2015-2016 NBA Playoffs

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The choke is complete. It was a more competitive game 7 than I figured but that's no consolation to OKC. Despite what the TNT broadcasters are saying I could see several reasons why Durant will want to leave town.

As for the finals I think Golden State in 6. They found their mojo with their backs against the wall this series and I think it will carry over. They will also feel extra motivated after all the talk last year that they'd have lost to a healthy Cavs team

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The choke is complete. It was a more competitive game 7 than I figured but that's no consolation to OKC. Despite what the TNT broadcasters are saying I could see several reasons why Durant will want to leave town.

One of those reasons should not be Russell Westbrook. They lost this series because of Durant, not Westbrook. Westbrook is a better player and he is in much better shape. Westbrook was not the one with his hands on his knees for half the playoffs, too tired to get open.

As for the finals I think Golden State in 6. They found their mojo with their backs against the wall this series and I think it will carry over. They will also feel extra motivated after all the talk last year that they'd have lost to a healthy Cavs team

Totally disagree. I think this Warriors team is a joke and the NBA should be embarrassed that they have allowed them to have this kind of success. Cleveland is a better, more talented team. The key for Cleveland is defending the 3. The Thunder did an inexcusably miserable job at it in Games 6 and 7, and that, along with Durant being out-of-shape and slow, is what cost them - not Westbrook.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Durant was horrid in game 6, no argument there. They had it all in their favor for game 6 and if Durant played decently they'd have won comfortably. On paper they didn't have much of a chance last night and it didn't help that Durant was the only one who showed up. But the one criticism for him would be he should've taken matters into his own hands sooner when it was apparent the rest of the team couldn't score.

We will always disagree about Westbrook. He is a great player, tremendous athlete and competitor, but he has his flaws. Poor decision making leading to what has always been inefficient scoring and that's a big part of today's game. Westbrook now fills the stat sheet up and is able to take over games in more ways than he did just a few years ago but he is flawed. That team would still be good without Westbrook but they'd be mediocre without Durant (which we saw last year).

I'd be surprised if Durant stays, I think it'd be a mistake on his part. Those guys are no longer young either. They both turn 28 near the start of next year, and when Westbrook loses a step or a step and a half it won't be pretty. Durant on the other hand could lose all his athleticism and still be a dominant scorer so he has many great years left.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I think Durant will and should leave town. There aren't enough basketballs to go around between him and the offensively inefficient Russ Westbrook. I'd like to see Durant on a decent team where he is the main focus on offense.

I think its unfair to blame Westbrook.. he is what makes that team so special.. Russell had 9 assists before the mid part of the 2nd qtr. OKC issue is that they do not have a supporting cast that can knock down the three ball with the same type of consistenty that the Warriors team can. Any other team in history would not have gotten past OKC but Curry and Klay Thomson are the best two sharp shooting marksman in NBA history. A lot of their 3 point shots were high contested just as the were in games 3 and 4 which they didnt make. However, Klay and Step knocked down jumper after jumper in 3 must win games. That's legenday stuff.. Dont blame Russell cause noOne was critical when he got then to 3-1.. Give the OKC credit, they played the best the could with what they have on that team.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
OKC had control of the series. The Warriors did what they were expected to do in games 5 and 7, take care of home court. The Thunder pissed away game 6 as both superstars played terribly and that was basically the series right there.

I think Durant makes the Thunder good/great more than Westbrook does (they definitely are not special). We saw what the team looks like without Durant as they didn't even make the playoffs last year. If Westbrook was out and Durant was in I think they definitely make the playoffs. He is the best player on that team. Westbrook is a great player and can beat teams in many ways now, but his main flaw is decision making and lack of control. He does not score efficiently and that's a big issue. Durant should get the majority of the shots on that team. If you had Russ shooting 15 times or less and Durant getting close to 25 that team would be a lot better. But I don't think they'll ever get to that point.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Well GSW did what they had to do, they were hot when it mattered and they defended well in crucial moments of the game. They had several steals in the last few minutes of both games 6 & 7. OKC reverted to playing one on one and not as a team so that is the reason they lost. It's the team that wins games. GSW just have the right kind of chemistry and they trust each other.

Should be good finals. Cavaliers seem better than last year, healthier and more rested, it seems so. I don't care who wins, just hope the games are exciting and there is 7 of them.:)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
OKC had control of the series. The Warriors did what they were expected to do in games 5 and 7, take care of home court. The Thunder pissed away game 6 as both superstars played terribly and that was basically the series right there.

I think Durant makes the Thunder good/great more than Westbrook does (they definitely are not special). We saw what the team looks like without Durant as they didn't even make the playoffs last year. If Westbrook was out and Durant was in I think they definitely make the playoffs. He is the best player on that team. Westbrook is a great player and can beat teams in many ways now, but his main flaw is decision making and lack of control. He does not score efficiently and that's a big issue. Durant should get the majority of the shots on that team. If you had Russ shooting 15 times or less and Durant getting close to 25 that team would be a lot better. But I don't think they'll ever get to that point.
Darth, review Games 1-5.. Westbrook was the one who allowed OKC to take the lead in the series..yes Westbrook can be an out of control talent but he does have the guts to take shots when KD fades or goes cold.. they are twins

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ No argument there, but you need 4 wins to close out the series. How'd they do when it came time to finish the job?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Durant was horrid in game 6, no argument there. They had it all in their favor for game 6 and if Durant played decently they'd have won comfortably. On paper they didn't have much of a chance last night and it didn't help that Durant was the only one who showed up.

How was he the only one who showed up? What are you talking about? In the first half, he got numerous touches where he was too slow in getting anywhere and passed the ball to offensively inept teammates like Roberson and Adams. Westbrook played a much better first half than Durant, and Waiters was better in some ways too.

But the one criticism for him would be he should've taken matters into his own hands sooner when it was apparent the rest of the team couldn't score.

Well the problem there is that he is too out-of-shape and that Iguodala is stronger than him. He was constantly failing to get open and when he did get touches, he got stuck and couldn't go anywhere.

We will always disagree about Westbrook. He is a great player, tremendous athlete and competitor, but he has his flaws. Poor decision making leading to what has always been inefficient scoring and that's a big part of today's game.

How did he make poor decisions? When he drives explosively to the hoop and scores, people compliment him. When he makes the exact same move and misses the shot, people say he is reckless and makes poor decisions. You cannot have it both ways.

Westbrook now fills the stat sheet up and is able to take over games in more ways than he did just a few years ago but he is flawed.

How exactly? The only way I think he is flawed is that his jumpshot needs work, but that isn't what you are talking about. The real flaws on OKC are the useless offensive pieces around Westbrook and Durant, most notably Roberson and Adams.

Who is Westbrook supposed to throw the ball to when his options are Roberson (offensive liability), Adams (no 1-on-1 game), Ibaka (solely a jumpshooter), and Durant (too out-of-shape to get open half the time)? What is he supposed to do in these situations - force it to Adams?

That team would still be good without Westbrook but they'd be mediocre without Durant (which we saw last year).

LOL.....and in 2013 we saw OKC lose 4-1 in the second round to Memphis after Westbrook got injured in the first round against the Rockets. Durant could not win more than 1 game without Westbrook in that series.

So there you have it.....mediocre without Westbrook.

I'd be surprised if Durant stays, I think it'd be a mistake on his part. Those guys are no longer young either. They both turn 28 near the start of next year, and when Westbrook loses a step or a step and a half it won't be pretty. Durant on the other hand could lose all his athleticism and still be a dominant scorer so he has many great years left.

Yeah, if Durant leaves, people like you will see once and for all that Westbrook is better and that Durant's shortcomings have nothing to do with Westbrook.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
DarthFed said:
It would be cool if he came East. If he joined Boston or Washington they could make things tough for an aging Lebron.

He said when he first entered the league that his favorite team was Raptors (because of VC), he is buddies with Drake, he texted with Lowry throughout the playoffs. If there was enough money and cap space, I would not mind seeing Demar, KD, Lowry together ;)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope Lebron (Cleveland) wins. We don't hate him like the ones that now are cheering for him but insulted him so much when he moved here with the Heat, bah! :eek: