2014 US Open Quarterfinals: Wawrinka vs. Nishikori

Who wins?

• Total voters

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Moxie629 said:
Well, somebody has to pick Kei, so I will. Humidity supposed to be lower tomorrow. We've all decided that Kei is not so fit, but maybe Chang has been working on him. I agree that coming back from the Raonic match will be tough. But I think Wawrinka has more pressure to perform, and if Kei is at least in decent shape, he could surprise Stan.

You are not alone....I am also picking Kei to win,Kei can absorb power,I dont think that will be a big issue for Kei in this match.I also agree the pressure is on for Stan to perform,lets face it he hasn't been Mr Consistent of late,hopefully Kei will be in good shape for this match

Stan's inconsistency is generally in making it this far. Once, he makes it this far, he is
not going to let Kei win this one. If Kei needs to get him, he should have played him in
Round 2 or 3.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Stan's inconsistency is generally in making it this far. Once, he makes it this far, he is
not going to let Kei win this one. If Kei needs to get him, he should have played him in
Round 2 or 3.

^^^ This. Wawrinka has played himself into this tournament and I believe Robredo "poking the bear" (thanks kskate) awakened something in Stan that I haven't seen since Oz.

I have nothing against the diminutive Japanese with the heart of a samurai; I just don't see Kei stopping him. :nono

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Round 2 or 3.

^^^ This. Wawrinka has played himself into this tournament and I believe Robredo "poking the bear" (thanks kskate) awakened something in Stan that I haven't seen since Oz.

I have nothing against the diminutive Japanese with the heart of a samurai; I just don't see Kei stopping him. :nono

I think this is a bit of hyperbole and romanticism. I don't see why Stan has been more awakened to his possibility at this point than Kei has. They will both see a tremendous opportunity.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
Moxie629 said:
Well, somebody has to pick Kei, so I will. Humidity supposed to be lower tomorrow. We've all decided that Kei is not so fit, but maybe Chang has been working on him. I agree that coming back from the Raonic match will be tough. But I think Wawrinka has more pressure to perform, and if Kei is at least in decent shape, he could surprise Stan.

You are not alone....I am also picking Kei to win,Kei can absorb power,I dont think that will be a big issue for Kei in this match.I also agree the pressure is on for Stan to perform,lets face it he hasn't been Mr Consistent of late,hopefully Kei will be in good shape for this match

Round 2 or 3.

Not necessarily true. We've seen him get to the QF of tournaments and then practically play himself out of a match (Wimby or summer HC ring a bell?). My point is, he is not golden once he reaches this stage. He was outplaying Fed at Wimby until he wasn't and then he was gone. It could happen here too although I think he will win this particular time.

Stan in 4 and not because others believe Kei will be toast, but because he has more weapons and is likely to use them more effectively tomorrow.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Round 2 or 3.

I think this is a bit of hyperbole and romanticism. I don't see why Stan has been more awakened to his possibility at this point than Kei has. They will both see a tremendous opportunity.

:D Of course it is!

When Nishi first came on the scene I said his body was too frail to hold up under the rigors of the tour. I just thought I'd throw the little fella a compliment. As a Novak fan I would be thrilled to see him take down Wawrinka. I just don't think he has the tools to do it.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Round 2 or 3.

:D Of course it is!

When Nishi first came on the scene I said his body was too frail to hold up under the rigors of the tour. I just thought I'd throw the little fella a compliment. As a Novak fan I would be thrilled to see him take down Wawrinka. I just don't think he has the tools to do it.

Kei has clearly added some muscle which should prevent some Injury better. I agree that I would rather for Novak's sake Kei win, but I like Stan and Kei also.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like Kei too RB. Adding the muscle should help somewhat, but his structure seems too "light boned" to be take the heavy pounding required to run with the big dogs.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Kei is a fantastic player. If both Stan and Kei are fully fit and recharged, then from a mental standpoint I might even give Kei the edge. I just find it hard to believe he's going to be in top shape after the Raonic match. For that reason I think Stan should come through this one comfortably. In fact, of all the quarters, I think this is the easiest call

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
It doesn't seem fair that Kei has to come back to play at 3pm today after finishing his match at 2:26am yesterday. I hope he has enough in him to put up a fight, but it will be extremely hard. Although Stan was feeling it against Robredo, so who knows. Players themselves probably don't know how they will perform today.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
It doesn't seem fair that Kei has to come back to play at 3pm today after finishing his match at 2:26am yesterday.

Would you rather Nole playing out in the hot sun instead of Kei?! :snigger

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Billie said:
It doesn't seem fair that Kei has to come back to play at 3pm today after finishing his match at 2:26am yesterday.

Would you rather Nole playing out in the hot sun instead of Kei?! :snigger

Well he did a couple of times in Australia and here when he wasn't #1 player. I didn't think it was fair then, and I think it is not fair now. They could have moved their match tomorrow easily, everything is on schedule and they can handle 3 quarter finals tomorrow.:snigger

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
Moxie629 said:

Round 2 or 3.

Not necessarily true. We've seen him get to the QF of tournaments and then practically play himself out of a match (Wimby or summer HC ring a bell?). My point is, he is not golden once he reaches this stage. He was outplaying Fed at Wimby until he wasn't and then he was gone. It could happen here too although I think he will win this particular time.

Stan in 4 and not because others believe Kei will be toast, but because he has more weapons and is likely to use them more effectively tomorrow.

No, may be you are not understanding me. I am not saying that once he reaches QF he
is good enough to win the title or to reach the final.

What I am saying is that once he reaches the QF, he is not going to lose to a player
to whom he is not supposed to lose. He is not supposed to lose to Kei and he will not
lose to Kei.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
kskate2 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
Moxie629 said:

Round 2 or 3.

No, may be you are not understanding me. I am not saying that once he reaches QF he
is good enough to win the title or to reach the final.

What I am saying is that once he reaches the QF, he is not going to lose to a player
to whom he is not supposed to lose. He is not supposed to lose to Kei and he will not
lose to Kei.

You're right I didn't understand as your original comment did not make that clear. Thanks for clarifying.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
great start from Stan. Hitting the ball cleanly and gets the early break 2-0

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Stan w/ 10 winners already. Kei w/ 1. 4-2 Stan w/ a break

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Stan is playing good. I think his confidence is up too. I am not seeing a way back for Kei today. If Stan wins today and wins quickly and convincingly, he will have a decent chance against either of the guys he might meet in the semis.

Early days though.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kei seems to have woken up since the first 3 games. Could make a match of it.