he's saying, which maybe self-centred (unlike Novak on a sunny day in Paris :snicker ) but still has a kernel of sense.

And of course, in 20 years from now when the WhatTheFeck is played in Spain, on clay, the same people will sit in front of their telly like this - :popcorn

I see your Novak point as different. It is dumb to curse nature for not going your way of course (and maybe a bit annoying), but the equivalent would be if Novak complained about how the French Open is never played on hards. I mean come on the U.S. Open on Clay, hard courts and grass, why does Roland Garros have to be on the same surface. It really isn't fair :puzzled.

I also think it's different to be visibly annoyed in the heat of a final, than if Novak were saying consistently saying it's unfair that it didn't rain. What player has done this? It is always wonderful to seem them behaving this way, but Novak did not say the tour is unfair or anything, because of that. Novak has also had plenty of unlikable moments, and this is one of Rafa's.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also just for Feiro...

:popcorn

:devil:wave:emperor::gross::violins::spacecadet::velo::blowup:woohoos:cover

:basiate:hug:ras:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I know, I only pointed at Novak to show how predictable and easy it is to be partisan. It would have been more interesting if the mob mentality hadn't displayed, and instead people looked at tennis tradition as it actually is. That is, evolving and changeable. The WTF is an example of that...